post #3211 of 4014 Old 04-12-2012, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I vote for Q's actually meaning nothing and BB could care less ..

I found much the same spirit when I had Dish. DirecTV's customer service would always do whatever they could... service credits or whatnot. Where with Dish you had to pay to ship their equipment back to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 4014 Old 04-12-2012, 03:56 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles R View Post

I have been trying them out with three at a time. After a couple of weeks my queue had a half dozen or more available titles (dozen or so short/long wait) and I only had one title shipped for several days. I called up to question what was going on and their excuse was that available meant it was simply available somewhere in the country or for a moment in time. It wasn't related at all to my distribution center so in actuality it means nothing.Since they have closed the three closest stores to me the in-store exchange is worthless. Which was pretty much the only thing they had going before. Also, quite a few of the titles I have been looking at are available only on DVD. TV series and features like the Bourne trilogy.

That was the most frustrating thing for me with BB. It's virtually impossible to manage your queue when you have no idea what's actually available. Especially since they don't ever cross ship titles from distant dist centers.

Last week I posted a picture of the unprompted notice I got from NF explaining that they had shipped me a different disc since the one I had wanted was not available in my local DC, but that they were also shipping that one but it would be late since it was coming from further away. It was kind of shocking after being used to the way BB does things. And this morning they sent me an email checking on my delivery times. They definitely know how to work the warm and fuzzies and I have to say it's working on me as it feels like a totally different type of experience

Attachment 243357

ron
LL
post #3213 of 4014 Old 04-12-2012, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
renting bd titles is really becoming a chore. bb is useless, literally useless. as a dish movie package sub i have free bb and we don't use it because........

it is useless.

nf plays games with their br titles, charges more for them, and limits your selection.

redbox has been the best of the 3, but the quality control at their kiosks suck.

i've rented 3 bd from them that wouldn't play. they gave me promo codes and credits for my trouble, great customer service, but its quite frustrating to put in a disc, get comfy and not getting a movie to watch.

maybe we can all get together and set up our own bd rental plan

lol

neflixis our nemesis
post #3214 of 4014 Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wonder how Netflix does their business. Its a shame that if only 1 disc is available of a certain movie on a certain day that Blockbuster will list it as available even though that disc could be thousands of miles away.
post #3215 of 4014 Old 04-13-2012, 05:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 578
Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

That was the most frustrating thing for me with BB. It's virtually impossible to manage your queue when you have no idea what's actually available. Especially since they don't ever cross ship titles from distant dist centers.

Last week I posted a picture of the unprompted notice I got from NF explaining that they had shipped me a different disc since the one I had wanted was not available in my local DC, but that they were also shipping that one but it would be late since it was coming from further away. It was kind of shocking after being used to the way BB does things. And this morning they sent me an email checking on my delivery times. They definitely know how to work the warm and fuzzies and I have to say it's working on me as it feels like a totally different type of experience

Attachment 243357

ron

I get those emails at least once a week from Netflix asking when a title arrived.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #3216 of 4014 Old 04-13-2012, 05:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

renting bd titles is really becoming a chore. bb is useless, literally useless. as a dish movie package sub i have free bb and we don't use it because........

it is useless.

nf plays games with their br titles, charges more for them, and limits your selection.

redbox has been the best of the 3, but the quality control at their kiosks suck.

i've rented 3 bd from them that wouldn't play. they gave me promo codes and credits for my trouble, great customer service, but its quite frustrating to put in a disc, get comfy and not getting a movie to watch.

maybe we can all get together and set up our own bd rental plan

lol

Netflix charges the same price as Blockbuster charges. The prices for both services 1 out, 2 out, and 3 out plans are identical. And I see no problem in Netflix charging more for BD rentals since BD titles do cost more. But ultimately for a person that doesn't watch BDs, Netflix costs less than Blockbuster. For a person that does watch BDs, Netflix costs the same as Blockbuster. Of course Blockbuster only has up to three out at a time plans while Netflix goes up to eight.

