post #271 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by akokonas View Post

what do you mean by resetting should i do this under maintenence or how do i do this, Thank you guys for the advice im trying persistent storage right now. Another thing is do you guys leave the ethernet plug in the unit at all times or do u leave it unattached

Hi,

Yes, there is a menu item under maintenence called "Reinitalize" that resets all the player's settings to their default settings. Since I haven't encountered any problems in updating I have chosen not to do this to avoid having to reset all my personalized settings. All of my firmware updates worked fine without Reintializing. Others' results may vary.

Yes, I have my player permanently connected to my router. They are both conveniently located in my equipment rack in my home theater. The main reasons for continuing to maintain this connection is 1)to permit downloading extra content for HD DVDs, or 2)to permit downloading new firmware updates.

Since there's very little likelihood of a new firmware update and studios are no longer producing new HD DVDs, the only reason to maintain the connection in the future would be in the event you purchased a previously released HD DVD that had additional downloadable content. There are not many titles that have been released with additional downloadable content, so as your HD DVD collection nears completion there is very little reason to maintain the Ethernet connection in the future.

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

efjay, I just tried several DVDs, and I could see the menu selection graphics on all of them while outputting at 1080p24.

Thanks for all your replies shark! I just got my 4.0 disc yesterday and was hoping this fixed the issues with 3.0. I've been staying at 2.7 until now.

Thanks again!
post #273 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM-10 View Post

My 4.0 disk just showed up in the mail. Still great support

Mine came today too.

Great job Toshiba, now please make a Blu-ray player.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS4
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)
post #274 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 04:21 PM

how do you get a 4.0 disc from toshiba?
post #275 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h0m45 View Post

how do you get a 4.0 disc from toshiba?

Hi,

I have found that Toshiba will automatically send you the discs if you register your player.

Otherwise you can call them and request a disc at 1-800-319-6684 or 1-888-694-3383.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customer...&value=9&id=71

Larry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #276 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 05:19 PM

thanks Larry.
post #277 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

It seems to me that SD DVD discs look worse with the 4.0 firmware update compared to the 2.7 update on one of my HD-A20 players. I have not updated the second one I own yet because of this.I used the test screens from the SD side of the combo DVE disc to test this before and after.

I also noticed that the sound level dropped as I never changed the sound but it dropped about 15-20% when I replayed the same disc at the same volume level. This is over optical because I do not have a HDMI receiver in my bedroom.

Anyone else see & hear this?

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

post #278 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 09:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked: 155
"Anyone else see this?"

What exactly?

Noah
post #279 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Just wanted to say thanks Toshiba for continuing to support us HD-DVD adopters. Although I am sad that HD-DVD lost the format war, I'm still happy with the purchases of my 2 HD-DVD players.
post #280 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

"Anyone else see this?"

What exactly?

A reduction in SD DVD picture quality after going from firmware version 2.7 to 4.0.

Also has anyone else noticed that the sound level dropped over optical especially with the SUB output after going from 2.7 to 4.0?

I thought what I typed was clear the first time but sorry if it wasn't. See my edit also that came after your post to add the audio issue I forgot to include originally.

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

post #281 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 05:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm not seeing any change in SD DVD picture quality or sound when going from 2.7 to 4.0.
- make sure that dynamic range control is off in the Setup menu. It could have been reset to Auto if the settings have been reset after the upgrade
- make sure that the Picture menu contains the same filter settings you had previously. They could have been reset if the settings have been reset after the upgrade.
post #282 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 05:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD_Lantern View Post

Just wanted to say thanks Toshiba for continuing to support us HD-DVD adopters. Although I am sad that HD-DVD lost the format war, I'm still happy with the purchases of my 2 HD-DVD players.

Dittos on the Thank You Toshiba update program.

At 7:00 I popped disc in and by 7:30 I was done. I then tried HD and SD discs and only ran a few minutes of each but all appears to be performing as they should. This was with the mailed to me Toshiba disc I received yesterday.

