Onkyo DV-HD805 Defect Rates Poll - AVS Forum
View Poll Results: When did you purchase your Onkyo DV-HD805 player and how is it working?
Purchased prior to 7/3/08. Player working fine. 0 0%
Purchased prior to 7/3/08. Player is defective. 0 0%
Purchased in First Refub Batch around 7/3/08. Player working fine. 0 0%
Purchased in First Refurb Batch around 7/3/08. Player is defective. 0 0%
Purchased in Second Refurb Batch around 7/7/08. Player working fine. 0 0%
Purchased in Second Refrub Batch around 7/7/08. Player is defective. 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There's been debate over just how bad the failure rate has been on Onkyo's DV-HD805 HD DVD player.

When the players first shipped late last year, there were a few reports of DOA's.

I'm not sure how it was between then and now, but during the July 4th weekend, Onkyo cleared out a bunch of these players in two batches. One around 7/3 (let's call this "First Refurb Batch") and the other around 7/7 ("Second Refurb Batch").

This is an unscientific poll among AVS-er's who own this player to attempt to establish (again, an unscientific!) a comparative failure rate among the two sets of refurbs against everything that was shipped prior to this latest clear out.

If you own this player, please vote!

Note: There will be subjectivity about what is "working fine" and what is "defective" - if yours is in a gray area, please vote and explain in a posting about your reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for starting this poll! This should be very interesting.

I purchased in the "second refurb batch" and my player appears to be functioning fine.

I did run into some intermittent disc read errors on one particular HD-DVD title, Batman Begins, that had some light surface scratches. But it's played a number of other HD-DVD discs without a hitch.

And I have one comment on the statistical nature of this poll. People that have problems are much more likely to search out forums like this and post their experiences. That will tend to distort the results.

Also, some forum members have received more than one defective player. Will they be able to vote more than once?
post #3 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertF View Post

Thanks for startin this poll! This should be very interesting.

I purchased in the "second refurb batch" and my player appears to be functioning fine.

I did run into some intermittent disc read errors on one particular HD-DVD title, Batman Begins, that had some light surface scratches. But it's played a number of other HD-DVD discs without a hitch.

And I have one comment on the statistical nature of this poll. People that have problems are much more likely to search out forums like this and post their experiences. That will tend to distort the results.

Also, some forum members have received more than one defective player. Will they be able to vote more than once?

I tried to set things up so you could vote more than once in different categories. But I'm not sure if the poll will allow multiple votes in the same category. I guess we just have to post additional votes and tally them manually. This is my first poll, so if anyone knows a way to configure this to allow multiple votes, pls let me know.
post #4 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Purchased mine in the second round of refurbs, not a single stutter, freeze or hic-up yet (knocks on wood) playing HD-DVD's and DVD-R's.
post #5 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric102 View Post

Purchased mine in the second round of refurbs, not a single stutter, freeze or hic-up yet (knocks on wood) playing HD-DVD's and DVD-R's.

Same here.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #6 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 10:28 AM

I bought mine in the first refurb batch, and so far it is (mostly) fine, but I have only played 1 or 2 HD DVDs and 2 or 3 SDs at this point. The only problem I have had is that the audio got messed up once after stopping or pausing or rewinding (I forget which). It cleared up fine as soon as I paused (or stopped) and then hit play again.

By the way, is there a mechanism for changing one's vote? If you know your player is defective, then you can vote that way and you won't need/want to change. But what if your player seems fine early on, and you vote, and then later it develops a problem. Can you change your vote?

Gregg

P.S. This is a very minor and cosmetic issue, but how bright it the light on the power button? I see a very faint red light when the unit is off. I have to look really close, or the room has to be very dark, to even see it. I think it changes to blue when powered on, though I don't think it gets much brighter. Is this normal?
post #7 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbgregg View Post

I bought mine in the first refurb batch, and so far it is (mostly) fine, but I have only played 1 or 2 HD DVDs and 2 or 3 SDs at this point. The only problem I have had is that the audio got messed up once after stopping or pausing or rewinding (I forget which). It cleared up fine as soon as I paused (or stopped) and then hit play again.

By the way, is there a mechanism for changing one's vote? If you know your player is defective, then you can vote that way and you won't need/want to change. But what if your player seems fine early on, and you vote, and then later it develops a problem. Can you change your vote?

Gregg

P.S. This is a very minor and cosmetic issue, but how bright it the light on the power button? I see a very faint red light when the unit is off. I have to look really close, or the room has to be very dark, to even see it. I think it changes to blue when powered on, though I don't think it gets much brighter. Is this normal?

Gregg,

I really don't know how these polls work and whether you can change your vote. I tend to think not, since when I've voted in the past, it doesn't give me an option again because it tells me I've already voted.

By the way, even though I started this poll, I haven't voted myself because I do want to put a few more hours on the player before voting. If I voted today, it would be 2nd batch, working fine though.

I think we should just have those to want to change their vote make a posting and I can manually change categories and post occasional subtotals for voting.

