Onkyo DV-HD805 Defect Rates Poll - Page 2 - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When did you purchase your Onkyo DV-HD805 player and how is it working?
Purchased prior to 7/3/08. Player working fine. 0 0%
Purchased prior to 7/3/08. Player is defective. 0 0%
Purchased in First Refub Batch around 7/3/08. Player working fine. 0 0%
Purchased in First Refurb Batch around 7/3/08. Player is defective. 0 0%
Purchased in Second Refurb Batch around 7/7/08. Player working fine. 0 0%
Purchased in Second Refrub Batch around 7/7/08. Player is defective. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 54 Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitakura View Post

For the types of problems that have been reported (I think all the defective players have pretty much been DOA or stuck on welcome), I agree these should have been caught even with a very non-stringent refurb inspection process.

I went ahead and split into 3 groups so we'd have a bit more granularity, but I agree there shouldn't have a difference between the 1st and 2nd batch. There was some speculation earlier that the 1st batch for $129 were true refurbs and the 2nd batch were new being sold as refurbs (sold for the most part at $199).

I placed one of the first (if not the first) order in the 2nd batch (mine is the only I'm aware of in the 2nd batch purchased for $129). Another user believes he's one of the last orders in the 2nd batch. So we'll calc the # of orders. If we ignore all other items bought during this period (i.e. assume all orders were for our players) and even add a multiplication factor (1.5x? 2x? to account for the fact that some people bought more than one), I'm speculating that we'll find the # of players purchased was low 100's at most. This was over a roughly 8hr period.

For the first batch, the # of players was likely even less, since the sale only lasted like 1.5hrs? (Not sure, but we can reference back to the sales thread). Though at the lower price, probably more people purchased multiples.

I got mine the first batch at was new with a refurb sticker slapped on it.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 PM

Posted this on another forum...reposting it here in hopes it helps you guys.

Please add to this thread whether this solved the problem for you...

======

Let me start by explaining my setup
Onkyo HD805 DVD player (of course)
Sony 1080p 120 (so can do 24 fps) tv

I began screwing with HD player settings because Band of Brothers (standard def) had audio that was getting 'out of sync', but only during the interviews with the 'real' people before each episode started.

I moved the 'Resolution Setting' from 1080p/24 to 1080p trying to solve it.

After that, is when my problem began when viewing HD movies (Untouchables, for instance, always shut down the player at about the 3:25 mark. A few other films crashed, also...while some played fine.)

Based on a tip here (someone else posted it was a 1080p mode problem), changed the setting to 1080i, and Untouchables played through fine.

Finding that odd, I went back and looked at the Onkyo menu settings again, and 'greyed out' was the next setting, called 'Frame Rate', still on 1080p/24, but now it wouldn't let me change IT to another setting.

Kicked the Onkyo 'Resolution Setting' back to 1080p/24, which HAS to be chosen in order for the 'Frame Rate' to NOT be greyed out. I then changed it to 'Auto'.

With 'Frame Rate' on Auto, you can then change your 'Resolution Setting' to whatever you need/want it to be.

Now, everything plays right on through, regardless of 'Resolution Setting' (1080i, 1080p, 1080p/24, etc) that I choose.

Worked me for (if I explained it well enough)...hopefully will work for you guys. I'll post an update here if I run into the glitch again while watching a HD movie, but so far, all seems fine, and the player has been on for at least six hours straight now, so it's NOT a heat issue (which I ruled out in an earlier post).
post #33 of 54 Old 07-23-2008, 06:19 PM

I know this is like asking if its plugged in, but has anyone update the firmware that has been having problems?

Paul Newman RIP I wish I was that cool.
post #34 of 54 Old 07-24-2008, 05:40 AM

Apparently, the 'Frame Rate' option only appears on the menu after updating to 2.8, which is why there is no mention of it in the Toshiba instruction manual.

If you're having the 'shutdown bug' glitch, you need to update firmware, then try the directions in my previous post.

Please post back here and let us know how it goes.
post #35 of 54 Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I never had a single issue... Knock on wood of course.

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #36 of 54 Old 07-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I never had a single issue... Knock on wood of course.

That's great!

Did you hook it up to a 1080p display?
post #37 of 54 Old 08-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Well, as a followup to my first post re: my problem player (intermittent video blackout on SD discs), I'd been on the phone with Onkyo tech several times, they finally said it was a bad machine. I bought it on the 7th of July.

