HD-XA1 vs HD-XA2: Sound formats over 6 channel - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 04-19-2008, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have the chance of an HD-XA2 to replace my HD-XA1.

I will be running both units with the 6 Channel outputs at the rear.

Is DTS-HD full bit rate available on either of these units over the 6 Channel output. All the current talk is about HDMI sound, but I can't seem to find any info about what is available over the analogue 6 channel outputs...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-19-2008, 10:31 PM

Liked: 11
The only thing that the analogue outputs can put out is from Dolby mono to Dolby True HD (or PCM).
The analogue can't output DTS-HD codecs. So yes, you can get lossless sound from them...if it's from Dolby.

However you can output the DTS-HD codecs through the HDMI on the XA2 and the XA2 does 1080p/24hz perfectly so go for it.

HD DVD player: HD-XA2.
Blu-ray player: PS3.
My entire collection: http://foxarwing42.dvdaf.com/owned
post #3 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxarwing42 View Post

The only thing that the analogue outputs can put out is from Dolby mono to Dolby True HD (or PCM).
The analogue can't output DTS-HD codecs. So yes, you can get lossless sound from them...if it's from Dolby.

However you can output the DTS-HD codecs through the HDMI on the XA2 and the XA2 does 1080p/24hz perfectly so go for it.

I think you are incorrect about DTS-HD through analog - links:

http://www.dtsonline.com/dts-hd/dtsh...g-receiver.php
http://www.dtsonline.com/media/DTS-HD_WhitePaper.pdf

In this scenario, the high definition player will output DTS-HD Audio through the analog outputs of the player to your AV Receiver. The DTS-HD Master Audio or DTS-HD High Resolution will be decoded by the player and sent out as analog audio signals to the AV Receiver. You would Simply connect 6, 7, or 8 RCA cables from the analog outputs of the player to the analog inputs on your AV Receiver. The number of analog cables will be determined by the number of analog output/inputs on the player and receiver. The analog signals will go directly to the receiver's amplifier section. In this way you can enjoy DTS-HD Master Audio that is bit-for-bit identical to the studio master.
post #4 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thats the thing, HD players don't have DTS-HD decoders. Even though some have the DTS-HD symbol, if you read the manuals, it will say something like "available with future firmware upgrade, if available." The only way to get anything better than the DTS "core" is to bitstream over HDMI.

myody: I've never seen that white paper link. That is incredible, so much info, thanks for the link.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscolman View Post

Hi,

I have the chance of an HD-XA2 to replace my HD-XA1.

I will be running both units with the 6 Channel outputs at the rear.

Is DTS-HD full bit rate available on either of these units over the 6 Channel output. All the current talk is about HDMI sound, but I can't seem to find any info about what is available over the analogue 6 channel outputs...

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Lee

With the XA1 and XA2 via Analog 6-Channel will ONLY output DTS Core from DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA. The XA2 gives you full HDMI bitstreaming for all audio codecs including TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA for receiver decoding. As stated above XA2 also supports 1080p and 1080p24.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #6 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 12:37 PM

I currently have a XA1 connected to my Yamaha RX-V2200 (no hdmi) via the optical input (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv2200.pdf). Will I always get the best sound, HD DVD and DVD, connecting the XA1 to the receiver using the 6 channel analog input?
post #7 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniemac View Post

I currently have a XA1 connected to my Yamaha RX-V2200 (no hdmi) via the optical input (http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/prod...fo/rxv2200.pdf). Will I always get the best sound, HD DVD and DVD, connecting the XA1 to the receiver using the 6 channel analog input?

Simple answer, YES!

Well at least I hear better audio via Analog-In (6/8-channel) vs Optical. But most receivers offer more audio configuration with Optical/Coax then Analog-In since most are discrete.

My receiver's Analog 8-channel is discrete and can only adjust Speaker Levels on the receiver and on the my A1/XA2 I only add speaking distances to the player's 5.1 settings, all dB is Zero with cross-over at 80Hz.

You can still have both (Optical & Analog) connected and do your A/B comparison.

...Angelo

2x HD-XA2 firmware 3.0
1x HD-A1 firmware 3.0
HD DVD movies: 141
post #8 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
No matter what I throw the receiver from the XA2, or from any other source, the analog outs from the XA2 always sounds cleaner and better. Especialy the highs like ride cymbals or high hats.

I'm a drummer and listening to ZEP and Rush from the XA2 is heaven for me.

Even Star Trek the Motion picture sounded better DD5.1 from the analogs.
post #9 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize I could connect both optical and analog. I'll give it a go and see what I like better. Thanks again.
post #10 of 10 Old 04-20-2008, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn2 View Post

No matter what I throw the receiver from the XA2, or from any other source, the analog outs from the XA2 always sounds cleaner and better. Especialy the highs like ride cymbals or high hats.

I'm a drummer and listening to ZEP and Rush from the XA2 is heaven for me.

Even Star Trek the Motion picture sounded better DD5.1 from the analogs.

Do you prefer analog over HDMI or just Optical/Coax?

I use HDMI, but I think I should try analog someday. With analog, does the signal get processed by the receiver also or just the player?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page