Old 12-15-2008, 11:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedeM View Post

Hi, Sorry is not a firmware post but maybe you guys can help me.

I´ve got an XA2 and suddenly doesn´t read any HD DVD discs; only SD DVD´s.

Ive got the error This Disc s not DVD format. Cannot play disc.

I´d already initialized the player and still no fix.
When I go to Persistent Storage a I find:

Device list 1/1
Fixed Persistent Storage
Info:
Device Name: Fixed persistent storage.
Slot name: Built-in flash memory.
Total Size: 128 (MB)
Available: 128(MB)
Average Speed rate: 10 (Mbps)

If I press A to choose the only line that I have on the list I got the message:
Provider list: The provider data cannot be found.

Any idea if this can be fixed?

Many thanks!

FWIW -- The usual problem when an HD-DVD player drops back to only reading DVD's is the drive. Toshiba service is probably the only way to restore the player.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeter1093 View Post

Can someone try connecting to the server and see if it's still there?

I'm trying to setup a wireless access point and it can't find the server. I don't know if it's because I have the WAP configured wrong or if the server is down. I gave away my 25 foot Cat5 cable to my college son so can't try it myself right now.

I just checked yesterday for an update using my XA2 with a wired connection. Got the normal "up to date" response after hitting all the boxes to get an update. I have f/w 4.0 already.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:32 PM

I have read the whole thread but never found an answer as to whether or not 4.0 fixes the audio dropouts when bitstreaming DD+. Has anyone found that it does?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:38 PM

As far as this update goes, my XA2 is working flawlessly. There have been no sound drop outs in any sound format through my Pioneer 94.

--joe
Old 12-18-2008, 08:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossRoad View Post

I have read the whole thread but never found an answer as to whether or not 4.0 fixes the audio dropouts when bitstreaming DD+. Has anyone found that it does?

You didn't say what receiver you have. If it is an Onkyo then you need a firmware update. It is a known problem with some Onkyo units, depends on build date once you update. You can try calling tech support. They aren't much help. This thread has the info. you need
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1016297&page=1
Old 12-19-2008, 10:11 AM

My apologies...I should have mentioned that. I have an Elite VSX 94, but brought home an SC 07 last night. I guess I didn't mention it since I believed the issue to be only with the XA2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

You didn't say what receiver you have. If it is an Onkyo then you need a firmware update. It is a known problem with some Onkyo units, depends on build date once you update. You can try calling tech support. They aren't much help. This thread has the info. you need
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1016297&page=1

Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My apologies...I should have mentioned that. I have an Elite VSX 94, but brought home an SC 07 last night. I guess I didn't mention it since I believed the issue to be only with the XA2.

You may want to check to see if anyone else has had this problem with the same hardware you have. Make sure you have the latest update for your receiver if there are any available. It might be a problem with your particular XA2 otherwise. If you know someone who has a player that bitstreams then you could rule out the problem in your receiver. I haven't read anywhere that this is a known problem with the XA2.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

You may want to check to see if anyone else has had this problem with the same hardware you have. Make sure you have the latest update for your receiver if there are any available. It might be a problem with your particular XA2 otherwise. If you know someone who has a player that bitstreams then you could rule out the problem in your receiver. I haven't read anywhere that this is a known problem with the XA2.

The only glitch I've noticed with the latest firmware is that sometimes I'll start an HD movie and get some warning that Direct Digital Mode is not on (even though it is). I need to hit "Stop", then "Play" and that corrects the issue. Anybody else have this occur?

These as well as the BD players sure do behave a lot like PCs--more than the players of the old days for sure. Heck we even have to upgrade firmware on Receivers from time to time as well.

"The best long distance runners eat raw meat, run naked and sleep in the snow."
Old 12-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are no DD+ dropout issues directly related to a properly working XA2 so there is no firmware fix necessary. I have a Pioneer receiver and it works perfectly. If it is your XA2 causing it then it needs servicing, not a firmware update IMHO.

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
If an XA2/receiver combo produces audio drops when bitstreaming, switch to having the XA2 do the decoding.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
He is not alone re the DD+ dropouts on Pio AVRs - I have it on my XA2 and VSX-01, and I have run into a few other members that do as well. It is only on DD+ and only with certain titles. Decoding and sending PCM is fine. The problem is the Tosh, or so I was told in the AVR forum. I can't verify this with my Denon 887, as it doesn't decode DD+. In any event, it isn't a big deal. Dolby True HD is not affected, nor is legacy DD or DTS.

Go Duke !
Old 12-31-2008, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRO-630HD View Post

I know some people gave all their hddvd's away. Seemed foolish when many of the Paramount titles had superior VC1 encodes vs. MPEG-2 and 1.5 MBPS DD+ vs. 640 kbps DD. Many of those Universal HDDVD's will not be on bluray for some time if at all. Universal is only releasing about 3 titles a month.

I guess people fear having more than one machine. Being an audiophile having multiple formats is not that weird. Agreed about Universal, I grabbed Dune because it may never see Blu-ray for a very long time.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

The only glitch I've noticed with the latest firmware is that sometimes I'll start an HD movie and get some warning that Direct Digital Mode is not on (even though it is). I need to hit "Stop", then "Play" and that corrects the issue. Anybody else have this occur?