But in the end, Netflix is giving users more options to fit their viewing habits while Blockbuster options are very limited.

LED DLP

post #3217 of 4014 Old 04-13-2012, 06:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 522
With service such as it is from BB currently, I don't know how they can even stay in business .. the Evolution of BB ..

1) Largest Video Rental Chain in the World .. .. fails to see the future, NF / RedBox / PPV / etc move in ..

2) Decides it wants to be NF

3) Decides it wants to be Redbox

4) Goes broke / bankrupt

5) Sold out of Bankruptcy / Reorganizes / tries again ..

and, at this point, fails on all counts ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #3218 of 4014 Old 04-13-2012, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 47
still think we should set up our own bd rental gig. tired of nf, bb, rbox.

didn't know nf charges the same as bb for bds. since i theoretically should be able to rent bds from bb free as part of movie package, hadn't checked prices in a while.

neflixis our nemesis
post #3219 of 4014 Old 04-15-2012, 05:15 AM

Liked: 10
For those that got the free month offer through email if they reactivate, be wary, Blockbuster has charged me for my 'free month'. I'm going to be contacting their customer support today. This company is so incompetent.

Edit: Contacted support and got a refund.
post #3220 of 4014 Old 04-15-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post

For those that got the free month offer through email if they reactivate, be wary, Blockbuster has charged me for my 'free month'. I'm going to be contacting their customer support today. This company is so incompetent.

Edit: Contacted support and got a refund.

Thats strange. I have a couple accounts with them and each account gave me 1 free month. It was some special offer they were giving out. I never got charged with either account. Did you do any changes to your account during the free trial? I know for a fact where if you try to change your program that they will start charging you even if its during a free trial.
post #3221 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

Netflix charges the same price as Blockbuster charges. The prices for both services 1 out, 2 out, and 3 out plans are identical.

Not true for some of us, my 3 out Blu-ray plan is $16.99 a month. I do not have the in store exchange.
post #3222 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

Not true for some of us, my 3 out Blu-ray plan is $16.99 a month. I do not have the in store exchange.

When I checked the BB website I looked at the prices they listed for their plans. That was what I based my statement on. I didn't have a selection to choose from that had other options. Just a list showing the three plans and the cost.

Besides you need the in store plan to have any chance of the Blockbuster plans coming anywhere close to the amount of titles that you can get from the equivalent Netflix plans each month. And even then it's still no contest. I was always able to receive more titles in a month from Netflix than Blockbuster.

LED DLP

post #3223 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 07:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I've been a BB member for about 2 years. Most of the time I have had a good experience. I still, however do not understand why they have movies listed in their catalog but when you select the movie and load it to your queue it says "Unavailable". I selected the movie "Enemy at the Gates" about 3 months ago and it said "unavailable". Somehow the movie became available and they shipped it to me, however when the disc arrived it was completely cracked in half. I have sent it back and requested a replacement disc. That has been in "Very Long Wait" for 2 months! You would think that if they sent a bad disc they would try and send a replacement right away. I have emailed them, but I keep getting the same old run around, not enough discs, blah, blah. I also have a movie in my queue "My Week with Marilyn" that says "Short Wait" this movie has been out for 1 month and I still haven't received it yet. The stores do not have this movie on Blu-ray, so I'm wondering when my queue is going to suddenly say "unavailavle". The only reason I switched from Netflix to BB was that they had a better Blu-ray selection. As for service Netflix was much better and the discs came faster by mail.
post #3224 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post

...why they have movies listed in their catalog but when you select the movie and load it to your queue it says "Unavailable".

This has been a great frustration of mine--if you figure out why they do this by all means let us know. I suspect it is simply "your distribution center is and they don't stock this in BR" (which is not an excuse!) but I dunno.
Quote:

I also have a movie in my queue "My Week with Marilyn" that says "Short Wait" this movie has been out for 1 month and I still haven't received it yet.

