Blockbuster BD rental discussion thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 4014 Old 01-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Member
 
dare22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i registered to blockbuster online 2 days ago and they gave me 2 weeks free (its automatic,no code).
well now i have 34 blue ray movies in my queue and only 4 are available.

after i get this 4 movies i dont really see the point of keeping my account live because all other movies are long or short wait...
how long it takes for short wait to become available?
dare22 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny AZ
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare22 View Post

i registered to blockbuster online 2 days ago and they gave me 2 weeks free (its automatic,no code).
well now i have 34 blue ray movies in my queue and only 4 are available.

after i get this 4 movies i dont really see the point of keeping my account live because all other movies are long or short wait...
how long it takes for short wait to become available?

That's anyone's guess. I had the Vieuphoria Live DVD from Smashing Pumpkins at the top of the list for a few weeks, and it always said it was a Very Long wait, even when they sent it out. However, I believe they sent it from a different distribution center, because it took longer to get here, and BB sent me an email asking for feedback on the time of delivery.
edgary is offline  
post #33 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Senior Member
 
mws192's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CT
Posts: 450
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I had Blockbuster years ago but switched to Netflix. I'm now going to give Blockbuster a second chance.

Is there a way to set my preference to blu-ray? When I search for movies, it only pulls up the DVD version. Is there a way to default to the blu-ray version if it exists? Or do I have to go through the huge non-sorted list of blu-ray movies in order to add them to my queue (or add them from the first post here)?
mws192 is offline  
post #34 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgary View Post

I don't mean to be rude, but this thread is less than one page long and the answer is here. I wouldn't say anything if the thread was pages long (I know the search function doesn't work well in this forum), but it's just one page.

Short answer, you will get Blu-Ray

ooooops... I have to change my reply.... the mail just arrived and I opened
up the Blockbuster envelope. 3:10 Yuma[Blu-ray](the one that had "DVD"
in the format column) arrived.... inside it was a regular DVD... not Blu-ray...

I logged into my account and it does say 3:10 Yuma[Blu-ray]----->DVD...

Should I report this on Blockbuster's website before I bring it to the local
store to do an exchange?(for a different title)

Thanks!
bifocalprojector is offline  
post #35 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny AZ
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I believe this was a mistake on their part, I have received movies that have [Blu-Ray] in the title but DVD in the format, and they sent the Blu-Ray version. I would report this to BB
edgary is offline  
post #36 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dare22 View Post

how long it takes for short wait to become available?

I generally ignore the availability. You can have your #1 pick showing Available but instead they ship a title lower in your queue. Or likewise have your #1 pick showing Long Wait and have it ship. My guess is that there is a delay between the database used by the website and the local processing center.
klac is offline  
post #37 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector View Post

ooooops... I have to change my reply.... the mail just arrived and I opened
up the Blockbuster envelope. 3:10 Yuma[Blu-ray](the one that had "DVD"
in the format column) arrived.... inside it was a regular DVD... not Blu-ray...

I logged into my account and it does say 3:10 Yuma[Blu-ray]----->DVD...

Should I report this on Blockbuster's website before I bring it to the local
store to do an exchange?(for a different title)

Thanks!

Yah, report that you received the wrong title. I think this gives you priority to receive the next available copy. Was it in a Blu-ray envelope?
klac is offline  
post #38 of 4014 Old 01-19-2008, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws192 View Post

I had Blockbuster years ago but switched to Netflix. I'm now going to give Blockbuster a second chance.

Is there a way to set my preference to blu-ray? When I search for movies, it only pulls up the DVD version. Is there a way to default to the blu-ray version if it exists? Or do I have to go through the huge non-sorted list of blu-ray movies in order to add them to my queue (or add them from the first post here)?

You can't set a preference and you can't search for "Blu-ray" in the title. You have to just search for the movie title, click it, then click on the All Editions tab (or you can hover over the image and click the 'see other available versions' link).