The customer service rep today finally agreed to send an RMA tag fedex. She said that they weren't repairing them anymore and that there were no more left to swap out for. I was bummed, even though my wife is happy. I hate to mail the thing back, knowing that it will be the last chance to get one, probably.

Oh well.
post #38 of 54 Old 08-11-2008, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskbound View Post

Well, as a followup to my first post re: my problem player (intermittent video blackout on SD discs), I'd been on the phone with Onkyo tech several times, they finally said it was a bad machine. I bought it on the 7th of July.

The customer service rep today finally agreed to send an RMA tag fedex. She said that they weren't repairing them anymore and that there were no more left to swap out for. I was bummed, even though my wife is happy. I hate to mail the thing back, knowing that it will be the last chance to get one, probably.

Oh well.

Did you try a firmware update? Not much to lose now, so might as well try if you haven't.
post #39 of 54 Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM

The 805 is now showing in stock again at shoponkyo.com

This time, it's showing for $299
post #40 of 54 Old 08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rise2it View Post

yeah, i saw it and posted it last night on other thread.
look on other hd805 thread; a poster says price may be reduced by 10% tomorrow. hopefully price will keep descending.
post #41 of 54 Old 08-22-2008, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:

If I remember correctly, the second sale on July 7th had the list price at $299 and if you were a Club Onkyo member, the price dropped to $199 with free shipping, less the 10% holiday special on re-furbs and of course any points you had would lower it further. I purchased mine for 144 bucks out the door.

Larry
post #42 of 54 Old 08-28-2008, 07:04 PM

Hi All,

I hope someone else experienced this and has solved it, and that I do not have a lemon!

"> > Last week, I connected the 805 HD DVD player in our bedroom and it worked
fine, but I did not play a whole HD DVD, and didn't realize the following:

. I
> > tried out X-Files Season 9 SD, and it worked well.
> >
> > However, my receiver no longer shows any red lights for DD or
any
> > other settings, ever since I connected the HD DVD player to it. The one in the bedroom cannot decode True HD or
any
> > of those (older Onkyo receiver), but it did previously show some
> > read lights when we had the Toshiba A2 connected.
> >
> > Having solved my issue of not seeing True HD, and other audio
> > decoding on my livingroom received (605, which can decode the
other
> > audio codecs and displays them), by eliminating a handshake
problem
> > between the A35 and the receiver, by creating a delay between
the
> > power on of the receiver and the A 35 and Panasonic BD30K, I
> thought
> > I'd compare audio settings of the 805 settings with those of the
> A35
> > in the livingroom, to get my DD lights to reappear.
> >
> > Well, now I can't hear any dialogue on the Onkyo 805 HD player
at
> > all. SD's work fine. HD DVD's other sound elements, such as
music,
> > and other sounds, work just fine. The people? Their mouths move,
> but
> > either they are extremely muffled, or I can't hear them at all.
> >
> > Any suggestion on what setting is causing this? It's not the
> speaker
> > wires, center channel volume, as everything works for my X-Files
SD
> > 's. I've read a similar issue in other forums, with hi-def
movies,
> > but never necessarily specifically with this player.
> >
> > SOS to you 805 owners. I am a newbie with this particular player
> and
> > appreciate your help"

430+ Blus & Steels/430+HD DVD/900 SD
post #43 of 54 Old 08-28-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it was up again last night, then gone, and back up today for a while. same price.
right now, it's gone.
post #44 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just recently opened up a DV-HD805 I purchased from Onkyo in July and it won't load any DVD. It does load and play HD DVD. I called Onkyo a couple of times Friday trying to talk to somebody with no luck and then sent an email and got back a form letter in response which didn't respond to the question. I doubt very seriously that Onkyo is repairing this player now and my choice is likely going to be refund or live without DVD but thought I mention this here to see if anybody knows the current warranty response from Onkyo.

Chris
post #45 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard View Post

I just recently opened up a DV-HD805 I purchased from Onkyo in July and it won't load any DVD. It does load and play HD DVD. I called Onkyo a couple of times Friday trying to talk to somebody with no luck and then sent an email and got back a form letter in response which didn't respond to the question. I doubt very seriously that Onkyo is repairing this player now and my choice is likely going to be refund or live without DVD but thought I mention this here to see if anybody knows the current warranty response from Onkyo.