I have this problem on FW 2.7. First time I start up the machine, it's PCM only. Hit stop and play again, and I get bitstream.

I have a similar problem with getting 1080p/24 (as opposed to 1080p/60), but to fix that, I have to enter and leave the setup menu. Totally bizarre.

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

I have this problem on FW 2.7. First time I start up the machine, it's PCM only. Hit stop and play again, and I get bitstream.

I have a similar problem with getting 1080p/24 (as opposed to 1080p/60), but to fix that, I have to enter and leave the setup menu. Totally bizarre.

The last glitch of having to enter/exit setup to get 1080P/24 has happened maybe twice with both my XA2 and A35. Other than that they both have been great machines, with top billing going to the XA2 overall.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

I have had the same thing happen since updating to V4.00 on my XA2. It happens perhaps every fifth or sixth movie I play. Otherwise, IMO, the new firmware is flawless. A fine legacy for an awesome product. I still cannot believe it's been nearly a year since its demise...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Munshower View Post

I have had the same thing happen since updating to V4.00 on my XA2. It happens perhaps every fifth or sixth movie I play. Otherwise, IMO, the new firmware is flawless. A fine legacy for an awesome product. I still cannot believe it's been nearly a year since its demise...Will

If you didn't initialize after doing the update I would do it. That may take care of it. Someone in one of the previous XA2 firmware update threads recommended doing it after each update.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Scubawoman,

Yup. I did initialize after the 4.0 update. I got into the habit a long time ago when I had very undesirable results after a firmware upgrade. I'll try it again to see if the problem clears up. Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I miss the good old days when there were 100's of us here. Those were the days...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Scubawoman,
Thanks and sorry for the late reply. I miss the good old days when there were 100's of us here. Those were the days...Will

No worries.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Quote:

I had the same thing happen to mine, interesting, I doubt if we will see a new firmware to correct it, not a big deal....

-Tom
Old 01-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom899 View Post

I had the same thing happen to mine, interesting, I doubt if we will see a new firmware to correct it, not a big deal....

Nope not a big deal at all. This player still is an awesome beast.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Maybe the warning is just new.

I have experienced the problem of not getting my bitstream, despite having the correct settings in the setup menu, numerous times. But, with FW 2.7, I've never seen a warning about it. I just see it on the face of my preamp and when I push "Display."

Jeffnebraska
After 7 Years With a JVC RS1 - Starting to Get the Upgrade Itch
Old 01-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffNebraska View Post

Maybe the warning is just new.

I have experienced the problem of not getting my bitstream, despite having the correct settings in the setup menu, numerous times. But, with FW 2.7, I've never seen a warning about it. I just see it on the face of my preamp and when I push "Display."

I still get the warning message occasionally. Very random, I am not sure if it is the disc itself as far as encoding goes, or what may trigger that message.

It would be nice to be able to hit stop, enable it AGAIN and then upon playback, the damn thing will resume where it had left off at, kinda like it does during stop/playback on a standard dvd
Old 01-17-2009, 01:29 PM

I downloaded and unzipped the 4.0 iso and burnt it to a CD-R. Then when I put it in the player I get this message Disc is not dvd format. Cannot play the disc.
Well no **** its not a DVD. Since when have you not been able to read CD's?

I've updated my firmware in the past with no issues. Anyone know what's going on?
Old 01-17-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post

I downloaded and unzipped the 4.0 iso and burnt it to a CD-R. Then when I put it in the player I get this message Disc is not dvd format. Cannot play the disc.
Well no **** its not a DVD. Since when have you not been able to read CD's?

I've updated my firmware in the past with no issues. Anyone know what's going on?

Did you remember to burn the iso file to the CD as an image?
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm guessing that was the problem. I went through 3 burning programs before hitting gold with the 4th. It was the only one that specifically asked if I wanted to burn as an image. Thanks!
Old 01-17-2009, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gouty View Post

I'm guessing that was the problem. I went through 3 burning programs before hitting gold with the 4th. It was the only one that specifically asked if I wanted to burn as an image. Thanks!

Active ISO Burner seems to be a very reliable tool-which is free BTW.

http://www.download.com/Active-ISO-B...-10602452.html

Old 01-20-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Active ISO Burner seems to be a very reliable tool-which is free BTW.

http://www.download.com/Active-ISO-B...-10602452.html

first i tried power iso, even tried active iso? i unzip it with winrar my dvd player goes in a loop of loading. after 8 disc i think im going to give up. i need help, PLEASE.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valtopps View Post

first i tried power iso, even tried active iso? i unzip it with winrar my dvd player goes in a loop of loading. after 8 disc i think im going to give up. i need help, PLEASE.

You shouldn't need winrar as the download is a zipped ISO and as such can be burned with Active ISO by extracting it with WinZip or Windows XP/Vista.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM

well on on my 10th disc and no luck. anyone got a copy for a hd-a2?
Old 01-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Are you sure you downloaded the A2 firmware? I ask only becuase this thread is for the higher models...

Ye who now will bless the poor shall yourselves find blessing.