post #241 of 559 Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What exactly are you looking for? I've read replies that it fixes the jaggies on 1080p/24, other disc play fine that didn't work before. So what other evidence do you need?

FWIW, I've updated both my A2 and A35 and have absolutely no problems.

I just updated via disc. Internet didn't work. Seems flawless to me. I am watching Stargate SG-1 Season 2 on SD DVD and it LOOKS DAMN GOOD. For anyone thinking of dumping this player, think twice. If anything you will not find a better SD DVD player that also plays your HD DVD discs.

PS: Don'y flame me for my sig. I am looking forward to this Disney classic...even if it is on BD.

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 559 Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just got my update disc 4.0 for HD-XA2 in the mail today. Way to go Toshiba!
post #243 of 559 Old 10-02-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

What exactly are you looking for? I've read replies that it fixes the jaggies on 1080p/24, other disc play fine that didn't work before. So what other evidence do you need?

Some people reported that version 3.0 fixed the jaggies, which it didn't. Some also claimed that 3.0 fixed the shutdown bug, introduced the shutdown bug, improved the PQ, worsened the PQ, ended world hunger, caused a famine, turned lead into gold, turned wine into water.

Now the folks who have chimed in this thread, whom I have a great deal of respect for, have just about convinced me to upgrade from the coveted 2.7 platform that my player currently resides at. But before I pop this 4.0 update disc into my XA2, I'd like to hear from Josh Z, someone who is more than just a hobbyist, but a professional reviewer of this kind of equipment.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.
post #244 of 559 Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfbinet View Post

I just updated via disc. Internet didn't work. Seems flawless to me. I am watching Stargate SG-1 Season 2 on SD DVD and it LOOKS DAMN GOOD. For anyone thinking of dumping this player, think twice. If anything you will not find a better SD DVD player that also plays your HD DVD discs.

PS: Don'y flame me for my sig. I am looking forward to this Disney classic...even if it is on BD.

Hrmmm, I'll have to check out my SG1 season 2 on my XA2 now, I haven't watched them in quite a while.

Don't worry, I'm buying Sleeping Beauty, too.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #245 of 559 Old 10-02-2008, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

Some people reported that version 3.0 fixed the jaggies, which it didn't. Some also claimed that 3.0 fixed the shutdown bug, introduced the shutdown bug, improved the PQ, worsened the PQ, ended world hunger, caused a famine, turned lead into gold, turned wine into water.

Now the folks who have chimed in this thread, whom I have a great deal of respect for, have just about convinced me to upgrade from the coveted 2.7 platform that my player currently resides at. But before I pop this 4.0 update disc into my XA2, I'd like to hear from Josh Z, someone who is more than just a hobbyist, but a professional reviewer of this kind of equipment.

I'd rather be safe than sorry.

4.0 fixes the AVC jaggies.

post #246 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tn001d View Post

It would be nice if people would just write in regards to 4.0 and if its worth updating to the new firmware.

Thanks

For me it corrected the digital direct audio mode, where as when I insert the movie, I do not have to hit stop then play again for the HDMI bitstreaming of DTS MA and TRU HD audio. I am also very pleased with the faster (no pud intended) FF and RW search modes. Also, the "jaggies" have disappeard with 4.0 (as others have mentioned)
post #247 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaKane View Post

Have you been able to put 4.0 through its paces on your XA2? I'm really interested in hearing what you have to say about this latest update.

My XA2 is boxed up in a closet currently. I've been using an A35 for HD DVDs lately. Firmware 4.0 does fix the jaggies on Transformers on the A35, and I have every confidence that the XA2 is fixed as well.

Josh Z
Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
)
Curator,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers.

post #248 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Does 4.0 do anything that reduces the issues when watching DVD's at 1080p24?

Also any more impressions on whether 4.0 brings any PQ improvements? I have had my XA2 boxed for a while while I use my combo BH200 but am inclined to move back to the XA2. Thanks.
post #249 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

The jaggies in the helicopter opening scene and in the Camaro pan are indeed gone in Transformers on my XA2 @24p with 4.0.

Some days it's hardly worth chewing through the restraints.
post #250 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efjay View Post

Does 4.0 do anything that reduces the issues when watching DVD's at 1080p24?

If you could be more specific then I'll take a crack at answering this for you.

post #251 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

If you could be more specific then I'll take a crack at answering this for you.

The issue is some DVD menu's cannot be selected when the output is set to 1080p24 so you have to switch to 1080p60, just wondering if the new firmware could autodetect when playing DVD's and drop the resolution.
post #252 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post

My XA2 is boxed up in a closet currently. I've been using an A35 for HD DVDs lately. Firmware 4.0 does fix the jaggies on Transformers on the A35, and I have every confidence that the XA2 is fixed as well.

Thanks, Josh.

