post #721 of 4014 Old 02-27-2009, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Good for you. A BB employee told me to just drop my mail order envelopes in the return slot and they would take care of it. Ha! I did that with four movies and two of them were not scanned, with the effect that I got credit for the return a day or two late. Ever since, I have handed my returns to one of the store employees. I will say, they have been very courteous about scanning them in for me.

That particular BB employee might scan the movies in, but if you drop them off and someone else that is working gets a hold of them they probably just throw them to the side. I never tell people to put them in the drop box though because I know that other people I work with will not scan them in. I just tell them to bring them in and personally hand them to an employee and ask them to scan them in. I have had numerous people complain about this and just told them to come in the store and I will gladly take care of them. If they are a movie fan as big as me then I totally understand their frustration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 4014 Old 02-27-2009, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
New to Blockbuster.com:

Fearless Planet (Jun 3, 2008)
* Fearless Planet [Blu-ray] - Disc 1
* Fearless Planet [Blu-ray] - Disc 2
This is Spinal Tap (Jul 14, 2009)
post #723 of 4014 Old 02-27-2009, 06:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Matt View Post

That particular BB employee might scan the movies in, but if you drop them off and someone else that is working gets a hold of them they probably just throw them to the side. I never tell people to put them in the drop box though because I know that other people I work with will not scan them in. I just tell them to bring them in and personally hand them to an employee and ask them to scan them in. I have had numerous people complain about this and just told them to come in the store and I will gladly take care of them. If they are a movie fan as big as me then I totally understand their frustration.

DJ Matt -- Thanks for confirming my suspicions. It's easy enough for me to hand carry my return mail order envelopes into my neighborhood BB because it's less than a mile away.
post #724 of 4014 Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New to Blockbuster.com:

2010: The Year We Make Contact (Apr 7, 2009)
Above the Law (Apr 7, 2009)
Brokeback Mountain (Mar 10, 2009)
Collateral Damage (Apr 7, 2009)
Point of No Return (Apr 7, 2009)
Tango & Cash (Apr 7, 2009)
X-Men (Apr 21, 2009)
X2: X-Men United (Apr 21, 2009)
post #725 of 4014 Old 03-03-2009, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1126312

Blockbuster users should look at this!

Blockbuster possible nearing bankruptcy
post #726 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 06:55 AM

Here was a response that I received this morning from BB. ~

Thank you for contacting Blockbuster Customer Care.

I understand your concern and sorry to learn that you are having issues regarding the new in-store exchanges program.

Our goal with the new exchange process is to help simplify your terms and conditions. As long as you return your in-store exchange within a day or two you should be able to continue enjoying a similar if not the same number of movies each month as before. The No Due Dates benefit also allows the piece of mind that comes with being able to return the title to the store on your schedule. We hope that you will give this change a chance to continue to satisfy your entertainment needs, budget and schedule.

Additionally, many factors determine availability of our titles. Availability is based on inventory throughout all distribution centers as opposed to inventory at the center nearest to you. As DVDs are checked in and throughout the day, the status of many titles may change.

To ensure consistent, prompt shipments, we recommend keeping 15 or more "Available" titles at the top of your queue at all times.

We appreciate your understanding and loyalty.

Always here to help,

Francis
Blockbuster Customer Care

I wonder if they get enough complaints they will re-think there new policy? Anyways After about four years I think I may try out Netflix again. For those that use Netflix how has there quality control for there scratched disc been? That was one of the main reasons why I left them initially.
post #727 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I can't believe they answer everyone elses emails!
post #728 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Did anybody notice the effects of this yet? I'm wondering if maybe they're grandfathering some people with the old deal kinda like they did with the coupons and in-store exchanges.
post #729 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #730 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klac View Post

Did anybody notice the effects of this yet? I'm wondering if maybe they're grandfathering some people with the old deal kinda like they did with the coupons and in-store exchanges.

There is a new 'rented from' column in the on-line queue. So I think they will now track in store rentals on-line as well... just a guess.
post #731 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have noticed the effects today.... the in store rental now shows in the "out" column on top of que.

Also, I still have a damn dvd showing as available, but has not shipped. I currently only have 2 of them out. This realy irks me when it shows available but does not ship.
post #732 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:

I did an in-store exchange on Tuesday night. My checked in movie disappeared from "at home" and the exchange appeared as "at home". For me unfortunately the new, but not improved, policy seems to be in full effect.
post #733 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I guess it is time for me and blockbuster to break up...