I got this one right away from them. Sometimes I think that when I am slow-on-the-draw at returning movies, they are nicer to me and send-out new ones more promptly than if I've been sending movies back quickly i.e. watching them immediately upon receipt then returning right away. I can't imagine the employees keeping track of this but maybe their computers do ("this guy's on our A-list; send him the brand-new release he wants" vs. "this guy's been going thru a lot of movies recently, let's slow him down a bit").
post #3225 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laserfan View Post

This has been a great frustration of mine--if you figure out why they do this by all means let us know. I suspect it is simply "your distribution center is and they don't stock this in BR" (which is not an excuse!) but I dunno.

I got this one right away from them. Sometimes I think that when I am slow-on-the-draw at returning movies, they are nicer to me and send-out new ones more promptly than if I've been sending movies back quickly i.e. watching them immediately upon receipt then returning right away. I can't imagine the employees keeping track of this but maybe their computers do ("this guy's on our A-list; send him the brand-new release he wants" vs. "this guy's been going thru a lot of movies recently, let's slow him down a bit").

That's funny, I watch my movies right away and send them back as quick as possible to get more movies. I've also vented my frustration numerous times thru email, so I'm probably on their Sh@! list. Well I guess it's good to know they actually have this title and I should get it someday.
post #3226 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay5298 View Post

I'm probably on their Sh@! list.

Not sure that's the exact title they use, but no doubt they have a field in their database for troublemakers!
post #3227 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Well we have had a great experience with our Blockbuster store for such a long time, I guess I should be thankful. We are fortunate enough to still have one of their stores here and they always treat us right. They usually have the newest Blu-Rays and the staff knows me by name and holds them for us if we call ahead. They also have a great selection of pre-viewed Blu-Rays which can be had for as low as 5 for $20; a deal that I have been unable to beat anywhere. I hope they can stick it out, I've tried some of the options and I would hate to be stuck with nothing but an online rental service.
post #3228 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 05:58 PM
R11
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaDude View Post

Well we have had a great experience with our Blockbuster store for such a long time, I guess I should be thankful. We are fortunate enough to still have one of their stores here and they always treat us right. They usually have the newest Blu-Rays and the staff knows me by name and holds them for us if we call ahead. They also have a great selection of pre-viewed Blu-Rays which can be had for as low as 5 for $20; a deal that I have been unable to beat anywhere. I hope they can stick it out, I've tried some of the options and I would hate to be stuck with nothing but an online rental service.

Oh sure, just rub it in man! I definitely miss having a store to pop into for the quick exchanges and just browsing...

ron
post #3229 of 4014 Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone read this today? Blockbuster is making a guarantee that you will be able to rent Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. Right now its listed as available, but they have not sent it out to me. Its #1 in my queue and I have had an open slot since Sunday afternoon.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...-rentals-26984
post #3230 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 04:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Grrrr! They skipped over Ghost Protocol and sent me a movie this morning that I had deleted from my queue 3 days ago. I like how they have that guarantee about Ghost Protocol and then they skip over it to send me a movie thats not even in my queue.
post #3231 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 05:13 AM

The guarantee promo I see on the front page of Blockbuster.com says it's for in-store. Nowhere do I see it applies for their mail service too.
post #3232 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 05:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The guarantee promo I see on the front page of Blockbuster.com says it's for in-store. Nowhere do I see it applies for their mail service too.

But from the link:

“The guaranteed availability also benefits customers across the full slate of Blockbuster services,” said Michael Kelly, president of Blockbuster. “Copies of the film [also] will be available to members of Blockbuster’s Total Access by-mail program as well as Dish’s Blockbuster@Home customers.”

Which is right then, the website or the co. President!?