The "huge non-sorted list" has some serious limitations. It's limited to 300 titles and it doesn't include 'Coming Soon' titles. I don't find it useful.
klac is offline  
post #39 of 4014 Old 01-20-2008, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DJ Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Whats up with The Game Plan? The Blu-ray version still says NA. It looks like this won't be available for rent on Blu-ray through Blockbuster. I'm guessing the studio doesn't want it for rent because of the new feature they have on this film. I forget what it was, but doesn't The Game Plan have some new Blu-ray feature? They probably want you to buy it.
DJ Matt is offline  
post #40 of 4014 Old 01-22-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just checked my account and saw that Black Snake Moan shipped! I put it into my queue prior to the release date - June 26th, 2007 ? It's been sitting in the not yet available section for most of that time. I figured that they never received it before Paramount went red or they only got 1 and it got broken in shipping. Hopefully it's worth the wait.
klac is offline  
post #41 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 09:24 AM
Senior Member
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 272
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Signed up and got the first free month. It was great. They shipped movies quickly and as soon as I turned one in, they sent another in the mail. As soon as the free month was over and I became a paying customer, I have not received a single movie in the mail from them in the last 4 weeks. I had returned all movies they shipped to me and yet, four weeks have gone by without BB sending a single movie to me.. I'll be canceling with them this week if they do not ship something in my Queue. Seems a lot like a bait and switch to me. Lure you in with lots of shipments and then as soon as you're a paying customer, stop sending them to you.
Chris Hansen is offline  
post #42 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yngdiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

Signed up and got the first free month. It was great. They shipped movies quickly and as soon as I turned one in, they sent another in the mail. As soon as the free month was over and I became a paying customer, I have not received a single movie in the mail from them in the last 4 weeks. I had returned all movies they shipped to me and yet, four weeks have gone by without BB sending a single movie to me.. I'll be canceling with them this week if they do not ship something in my Queue. Seems a lot like a bait and switch to me. Lure you in with lots of shipments and then as soon as you're a paying customer, stop sending them to you.

I got four weeks free and they shipped me 20+ in one month. This is my first paying month, and I see no slow down in their shipments to me. Have you called BB online to ask them what is wrong with your account? I find it hard to believe they haven't shipped you something in 30 days if you have 30+ titles in your queue and a majority of them are 'available'.
yngdiego is offline  
post #43 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 11:22 AM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If I drop a Blu-ray(or DVD) in the mail, it's always received by Blockbuster
the very next business day. The PO Box listed on the envelope is within
minutes from me.

However, if I take the envelope to the Blockbuster store and exchange it
for something else, the disc will be marked on Blockbuster.com as
received/exchanged at the store. The disc will not be actually received
by Blockbuster.com for at lest 5 to 7 days.

What exactly does the store do? Do they just pile up the envelopes and
ship them out together?(which would explain the delay)

Thanks for any info!
bifocalprojector is offline  
post #44 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny AZ
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector View Post

If I drop a Blu-ray(or DVD) in the mail, it's always received by Blockbuster
the very next business day. The PO Box listed on the envelope is within
minutes from me.

However, if I take the envelope to the Blockbuster store and exchange it
for something else, the disc will be marked on Blockbuster.com as
received/exchanged at the store. The disc will not be actually received
by Blockbuster.com for at lest 5 to 7 days.

What exactly does the store do? Do they just pile up the envelopes and
ship them out together?(which would explain the delay)

Thanks for any info!

I have no facts, or insider's leads to prove it, but this is my theory.
edgary is offline  
post #45 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yngdiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgary View Post

I have no facts, or insider's leads to prove it, but this is my theory.

From observing my store, they do in fact pile them up. Whenever I go in, there's a huge stack of 50-100 envelopes that they put mine on. Given the speed at which BB says they receive it, my store appears to mail out their stash daily.
yngdiego is offline  
post #46 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector View Post

The disc will not be actually received
by Blockbuster.com for at lest 5 to 7 days.

But they ship new movies to you right away, right? It usually takes 1-2 days for the "received at store" message to clear for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post

From observing my store, they do in fact pile them up. Whenever I go in, there's a huge stack of 50-100 envelopes that they put mine on. Given the speed at which BB says they receive it, my store appears to mail out their stash daily.

I've noticed the same thing. They have a little mailer tray that they stick them in after scanning. I figure they have a USPS pick up daily.
klac is offline  
post #47 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

But they ship new movies to you right away, right? It usually takes 1-2 days for the "received at store" message to clear for me.

well... yes and no.... I'm new, still in the first month free trail..
there have been 90 movies in my queue since day one... more than half
are listed as available... sometimes a new movie is mailed to me after
a slot opens up, but more often than not, I had to wait days before I see
a movie gets shipped out... (for example, nothing has been mailed to me
since last Friday, even with one open slot in my queue)
bifocalprojector is offline  
post #48 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had an open slot in the queue for 1 day before but I can't remember it ever being longer than that. Some of those times I think that they actually shipped one but the status didn't update until the next day.

You might want to call and ask why that is and if it's typical. I wouldn't expect a good answer but there's a slight chance they might look into it.
klac is offline  
post #49 of 4014 Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

I've had an open slot in the queue for 1 day before but I can't remember it ever being longer than that. Some of those times I think that they actually shipped one but the status didn't update until the next day.