"How long were you in Mexico?"
" uh...a week, no, no, a day..."
"Well, which is it a week or a day?
"uh...a weekday?"
post #734 of 4014 Old 03-04-2009, 11:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, this whole online change has been a major pain. I listened to about 15 customers complaining today and each one of them said they were just going to cancel the service. Worse yet, some people didn't even know about so I don't think every customer got an Email from Blockbuster about the changes. At least they have the movies showing on your out queue though.
post #735 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabre View Post

I have noticed the effects today.... the in store rental now shows in the "out" column on top of que.

Also, I still have a damn dvd showing as available, but has not shipped. I currently only have 2 of them out. This realy irks me when it shows available but does not ship.

Same here, and this is really ticking me off. I have some showing available and they just sit there, these are BluRays. For the past three weeks they have been picking the SD-DVD's from the bottom of my queue. I purposely did not put and SD-DVD's in my queue this week to see if any of these BluRays would finally ship but they have not.
post #736 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Let me say a word in favor of BB's new policy regarding in store exchanges. After mature reflection I have concluded that the policy change was made in an attempt to encourage us to return in store exchange discs reasonably promptly. I have always done so as a matter of course so I believe that I am benefitted more by BB keeping a record of my in store exchange discs for me than I am hurt by having an in store exchange disc count against my 3 at a time limit.

I know many of you disagree with this but I honestly believe that those of us who habitually return in store exchange discs within a day or two are helped by it. For example, I returned one of the 3 mail order discs I had on hand on Tuesday for Australia. I watched it that day, returned it yesterday, and the next disc in my queue is shipping today. In the bargain I now have a complete record on the BB Web site of every BB disc I have received, including in store exchanges.
post #737 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

New to Blockbuster.com:

Yes Man (Apr 7, 2009)
post #738 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I don't really care about a record though - I know what I've seen. And if I can't remember if I've seen it or not, it doesn't matter if I have since I don't remember it.

Plus they don't keep your full history anyway. They used to, and now they limit it to the last 150-200 or something.
post #739 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 10:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post

I don't really care about a record though - I know what I've seen. And if I can't remember if I've seen it or not, it doesn't matter if I have since I don't remember it.

Plus they don't keep your full history anyway. They used to, and now they limit it to the last 150-200 or something.

Don't misunderstand me, I know that my easy acceptance of BB's changed policy almost certainly places me in the minority of BB subscribers. Given how much stuff I have recorded on my TiVo I have to watch, I have a hard enough time keeping up with 3 movie rentals at a time as it is. This means that having in store exchanges count against that limit is pretty much a nonissue for me. I recognize that others may have different circumstances, so the impact of the new policy may be much more detrimental to them than it has been to me.
post #740 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

honestly it won't affect me that much - I'm just used to always having a movie at my slightest whim - which maybe has spoiled me. If we don't watch all three movies at once, it won't really affect us since we'll always have at least one or two to choose from.

I guess it's more of the way BB keeps trying to put positive spins on bad things that bothers me.
post #741 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

honestly it won't affect me that much - I'm just used to always having a movie at my slightest whim - which maybe has spoiled me. If we don't watch all three movies at once, it won't really affect us since we'll always have at least one or two to choose from.

I guess it's more of the way BB keeps trying to put positive spins on bad things that bothers me.

As a sales person this lesson has served me well. Often a forced positive spin is given to everything and iot can ruin credibility. As a company it is harder to build honest credibility so I understand the tactic but as an individual I will definetly remember not to underestimate the buyer.
post #742 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Let me say a word in favor of BB's new policy regarding in store exchanges. After mature reflection I have concluded that the policy change was made in an attempt to encourage us to return in store exchange discs reasonably promptly. I have always done so as a matter of course so I believe that I am benefitted more by BB keeping a record of my in store exchange discs for me than I am hurt by having an in store exchange disc count against my 3 at a time limit.

I know many of you disagree with this but I honestly believe that those of us who habitually return in store exchange discs within a day or two are helped by it. For example, I returned one of the 3 mail order discs I had on hand on Tuesday for Australia. I watched it that day, returned it yesterday, and the next disc in my queue is shipping today. In the bargain I now have a complete record on the BB Web site of every BB disc I have received, including in store exchanges.