EDIT: I just added it to #1 on my mailorder queue, and I have two spots awaiting BB shipments. So I'll know shortly who's lying & who's not?
post #3233 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

Has anyone read this today? Blockbuster is making a guarantee that you will be able to rent Mission Impossible Ghost Protocol. Right now its listed as available, but they have not sent it out to me. Its #1 in my queue and I have had an open slot since Sunday afternoon.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blo...-rentals-26984

They shipped it to me yesterday.
post #3234 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

But from the link:

“The guaranteed availability also benefits customers across the full slate of Blockbuster services,” said Michael Kelly, president of Blockbuster. “Copies of the film [also] will be available to members of Blockbuster’s Total Access by-mail program as well as Dish’s Blockbuster@Home customers.”

Which is right then, the website or the co. President!?

EDIT: I just added it to #1 on my mailorder queue, and I have two spots awaiting BB shipments. So I'll know shortly who's lying & who's not?

I saw that too, but when they say benefit, does that mean that Total Access people benefit by being able to do the disc exchange in the store? Not by receiving it in the mail?

LED DLP

post #3235 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That is extremely misleading then because the article I read mentioned across all platforms including Total Access members. Looks like there was a slip up. These words came directly from the president Michael Kelly. Looks like Laserfan added the quote right below your post. We are getting conflicting reports about this so called guarantee. So, if Michael Kelly made a guarantee across all platforms and we don't get the disc this week with open slots then what exactly would be done for us to begin with? They mentioned a free coupon in-store. How nice of them that they do this when 90%+ of the population lives 30 miles or more to a BB store.
post #3236 of 4014 Old 04-17-2012, 11:22 PM
Advanced Member

I've been a customer for several years after switching from NF for never ending "long waits", throttling, and price increases.

BB had been way better until Dish bought them and then integrated their services with Dish. Now the BB service is really starting to suck. Most of my 30+ movies are long wait or short wait and I've only been getting movies at the bottom of my queue. The last 3 BDs have arrived scratched to hell and the latest, cracked to oblivion - so almost 1 month with no playable BDs.

I agree, movies by mail seemed to be getting harder and harder to get good service at a good price. I may try going back to NF, but likely they haven't gotten any better than when I left.
post #3237 of 4014 Old 04-18-2012, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfly85 View Post

I've been a customer for several years after switching from NF for never ending "long waits", throttling, and price increases.

BB had been way better until Dish bought them and then integrated their services with Dish. Now the BB service is really starting to suck. Most of my 30+ movies are long wait or short wait and I've only been getting movies at the bottom of my queue. The last 3 BDs have arrived scratched to hell and the latest, cracked to oblivion - so almost 1 month with no playable BDs.

I agree, movies by mail seemed to be getting harder and harder to get good service at a good price. I may try going back to NF, but likely they haven't gotten any better than when I left.

Not only the waits, but the unavailability on a lot of titles. Frozen Planet is not available. Netflix does not have it either, at least not on Blu-ray. This is a shame considering a lot of nature content can really awesome on Blu-ray.
post #3238 of 4014 Old 04-18-2012, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R11 View Post

Oh sure, just rub it in man! I definitely miss having a store to pop into for the quick exchanges and just browsing...

ron

HAHAHA -- sorry Ron, I didn't mean it that way. I talked to the manager yesterday and she said they only have 900 stores still open, so I really hope they can keep it there but it seems that all discs are going the way of the dinosaur lately so I'm not counting on it. When I walked out of Blockbuster with Ghost Protocol on Blu-Ray yesterday I felt kinda guilty after reading this thread...
post #3239 of 4014 Old 04-18-2012, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

From yesterday at 7:46am:
Quote:

I just added it to #1 on my mailorder queue, and I have two spots awaiting BB shipments. So I'll know shortly who's lying & who's not?

Neither slot was filled by GP, despite that it was #1 in my Queue.

So BB failed my little test. Not that this surprises me.
post #3240 of 4014 Old 04-18-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 63
UGH!!!! 156 BD titles on my queue and only 3 are showing as available. 20% showing "Short wait" for more than 3-weeks, 30% showing "Long Wait" for more than a month and the rest showing "Unavailable".

/me thinks its time for a change.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page