You might want to call and ask why that is and if it's typical. I wouldn't expect a good answer but there's a slight chance they might look into it.

Thanks! I did speak to someone about this... she confirmed that nothing
was shipped since Friday... She did see an open slot, but had no idea
why this occured.

I rearranged my queue so that the first 30 movies on the list are all
showing available.... hopefully, that will solve the problem....
bifocalprojector is offline  
post #50 of 4014 Old 01-24-2008, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
edgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny AZ
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It shouldn't make a difference. They (BB) make it very clear that as soon as you return a movie they will send you the next available movie, regardless of where it sits in the queue. So what did she say? Are they going to look into that? Did she say you needed to do that?
edgary is offline  
post #51 of 4014 Old 01-24-2008, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
yngdiego's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,470
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgary View Post

It shouldn't make a difference. They (BB) make it very clear that as soon as you return a movie they will send you the next available movie, regardless of where it sits in the queue. So what did she say? Are they going to look into that? Did she say you needed to do that?

The lady I spoke with at BB also told me the first 30 in my queue should be 'available' to ensure that I constantly get new movies shipped. I've been following that rule, and always get a new movie shipped as soon as I turn one into the store.
yngdiego is offline  
post #52 of 4014 Old 01-24-2008, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've updated the lists in the 1st and 2nd post.

Now available at Blockbuster.com:
Appleseed Ex Machina
Dan in Real Life
Enchanted
HD Window: The Great Southwest
Hitman: Unrated
Ice Age
No Country for Old Men
Sleuth
Steep
The Rookie
The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep

New titles at Blu-ray.com
Over America in High Definition
Over California in High Definition

** Also of note, Blade Runner is no longer available.
klac is offline  
post #53 of 4014 Old 01-24-2008, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member
 
edgary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sunny AZ
Posts: 1,415
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It still shows as available in my queue. I moved it to the top, just for kicks. We'll see what happens.
edgary is offline  
post #54 of 4014 Old 01-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
what are the chances that Blockbuster will have "The Invasion" Blu-ray?
It's showing 1/29.... and I've had it at the top of my list for a while and
I currently have 3 open spots....
bifocalprojector is offline  
post #55 of 4014 Old 01-28-2008, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector View Post

what are the chances that Blockbuster will have "The Invasion" Blu-ray?
It's showing 1/29.... and I've had it at the top of my list for a while and
I currently have 3 open spots....

For me - 100%. It's showing as shipped.
klac is offline  
post #56 of 4014 Old 01-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

For me - 100%. It's showing as shipped.

Holy cow! Right after I read your reply, I went to check
my Blockbuster queue.

It's now showing "The Invasion [Blu-ray]" as shipped!
This means I'll be watching it tomorrow night!

Come to think of it, I just realized that the top 20 to 30 BD movies
in my queue are actually available on the shevles at the local
Blockbuster stoer.... Do they have a in-store-only monthly rental
plan?

Thanks!
bifocalprojector is offline  
post #57 of 4014 Old 01-28-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New to Blockbuster.com:
I, Robot
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium
Shakira: Oral Fixation Tour

New to Blu-ray.com:
First Knight
The Golden Compass


1st and 2nd posts have been updated.
klac is offline  
post #58 of 4014 Old 01-28-2008, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
klac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Hillsboro, OR
Posts: 752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector View Post

Come to think of it, I just realized that the top 20 to 30 BD movies
in my queue are actually available on the shevles at the local
Blockbuster stoer.... Do they have a in-store-only monthly rental
plan?

I'm pretty sure they do but I haven't looked into it. Are the movies you mention actually available for rental? For me, the recent releases are almost always checked out but I get lucky every now and then. YMMV
klac is offline  
post #59 of 4014 Old 01-29-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
DJ Matt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Naperville, IL
Posts: 1,746
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifocalprojector View Post

what are the chances that Blockbuster will have "The Invasion" Blu-ray?
It's showing 1/29.... and I've had it at the top of my list for a while and
I currently have 3 open spots....

100% chance. I just received The Invasion on Blu-ray in the mail this afternoon.
DJ Matt is offline  
post #60 of 4014 Old 01-29-2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Member
 
bifocalprojector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: CONUS
Posts: 218
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

100% chance. I just received The Invasion on Blu-ray in the mail this afternoon.

same here... I just finished watching it...

I'm a sucker for any movie that has Nicole Kidman.
bifocalprojector is offline  
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off