I agree. I do believe the policy was made to get people to return the movies faster. As an employee, I can honestly say that we do rent out of movies from time to time and our store has the most online exchange people in the district or area for that matter. When people exchange movies for online mailers the store is not getting any money and this is bad for employees who count on bonuses from how much they sell and rent out to people. Another thing is that if an online exchanger keeps the movie for the full 9 or 14 days then BB is losing out on money there. They want that movie back in the store as soon as possible so it can be put back on the shelf to make more money. A lot of times the store may run out of movies and they lose out on money then. Now, people will feel more obligated to return the discs sooner. So, if that disc is returned in 2 days instead of 9 days then the odds are that same disc will go out to another renter within a day or two, thus giving BB the money for the rental price. I'm pretty sure they realize they may lose online customers over the new terms, but they might make up for it in other places like the scenario I just mentioned.

Also, people like you who return the discs within a day, two days, or a few days won't be hurt by the new changes. If anything you might lose out on a rental or two per month at the most.
post #743 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I understand the reasoning, and the fact that some bad apples have ruined it for others - I just don't like being condescended to.
post #744 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:

I agree with you on 100% on this. The fact that Blockbuster tries to spin the policy change as a positive to us just insults the intelligence of their customers and our ability to reasonably evaluate the change ourselves.

It's pretty clear to me they are trying to reduce their costs here by decreasing the amount of movies that a customer can receive in a given month. In the case of in-store rentals this also allows them to potentially rent that movie out and increase their revenue stream. I understand the business side of this.

However Blockbuster tries to spin this as "you can still see as many movies as before" and "you are still receiving a free in-store exchange". Both remarks are false and untruthful. You could view more movies under the previous policy than you can under the current one and the in-store exchange is no longer "free" as it counts toward your 3 out a time and before it didn't.

They have decreased the value of what they now offer to their customers. yet my price remains the same and is higher than Netflix. I just now need to evaluate whether they still offer the superior service given the policy change and price premium. They did take away something that gave them a clear, tangible, advantage over their competitor.
post #745 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I understand the reasoning, and the fact that some bad apples have ruined it for others - I just don't like being condescended to.

Despite understanding the reason for BB's policy concerning in store exchanges, I agree that BB's attempt to spin it as a positive benefit was sleazy and unconvincing, and woefully underestimated the intelligence of their customers. Willfully squandering one's credibility is always a bad idea.
post #746 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, the spin they used was, in my opinion, not a good way of explaining things. They made it sound like its a better benefit. In a way it is if you like no due dates for in-store rentals, but most people do not benefit from this really and they make it sound like you do in all the Emails they have sent out to people.
post #747 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 03:06 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I agree that they cut the benefit in half. I had the 3 out with unilmited exchanges. I usually returned the movies w/in a day or two, but when they were exchanged, the new DVDs would be mailed out so they would arrive when I was done with the exchanged movies. I called them to see if they would grandfather my account, but they would not. So, I am contemplating whether or not to keep the account. I'm only paying the $20 / month. So, it may the cheapest option to have still.
post #748 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 06:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingus View Post

I agree that they cut the benefit in half. I had the 3 out with unilmited exchanges. I usually returned the movies w/in a day or two, but when they were exchanged, the new DVDs would be mailed out so they would arrive when I was done with the exchanged movies. I called them to see if they would grandfather my account, but they would not. So, I am contemplating whether or not to keep the account. I'm only paying the $20 / month. So, it may the cheapest option to have still.

Yeah, those of you with unlimited in store exchange privileges got hurt worse than those of us who are only entitled to 3 or 5 exchanges a month. But, then, we never got grandfathered for anything, so I guess it's all a matter of one's point of view.
post #749 of 4014 Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Blockbuster Online is still better than Netflix though because of the exchanges. Its not as good as what it was, but it is still better.
post #750 of 4014 Old 03-06-2009, 04:34 PM

I am an unlimited exchange customer and only found out about this today through a podcast about the change. With a number of young fickle kids the exchange program worked well for us, but now the almost $40 a month I'm spending is not worth it. Now that my kids have discovered Hulu, Netflix is looking like a much better option.

If others have had the same poor customer service that I have had combined with the number along with me that are dropping total access, I would guess Blockbuster just hastened is way to non-existence. We usually rented additional movies when we did exchanges but now, I'm sure we will make fewer trips altogether which means less revenue for them all around. I just wish I had not bothered to renew my rewards program. I wonder if the timing of the rewards program promotion had anything to do with this?

Brad
Reply Blu-ray Software

Tags
Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page