post #3991 of 4014 Old 11-14-2013, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I to only want new releases but I'm lucky to get one a month playing the send disc back on Friday or Saturday.
Then I must pick catalog titles just so I get my money's worth.

mailiang is correct, we are way OT here. Why not post this in the Netflix thread because I have a question and would like to comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4014 Old 11-25-2013, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So did anyone else receive email notifying us of the end of all Blockbuster disc rental by mail?

NOW: my post on AVS Forum.
NEXT: someone else's post on AVS Forum.
post #3993 of 4014 Old 11-26-2013, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
[UPDATE]: Yesterday 12/11 I got a "We received..." email for a disc I'd sent back the middle of last month. Today I get four more (and counting) emails "Blockbuster has shipped..." and "We received..." for long-dead exchanges as well. For the heck of it I try to log-on to my account and it doesn't work, saying only "SIGN IN". It seems these are the last gasps of a service that is scheduled to officially die tomorrow, fittingly perhaps Friday the 13th...

tongue.gif

[/UPDATE]

Yes, and they've continued to send me discs, which I expect to last at least thru the end of this week:
Quote:
Important Information About Your BLOCKBUSTER By Mail Account

As a Blockbuster By Mail customer, you may be aware that Blockbuster announced that it will no longer provide its 'DVD through the mail' service. The Blockbuster DVD By Mail service will be permanently discontinued on December 13, 2013. This was not an easy decision, but it was a rational decision consistent with the viewing habits of the majority of Blockbuster customers as they transition from the disc rental to video on demand and digital distribution of video entertainment.

We believe that our Blockbuster@Home offered through DISH, and our Blockbuster On Demand product available over the internet, will provide Blockbuster customers with virtually all services they previously received through one of our Blockbuster stores or the By Mail service, plus access to over 15 movie channels, 20,000 movies and TV shows over the internet and up to 1,000 movies stored on a whole home DVR. We are also offering Blockbuster customers who sign up for Blockbuster@Home a free iPad so they can access their movies anywhere through an internet connection. The terms and conditions of this special offer to Blockbuster customers are described below.

With respect to your Blockbuster DVD account, the following is important information you need to know:

Existing customer accounts were no longer renewed (or charged) as of November 13.
All customers will continue to receive service through the remainder of their individual service month.
If you wish to look up the date when your individual service month will end, please log in to www.BLOCKBUSTER.com, go to the 'My Account' page and look for the Next Billing Date.
Your final disc(s) are due back at our facilities no later than 30-days after the end of your service month. You may choose to keep the disc(s) and be billed the appropriate purchase amount for the titles. Individual titles are priced differently. You may find the cost of each title at www.BLOCKBUSTER.com.
You can learn more at www.BLOCKBUSTER.com including full frequently asked questions list.

My account shows no new billing is pending. So at least it looks like they are holding true to those of us who've not bailed on the service.

P.S. A couple interesting things:

1. Originally (years ago now) our mailings came from Austin (local), then they changed to San Antonio, and then out of Houston, but the last couple are now from Dallas. Apparently they've been moving-and-closing distribution centers. I wonder if their mail-order handling has been from a "distribution center" or actually a large retail store perhaps?

2. The last several mailings have not been accompanied by any emails, neither "Blockbuster has shipped..." nor "We received...".

3. Finally the email above was not from blockbusteronline@blockbuster.com, but rather from DISH i.e Blockbuster@dishnetworkmail.com!

post #3994 of 4014 Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 86
I also got a bunch of repeat emails last week for transactions that happened a month ago. The first one got my hopes up because it was for Excalibur on bluray which was one of the last discs sent to me (which Netflix doesn't carry on blu and which unfortunately was unplayable). So I thought maybe they were finally getting around to sending me the replacement I requested. But then I got all the other emails about discs sent or received last month and realized it was just the ecommerce equivalent of the chicken running around with it's head cut off.

A fitting end, I thought.
post #3995 of 4014 Old 12-16-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElJimador View Post

... realized it was just the ecommerce equivalent of the chicken running around with it's head cut off.

A fitting end, I thought.
Yup I had an even more disgusting comparison in mind.

Too bad, I enjoyed my subscription for sure...
post #3996 of 4014 Old 12-16-2013, 11:10 PM

Liked: 16
Until today I had access to my BB queue, even though I cancelled my subscription 8+ months ago. Over the past month or so, BD movies that I tried to rent 8+ months ago actually started to become "Available", whereas almost all of them had been continually listed as having a medium, long or very long wait time... which is why I finally got fed up and cancelled. Not sure how BB/DISH couldn't make disc by mail profitable, when NF apparently can, but RIP BB.
post #3997 of 4014 Old 12-17-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I bet Reed Hastings is sitting in a chair right now with his index fingers/hands in tent positions saying, "Good.......................Good..."

post #3998 of 4014 Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42Plasmaman View Post

I bet Reed Hastings is sitting in a chair right now with his index fingers/hands in tent positions saying, "Good.......................Good..."