And a big thanks to Shark, Scuba and all the others who have reported their results with this update.
post #253 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The issue is some DVD menu's cannot be selected when the output is set to 1080p24 so you have to switch to 1080p60, just wondering if the new firmware could autodetect when playing DVD's and drop the resolution.

I believe the issue was that one could not see the menu animation that would show the selection. You could still navigate the menu, you just couldn't see where you were. I think I noticed on my TRON DVD that this was now working properly at 1080p24, but let me try a few more later tonight. There's always the possibility that it's disc dependent, as well (perhaps how the menu is authored).

post #254 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakane View Post

thanks, josh.

And a big thanks to shark, scuba and all the others who have reported their results with this update.

post #255 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you set the frame rate to auto and resolution up to 1080p/24, I found with 4.0 it will switch the frame rate for SD but then won't switch it back for HD. So I just go into settings and change it when I have to.
post #256 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Once again I'm impressed with Toshiba's support of the HD DVD format even after it's unfortunate demise. I received an unsolicited 4.0 firmware update disc for my XA2 in the mail today. If only Onkyo supported their receivers this well.
post #257 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm View Post

Once again I'm impressed with Toshiba's support of the HD DVD format even after it's unfortunate demise. I received an unsolicited 4.0 firmware update disc for my XA2 in the mail today. If only Onkyo supported their receivers this well.

Hi,

I agree. I also received my upgrade disc today too, but I had already upgraded via Ethernet.

Today, I also felt impelled to send Toshiba a short note of thanks.

Larry

post #258 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

If you set the frame rate to auto and resolution up to 1080p/24, I found with 4.0 it will switch the frame rate for SD but then won't switch it back for HD. So I just go into settings and change it when I have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkcohen View Post

I believe the issue was that one could not see the menu animation that would show the selection. You could still navigate the menu, you just couldn't see where you were. I think I noticed on my TRON DVD that this was now working properly at 1080p24, but let me try a few more later tonight. There's always the possibility that it's disc dependent, as well (perhaps how the menu is authored).

OK, thanks for those answers. I think I will be hooking up my XA2 again and doing the update and will see how it goes with Iron Butt.
post #259 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, thanks for those answers. I think I will be hooking up my XA2 again and doing the update and will see how it goes with Iron Butt.

efjay, I just tried several DVDs, and I could see the menu selection graphics on all of them while outputting at 1080p24.

post #260 of 559 Old 10-03-2008, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:

Amen, Brother!

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
post #261 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabre View Post

Updated to 4.0 and the one thing I noticed is in that when skipping to next/previous chapter, there is no more audio delay. Great job Tosh.

Does 4.0 also improve the speed of chapter searching? With 2.7 I found chapter searching to be slow when compared to my SD DVD player.
post #262 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubawoman View Post

How can I tell what frame rate is being used by the player? Thanks
post #263 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tristan2 View Post

How can I tell what frame rate is being used by the player? Thanks

You need to see what your display says.

post #264 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 10:24 AM

Hey guys i was just wondering if someone could help me out cause Toshiba doesnt want to for some reason. Ok I have the HD-A30 and it has 3.0 and all of my universal HD combo discs are freezing up on me at the same point every frickin time. I have a 1080p/24 TV as well. Now im noticing that other movies are starting to freeze up as well and I told Toshiba about this and they told me I have to contact Universal and try to get new discs. I Dont know what else to try but if anyone had this type of problem or knows what I can do that would be great help! Thanks
post #265 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akokonas View Post

Hey guys i was just wondering if someone could help me out cause Toshiba doesnt want to for some reason. Ok I have the HD-A30 and it has 3.0 and all of my universal HD combo discs are freezing up on me at the same point every frickin time. I have a 1080p/24 TV as well. Now im noticing that other movies are starting to freeze up as well and I told Toshiba about this and they told me I have to contact Universal and try to get new discs. I Dont know what else to try but if anyone had this type of problem or knows what I can do that would be great help! Thanks

Sounds like you should contact toshiba support but what happens if you try playing back your movies at 1080i? I don't think upgrading to 4.0 will make a difference.
post #266 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:

Now im noticing that other movies are starting to freeze up as well

Sounds like your unit is experiencing problems with the disc drive or laser. You probably need to send it in to get serviced.
post #267 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

Harman's support leaves much to be desired as well. See the threads in the audio section.

Am I the only A20 user running 4.0?
post #268 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Try deleting the persistent storage for your player and if that doesn't work try resetting the player as well. If you end up resetting it, then you have to change the options again.

It that doesn't work, then you likely have a memory or drive issue.

Hope this helps!

Had to move my HT gear list to my profile so click below link to see it:

post #269 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 01:58 PM

what do you mean by resetting should i do this under maintenence or how do i do this, Thank you guys for the advice im trying persistent storage right now. Another thing is do you guys leave the ethernet plug in the unit at all times or do u leave it unattached
post #270 of 559 Old 10-04-2008, 02:23 PM

My 4.0 disk just showed up in the mail. Still great support
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page