By the way, the LED used for power indicator is faint on mine too. But I think the blue is a bit brighter than the red in my case.
post #8 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

same here but i have not tried to play an entire hd dvd yet. i did load (and test play for 10 mins) an hd dvd the first day i had player; it went fine.
i have played 2 dvds so far and they played fine.

also 'knocking on wood'!
post #9 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I received a defective unit from the second refurb batch after 7/7/08. I did, however, receive a replacemnent unit from Onkyo that works fine. Should this cancel out my defective vote on the original unit?
post #10 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisch View Post

I received a defective unit from the second refurb batch after 7/7/08. I did, however, receive a replacemnent unit from Onkyo that works fine. Should this cancel out my defective vote on the original unit?

I would vote in both categories: 2nd batch defective and 2nd batch OK, since you experienced both. I'm just trying to get an idea of defect rate, not so much Onkyo CS's addressing of the situation through replacements.
post #11 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:

All is good with mine as well.
post #12 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yes, vote in both categories, if the polling system allows for that.

You have a 50% defect rate in your sample of two players. From a statistical standpoint, a good and bad unit don't cancel each other out.
post #13 of 54 Old 07-18-2008, 08:21 PM

No problems here. I love this machine.

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #14 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcserg View Post

No problems here. I love this machine.

I am with rcserg, too.

I have played SD & HD-DVD Discs with zero problems. The Reon Picture control is as advertised on SD and this is the best HD-DVD player I own (A2 & A35) regarding HD viewing.

Larry
post #15 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

So far, out of the 39 votes among the refurb buyers, 5 received defective players. That works out to 12.8%.

The numbers are similar between the first batch and second batch groups.

First batch: 2/14 or 14.3%
Second batch: 3/25 or 12.0%
post #16 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So far, out of the 39 votes among the refurb buyers, 5 received defective players. That works out to 12.8%.

The numbers are similar between the first batch and second batch groups.

First batch: 2/14 or 14.3%
Second batch: 3/25 or 12.0%

Yea, but many are under the impression that the "refurbs" are in fact new. Aside from that, any refurbs should have been put through the same stringent tests as a new item. So when determining your percentage of defects you can't just ignore the players bought before july. In addition, whether you got from the first or second batch is almost irrelevant from a poll like this, because any players sold likely came from the same lot.

So 11.37% is the defect rate from the poll. This is a very inexact poll too, in that it only shows 44 votes when 100's of players were surely sold (probably in the 1000's overall), so it could just so happen that there was a larger # of defects within our small sample size.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #17 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post

Yea, but many are under the impression that the "refurbs" are in fact new. Aside from that, any refurbs should have been put through the same stringent tests as a new item. So when determining your percentage of defects you can't just ignore the players bought before july. In addition, whether you got from the first or second batch is almost irrelevant from a poll like this, because any players sold likely came from the same lot.

So 11.37% is the defect rate from the poll. This is a very inexact poll too, in that it only shows 44 votes when 100's of players were surely sold (probably in the 1000's overall), so it could just so happen that there was a larger # of defects within our small sample size.

Excellent points.

My refurbished HD805 certainly looked like a brand new unit. It was cosmetically perfect and all of the packaging looked like that for a new unit. But other have received refurbs that were clearly used. So not all of them were brand new units.

And I agree that the defect rate from this poll may not reflect the true rate for all of the 805 models sold.

And it may very well be that all of the refurb players were drawn from the same lot. That would actually be my guess.

Another factor is that those responding to this poll are "self-selecting". They were not randomly selected from the entire group of 805 owners. As a result, the group of owners that respond to this poll may not reflect the entire population. As I wrote above: "People that have problems are much more likely to search out forums like this and post their experiences. That will tend to distort the results."

Still, it is interesting to see the results.

If you assume, for a moment, that the defect rate is in the order of 10% to 15%, then a positive way of looking at things is that well over 85% or more of the 805s sold were good units. That's a "glass is half full" view.

And, even if you did get a bad unit, Onkyo was sending out replacements and the player is also covered by a one year warranty. So the odds of any one buyer getting a good player eventually would be closer to 100%.

Anyway, for those that haven't voted yet, consider adding your experience to the tally!
post #18 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 09:57 AM

Bought mine right after the great Warner backstab. Still the single best piece of AV equipment in my rack. Have never had a single problem with it. Makes my old DVD's look better than ever, and PQ on HD DVD's is second to none.
post #19 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteSoxFan View Post

Bought mine right after the great Warner backstab. Still the single best piece of AV equipment in my rack. Have never had a single problem with it. Makes my old DVD's look better than ever, and PQ on HD DVD's is second to none.

aint that the truth! mine also.so far. only had it 6 days.

but i got faith! LOL.
post #20 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks for sharing your very positive experience with your 805. It's stories like that that make me feel fortunate that I was able to buy one before they sold out.

The crazy thing is that I didn't know that Onkyo even made HD-DVD players before the refurb closeout deal was posted online. Thanks to everyone here and over at HIghDefDigest for sharing news of the closeout deal.
post #21 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

Yup, me too...

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #22 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

For the types of problems that have been reported (I think all the defective players have pretty much been DOA or stuck on welcome), I agree these should have been caught even with a very non-stringent refurb inspection process.