Please, Dumb It Down For Me.
post #283 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 05:46 AM

NEVERMIND! If I would have turned my TV on I would have seen that all this time I was being prompted for a Yes or No to update the version. I think everything will be fine now.

I am trying to load the the firmware update to my XA2, but when I put the CD-R in the player it Loads and sits at VER UP (not blinking). I have gone back through this thread and tried different ISO burn software that many of you have use, but I get the same result each time. The frustrating thing is that I update my firmware in this player previously without a problem.

Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? Maybe I'm not giving it enough time (I've waited 25 minutes), but it doesn't seem to be loading anything.

Thanks for your help.
post #284 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 09:42 AM

I can not get this firmware to load on my RCA player (A1 clone). I've updated successfully 4-5 times in the past via CD without trouble, but this is this 1st attempt I've made with a new computer. I can't get broadband internet, so the direct download isn't an option. I discovered that I couldn't load my old Nero 6 on Vista so I tried using the ISO burning programs on the "Master Burning" sticky thread, and none of those discs were even readable. I burned one with Roxio and one with Nero 8 on a different computer and each of these gave the message on screen to "Update - Yes/NO" with "verup" on the player as you would expect. However, when I hit yes, the machine just ejects the disc and powers down. I also tried re-downloading the update in case of corruption and had the same problem. Anyone else had this problem?
post #285 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

usually when something like that happens, just try re-burning the cd.

Things to try when re-burning:
Slow down the burn speed to 4x (I never burn faster than 16x no matter the speed of the drive. 1/2 the drive's max is my default rule for the max speed to ever consider using)

Try a different burning software. Imgburn has been reported by many to always work 100%

Try a different brand of blank media.

You already tried re-downloading the iso. Which isn't even needed since they are zipped. Unzippping a corrupted downloaded zip almost always results in CRC error during the unzip.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from

post #286 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Miles View Post

I can not get this firmware to load on my RCA player (A1 clone).

Firmware mentioned in this thread won't work on first gen players.
post #287 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi,

Yes, there is a menu item under maintenence called "Reinitalize" that resets all the player's settings to their default settings. Since I haven't encountered any problems in updating I have chosen not to do this to avoid having to reset all my personalized settings. All of my firmware updates worked fine without Reintializing. Others' results may vary.

Yes, I have my player permanently connected to my router. They are both conveniently located in my equipment rack in my home theater. The main reasons for continuing to maintain this connection is 1)to permit downloading extra content for HD DVDs, or 2)to permit downloading new firmware updates.

Since there's very little likelihood of a new firmware update and studios are no longer producing new HD DVDs, the only reason to maintain the connection in the future would be in the event you purchased a previously released HD DVD that had additional downloadable content. There are not many titles that have been released with additional downloadable content, so as your HD DVD collection nears completion there is very little reason to maintain the Ethernet connection in the future.

Larry

Except that if you are truly desirous of keeping HD content available via disc, then it is just a questiom of time before you add BD playback capability to your setup. If your BD capability intent is to support BD 2.0 (i.e. BD Live), then you continue to require ethernet connectivity for your players.
post #288 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

usually when something like that happens, just try re-burning the cd.

Things to try when re-burning:
Slow down the burn speed to 4x (I never burn faster than 16x no matter the speed of the drive. 1/2 the drive's max is my default rule for the max speed to ever consider using)

Try a different burning software. Imgburn has been reported by many to always work 100%

Try a different brand of blank media.

You already tried re-downloading the iso. Which isn't even needed since they are zipped. Unzippping a corrupted downloaded zip almost always results in CRC error during the unzip.

Unfortunately I have already tried re-burning numerous times and at slower speeds. I tried ImgBurn today for good measure and had the same result. I've also tried 2 different brands of media, including the same package that I've successfully used on 4-5 other updates. It doesn't seem like a burning problem since the disc is recognized by the player as an update. It's almost like it is failing the check to proceed as if v4.0 was already loaded. Is that possible?

Quote:

Firmware mentioned in this thread won't work on first gen players.