Chris

I bought my 805 last August from shoponkyo and in November it started acting up. I had to send it back to Onkyo in NJ and they sent me a new unit; didn't bother trying to fix mine.
post #46 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZiggyZ View Post

I bought my 805 last August from shoponkyo and in November it started acting up. I had to send it back to Onkyo in NJ and they sent me a new unit; didn't bother trying to fix mine.

I finally got to talk to somebody and there is an Onkyo authorized repair center real close to me so they had me take it there. I really don't expect he will repair it, just have me come pick it back up and ship it to NJ.

Chris
post #47 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I finally got to talk to somebody and there is an Onkyo authorized repair center real close to me so they had me take it there. I really don't expect he will repair it, just have me come pick it back up and ship it to NJ.

Chris

Another option would be to swap out the disc drive, like is illustrated in the repairing XA2 thread. I don't know if it's a drive related issue, but it sounds like it. Anyway, I'm sure economically getting the unit fixed for free or your money refunded would be better (unless the refund amount would be less than what you think you could flip the fixed unit for on ebay).
post #48 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceames View Post

Another option would be to swap out the disc drive, like is illustrated in the repairing XA2 thread. I don't know if it's a drive related issue, but it sounds like it. Anyway, I'm sure economically getting the unit fixed for free or your money refunded would be better (unless the refund amount would be less than what you think you could flip the fixed unit for on ebay).

I sold it unopened but then had to refund the sale since it didn't work. It will likely end up being a back up for me which was my original intent when I purchased it. The player probably isn't worth enough to sell it now, provided it can be repaired under warranty. I will just use it for HD DVD if it can't be fixed, I have plenty of DVD players.

Chris
post #49 of 54 Old 03-02-2009, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I sold it unopened but then had to refund the sale since it didn't work. It will likely end up being a back up for me which was my original intent when I purchased it. The player probably isn't worth enough to sell it now, provided it can be repaired under warranty. I will just use it for HD DVD if it can't be fixed, I have plenty of DVD players.

Chris

A sellers worse nightmare. Oh well, you did the right thing to refund, good job on that. Karma will be good to you.
post #50 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will have to read about the disc drive swap and see if that is something I could do myself. I often try to fix broken equipment and the result usually ends up in the dumpster rather than my equipment rack, but I keep on trying anyway.

Chris
post #51 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I will have to read about the disc drive swap and see if that is something I could do myself. I often try to fix broken equipment and the result usually ends up in the dumpster rather than my equipment rack, but I keep on trying anyway.

Chris

All you need is a phillips screwdriver and a little bit of light. For practice, I took out the drive for the A20 (since it already has a defective drive, it won't read HD DVD, but will read DVD, lol) and put in back in. It wasn't difficult at all (just have to be careful when pushing/wiggling the wide ribbon cable back in).
post #52 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All you need is a phillips screwdriver and a little bit of light. For practice, I took out the drive for the A20 (since it already has a defective drive, it won't read HD DVD, but will read DVD, lol) and put in back in. It wasn't difficult at all (just have to be careful when pushing/wiggling the wide ribbon cable back in).

Thanks, that is good to know. Can I assume the HD-A20 and DV-HD805 use the same drive? Of course if you have one that won't read HD DVD and I have one that won't read DVD, I am not sure we have the issue pinpointed to drive problem but I might try to swap out drives with an HD-A20 that reads DVD.

Chris
post #53 of 54 Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks, that is good to know. Can I assume the HD-A20 and DV-HD805 use the same drive? Of course if you have one that won't read HD DVD and I have one that won't read DVD, I am not sure we have the issue pinpointed to drive problem but I might try to swap out drives with an HD-A20 that reads DVD.

Chris

Yes, they use the same drive. I think all Toshiba related HD DVD players use the same drive except the G1 models. I'm pretty sure the add-on uses the same drive too, but it doesn't have an screws that I can open it up and see.
post #54 of 54 Old 03-04-2009, 03:28 PM

I bought one of the initial batches. The first one was DOA (rattled inside even). The second one still works flawlessly.

It is an awesome DVD player! Still, if OPPO comes up with an amazing BluRay player, I may consolidate to one player.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page