Netflix doesn't care about discs any more. Their Disc servce is quickly dying too. Although I think they still have 7 million disc rental subscribers. But each quarter it drops further and further.

EDIT: They lost another 350K disc subscribers in Q3 2013 to end with 7.014 million paid disc members.Which is also a 1.4 million drop from Q3 2012.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #3999 of 4014 Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 683
It would not surprise me if NF decided to use the Amazon model at some point by going rental a la carte streaming on new releases .. keep the catalog streaming but deliver new release content by cloud .. which was the whole idea from the beginning anyway .. Net-Flix ...

The moves NF has made seem to validate the shift away from optical discs. The bulk of its marketing is steering customers to streaming, where Netflix doesn't have to worry about making subscribers wait for content or foot the bill for round-trip mail shipments. They are even now offering a 4 stream at a time plan ..

Over the past year, Netflix has seen its global streaming accounts climb from 23.5 million to 33.3 million as its disc-based subscribers have contracted

Netflix streamed 2.6 million titles from January to September of this year, while movie disc rentals from Redbox, Netflix by mail and others added up to just over one million.

In my last shareholder communication, Hastings was very strong on his commitment to continue rolling out streaming as Worldwide as possible .. indicating that outside of the USA streaming income could grow to 80% of total revenue ..

It should come as no real surprise that NF will continue to evolve into more and more of a disk-less company .. the consumer is buying into the concept big time .. just like the music business did in what seems like the Dark Ages now ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #4000 of 4014 Old 12-19-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

It may be my imagination, but it seems like the number of "Short Wait", "Long Wait" and "Unavailable" titles in my queue is increasing. I think they're letting the discs wear out and not buying replacements.

post #4001 of 4014 Old 12-19-2013, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by scowl View Post

It may be my imagination, but it seems like the number of "Short Wait", "Long Wait" and "Unavailable" titles in my queue is increasing. I think they're letting the discs wear out and not buying replacements.
They're selling them in the stores that are closing down.
post #4002 of 4014 Old 12-20-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Netflix streamed 2.6 million titles from January to September of this year, while movie disc rentals from Redbox, Netflix by mail and others added up to just over one million.

Not sure where you got that info but Redbox rented almost 200 million disc in the 3Q alone.
post #4003 of 4014 Old 12-20-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 935 Post(s)
Liked: 816
It's probably Billion instead of Million. Netflix has around 40 million subscribers around the world.

40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
post #4004 of 4014 Old 01-13-2014, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well, they just closed down the final set of B&M BB's in our area. RIP, and thanks for the crap 99 cent titles the last day smile.gif
post #4005 of 4014 Old 01-18-2014, 11:30 PM

Probably time to close out this thread... RIP BB... mismanagement is a bitch. l8trs
post #4006 of 4014 Old 01-19-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjgkelly View Post

Probably time to close out this thread... RIP BB... mismanagement is a bitch. l8trs

Living Graphics - Dirk Tuell - www.livinggraphics.comUSSPCMT

Ian wink.gif

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #4007 of 4014 Old 01-19-2014, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 26
It's a moot point, but since this is the end, I thought I'd note my observations between the now-defunct Blockbuster by Mail service vs. Netflix.

Since restarting my Netflix account in September, I've gotten the movie at the top of my queue virtually every week, and the turn around has been very fast. In comparison, Blockbuster had been sending me a movie somewhere in my queue near the end, but there were weeks when I wouldn't get a movie.

The only disappointment with Netflix has been the studio-mandated delays. By the time one has a chance to post to the movie threads here, they're already stale - the first round was for theaters, second for those that purchased or found a different rental outlet, and then those of us who are way behind. At the end, Blockbuster was hit by some of these same delays, but at the prime of their service, it was a big advantage.

Overall, I don't miss the recent Blockbuster service, but I do miss it from about three years ago.

Scott

post #4008 of 4014 Old 03-03-2014, 07:53 PM

Last
post #4009 of 4014 Old 03-04-2014, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

post #4010 of 4014 Old 03-04-2014, 11:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I was mad when I wasn't able to go online anymore and see my Que (available or not) to pull that list and transfer it.
post #4011 of 4014 Old 06-05-2014, 07:42 PM

OK, now LAST!
post #4012 of 4014 Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hold on.. I just want to say that I supported Blockbuster as an alternative to Netflix who have made some weird decisions over the years.

Like why does Netflix have every season of the Fugitive except the last one? Blockbuster had them all. I would have had to buy the last season to find out what happened!

post #4013 of 4014 Old 06-13-2014, 06:20 PM
AVS Special Member

If you see Sleestaks, RUN!

post #4014 of 4014 Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM

I'm bound and determined to be last, so LAST again.
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page