I actually downloaded the A1 firmware located at http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...D-A1-4000N.zip .
I only posted in this thread because the 1st gen players don't have a firmware v4.0 sticky and I didn't get any replies in the v3.0 thread.
post #289 of 559 Old 10-05-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorS View Post

Except that if you are truly desirous of keeping HD content available via disc, then it is just a questiom of time before you add BD playback capability to your setup. If your BD capability intent is to support BD 2.0 (i.e. BD Live), then you continue to require ethernet connectivity for your players.

Hi Trevor,

The question I was responding to specifically dealt with maintaining a connection to an HD DVD player. Eventually there will be little to no advange to maintain a permanent Ethernet connection to an HD DVD player.

Personally, I have preordered a profile 2.0 Blu-ray player and I do intend to connect it permanently to my router. When I do that it will fill all available Ethernet ports on my router, so I intend to remove the HD DVD Ethernet connection at such time as I need to free up a port.

Larry

post #290 of 559 Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Unfortunately I have already tried re-burning numerous times and at slower speeds. I tried ImgBurn today for good measure and had the same result. I've also tried 2 different brands of media, including the same package that I've successfully used on 4-5 other updates. It doesn't seem like a burning problem since the disc is recognized by the player as an update. It's almost like it is failing the check to proceed as if v4.0 was already loaded. Is that possible?

I actually downloaded the A1 firmware located at http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpasse...D-A1-4000N.zip .
I only posted in this thread because the 1st gen players don't have a firmware v4.0 sticky and I didn't get any replies in the v3.0 thread.

Hmm. well you could always give Toshiba a call and have them mail you the CD.

Have you been able to burn the update cd in the past and successfully update? If so, it might be a new problem with your unit. Try Toshiba's CD.

I downloaded all the updates and noticed that both the A1 and XA1 firmware downloads were identical. I'm not familiar enough with those models to know if that is correct or not. Could be that the A1 firmware you thought you downloaded was really the XA1 firmware. If that is what happened you could always call Toshiba, or wait for them to figure out the issue (assuming they in fact do not share the same FW) and then just re-download it.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from

post #291 of 559 Old 10-07-2008, 05:37 PM

No problems updating to 4.0, but Standard DVDs are still being displayed with faint lines at the top, bottom, and sides of the picture. I think it's just with non 16:9 anamorphic dvds. I can't believe anyone ever seriously recommended this POS as a quality upconverter when it introduces such a noticible artifact.
post #292 of 559 Old 10-08-2008, 12:54 AM

Are the faint lines at the very edge of the video? Is there more than one faint line per edge?
post #293 of 559 Old 10-08-2008, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Non anamorphic 16:9 content?

Isnt anamorphic 2:35, and 16:9 1:85, so basically on 4:3 dvds there is a problem?
post #294 of 559 Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 67
If you are having issues burning the firmware try the free program "Burn at Once" it works every time.
post #295 of 559 Old 10-08-2008, 04:51 PM

The lines are at the edge of the image, about a quarter of an inch in, surrounding it on all sides like a frame. Like this:

Only they're faint. They don't appear on 16:9 content. And I've only noticed them appearing on anamorphic discs that don't have a 16:9 aspect ratio.
post #296 of 559 Old 10-08-2008, 05:24 PM

Please don't forget that it could be your TV doing that. My last TV had a problem with picture centering.
post #297 of 559 Old 10-09-2008, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Never seen that? So what kind of aspect ratio is that picture then. Looks 16:9.
post #298 of 559 Old 10-09-2008, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwestley View Post

If you are having issues burning the firmware try the free program "Burn at Once" it works every time.

Thanks for the tip! Worked the first time out.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #299 of 559 Old 10-09-2008, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:

Brett,

The 4.0 firmware (for 1st generation players) worked on my D1, which had 3.0. But my A1 which is on 2.0 firmware would not load the 4.0.

Both of my XA2 players took the 4.0 firmware with flying colors.

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening
post #300 of 559 Old 10-09-2008, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I updated my XA2 from 3.0 to 4.0 and I don't notice any difference audio or video wise.
BTW:I used ImgBurn to burn a CD.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page