I went ahead and split into 3 groups so we'd have a bit more granularity, but I agree there shouldn't have a difference between the 1st and 2nd batch. There was some speculation earlier that the 1st batch for $129 were true refurbs and the 2nd batch were new being sold as refurbs (sold for the most part at $199).

I placed one of the first (if not the first) order in the 2nd batch (mine is the only I'm aware of in the 2nd batch purchased for $129). Another user believes he's one of the last orders in the 2nd batch. So we'll calc the # of orders. If we ignore all other items bought during this period (i.e. assume all orders were for our players) and even add a multiplication factor (1.5x? 2x? to account for the fact that some people bought more than one), I'm speculating that we'll find the # of players purchased was low 100's at most. This was over a roughly 8hr period.

For the first batch, the # of players was likely even less, since the sale only lasted like 1.5hrs? (Not sure, but we can reference back to the sales thread). Though at the lower price, probably more people purchased multiples.
post #23 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Another factor is that those responding to this poll are "self-selecting". They were not randomly selected from the entire group of 805 owners. As a result, the group of owners that respond to this poll may not reflect the entire population. As I wrote above: "People that have problems are much more likely to search out forums like this and post their experiences. That will tend to distort the results."

I don't know if I agree with this. Because I see mostly the same people around these HD DVD forums. We're just the hard core HD DVD-er's that don't quite want to let go yet. I would agree with you though if the 5-6 people that had problems were new or infrequent AVS posters.

Quote:

Still, it is interesting to see the results.

If you assume, for a moment, that the defect rate is in the order of 10% to 15%, then a positive way of looking at things is that well over 85% or more of the 805s sold were good units. That's a "glass is half full" view.

And, even if you did get a bad unit, Onkyo was sending out replacements and the player is also covered by a one year warranty. So the odds of any one buyer getting a good player eventually would be closer to 100%.

I agree. We're all just lucky to have gotten players for this kind of price. And it seems that the people who have gotten a bad one are at least starting to get taken care of. I'd bet that even if they're out of stock now, some units will trickle in from somewhere and hopefully everyone will be taken care of eventually.
post #24 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 11:57 AM

My unit (a 7/7 batch refurb) worked fine for approximately 1.5 episondes of firefly. About halfway through the second one, it started to show jaggies, then the video froze. Audio continued. Video froze even though I ejected the disk. From then on, there was no video. I tried different dvds/hd-dvds and didn't get any video after that second disk.

Calling onkyo today for replacement.

I voted accordingly.
post #25 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by eitakura View Post

I would vote in both categories: 2nd batch defective and 2nd batch OK, since you experienced both. I'm just trying to get an idea of defect rate, not so much Onkyo CS's addressing of the situation through replacements.

I tried to put my second vote in, but it won't let since I already voted once. Maybe you can put the vote in for me, so we can have a more accurate count.
post #26 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I tried to put my second vote in, but it won't let since I already voted once. Maybe you can put the vote in for me, so we can have a more accurate count.

Even as the poll originator, I don't think I can add votes to the actual poll.

But if we manually add yours in, it'd be 27 good and 4 defective, or ~13% defect rate from 2nd batch.

For 1st batch, 13 good and 2 defective for a defect rate of also ~13%.

Based on the # of respondents for each category, we can probably say that more players were sold in 2nd batch than first. But I'd say probably not 2x more since I still think more people were likely to order multiples at $129 than $199. The poll doesn't allow those that purchased more than 1 to vote more than once in the same category.
post #27 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Same here.

BTW I just wanted to thank you for posting this deal over at slickdeals (if it was you?). I missed it here the first time around and barely got one in time seeing it posted there. I'd like to update my poll vote by adding the replacement player I received has so far worked flawlessly.
post #28 of 54 Old 07-19-2008, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Scott View Post

BTW I just wanted to thank you for posting this deal over at slickdeals (if it was you?). I missed it here the first time around and barely got one in time seeing it posted there. I'd like to update my poll vote by adding the replacement player I received has so far worked flawlessly.

Yea it was me, I missed the first deal to (I only ordered one player though, in hindsight I should've got two, lol).

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
post #29 of 54 Old 07-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Yea it was me, I missed the first deal to (I only ordered one player though, in hindsight I should've got two, lol).

You really had to be online at the right time for the $129 deal. They sold out within one hour of the deal posting on this forum.

I was offline for a couple of days and my jaw dropped when I saw the incredible deal that I missed. But I was more than happy to buy one at the $199 price. (Mine worked out to about $183 shipped.)

And, as a snapshot of the poll results so far, there have been 7 reported defective players out of the 52 votes so far. Not accounting for those that are prevented from voting more than once, the overall defect rate is about 13.5%.
post #30 of 54 Old 07-22-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I feel for those that have bad players but I think these numbers are panning our that the failure while unacceptable is not nearly as high as one would think after reading the 805 thread. Reading that, it would seem everyone and their mother got a bad unit.

HD DVD: 45 SD DVD: 350 BR: 120
PCs: 12, Mame Arcade:1, HD HTPC: 1, WHS Server: 1, HD A3: 2, HD-A30: 1

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page