What should I do with my spare HD-A35? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-10-2008, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, I've had a A30 for almost a year now. This past February I got an A35 @ Fry's for $150 that I planned to keep as a backup to my A30 in case something happened, or until I got a receiver that could give me all the lossless audio codecs the A35 can output.

Well now I've got the receiver, Onkyo 805, and my HT is complete for now but I'm wondering if it would be better to bust open the A35 or keep it in the box until the A30 dies or incase I ever want to sell it. I have about 50 HD-DVDs and probably 75% of my DVD watching is in SD so I'm thinking the A35 at this time isn't that necessary. Plus how many of my HD DVDs are going to benefit from the A35 over the A30.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 12:06 AM

They both have the same Anchor bay video processor so as far as video quality it would be a wash, and the only thing the A30 doesn't do is pass bitstream audio but decodes all so imho its a wash also, since the only difference would be your receiver would display true hd or dts ma but the sound would be the same. i would keep the a35 as a back up or sell it.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

I agree with SL, you won't gain anything now from the A35 unless you get a receiver that will light up with indicators for the HD DVD tracks. Whoopie! The sound will be the same as you have now via HDMI though. There might be a three or four discs that benefit from bitstreaming over HDMI (Pan's Labyrinth maybe?) but the average HD DVD won't.

I guess it depends how long you plan to keep using HD DVD for your discs and upconversion. If you're talking years then a backup is nice to have. It's up to you whether you keep the A35 as the backup since you probably could see it NIB for $200 or more then get another A30 for $70. Then again it's nice to have so may not be worth the bother. And who knows, we may all want our new receivers to light up right!

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #4 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Advanced Member

To me it's a nobrainer...unless HD was a one night stand for you: keep it as a backup. It's a cheap insurance policy. I only paid $70 for each of mine (w/ the 7 movies), but even at twice the price, I still think it's cheap insurance...unless it's a one night stand.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I agree with johndn, Murphy's law and my experience. The A30 will probably break 2 weeks after you sell the A35!
post #6 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I upgrade my firmware to 4.0 an I think my player just gained new life. I'm also still buying disc for pennies on the dollar. Long live hd-dvd.

tony4k
post #7 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 05:39 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbase1 View Post

I upgrade my firmware to 4.0 an I think my player just gained new life. I'm also still buying disc for pennies on the dollar. Long live hd-dvd.

I have a used A3 and a brand new Venturer as backups that I just updated to V4.0...With well over 120 HD DVD I want to playthem for a good long while...Have 8 more HD DVD on the way and I am sure I will get more...
post #8 of 14 Old 11-11-2008, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses guys. Definitely answered some questions about gaining anything from opening the A35. I didn't ever intend to sell the player if that's how it came across, which it could have. My original plan was to keep the A35 closed up until I got another TV for my computer room, then the A35 would open up and A30 would move there and A35 would become my main player. I plan to keep my HD DVD's forever and still am growing my collection, though it is halted now b/c of the HT equipment, but if something happened I wanted to keep the A35 in the box to keep up resale.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post

Thanks for the responses guys. Definitely answered some questions about gaining anything from opening the A35. I didn't ever intend to sell the player if that's how it came across, which it could have. My original plan was to keep the A35 closed up until I got another TV for my computer room, then the A35 would open up and A30 would move there and A35 would become my main player. I plan to keep my HD DVD's forever and still am growing my collection, though it is halted now b/c of the HT equipment, but if something happened I wanted to keep the A35 in the box to keep up resale.

Doesn't it somewhat bother you, that the A35 could be defective sitting there untested. IF you're not going to sell the A35, crack that baby, and test it for a few hours on firmware 4.0. Then, put it back away in Mr. Closet.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Give it to me as an anonymous gesture of good will. I can swing by and pick it up when I'm in Portland for my annual hometown holiday visit.
post #11 of 14 Old 11-12-2008, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonydude1966 View Post

Doesn't it somewhat bother you, that the A35 could be defective sitting there untested. IF you're not going to sell the A35, crack that baby, and test it for a few hours on firmware 4.0. Then, put it back away in Mr. Closet.

Only the slightest bit but I figure the likelihood is very unlikely. I guess I'm just a risk taker.
post #12 of 14 Old 11-13-2008, 03:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrice View Post

Only the slightest bit but I figure the likelihood is very unlikely. I guess I'm just a risk taker.

As an aside: If you "never intend to sell the player," what is the benefit of never opening the box? I mean, really. Especially when weighed against the possibility, in fact, small probability, that the unit is doa? Or is missing parts. Keep in mind despite these players having an initial msrp of $399, that quickly dropped to $299, and almost all of the players sold for under $200 (I got my two for $79).

You may want to reconsider and just open the darn thing and plug it in. I have four units, but because of a recent downsize, I am only using one player. My second theater will be set up by the end of the month. I have opened and started all my players. They are not precious golden eggs that increase in value because they never see the light of day. They are electronics that are meant to be used and that decrease in value over time (almost invariably, save for some Mac's and a small list of other brands/models). I would want to ascertain that it operates fine, is undamaged, and that all the accoutrements are present. But then, I don't like living dangerously. Cheers, John
post #13 of 14 Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndn View Post

As an aside: If you "never intend to sell the player," what is the benefit of never opening the box? I mean, really.

Maybe because he is not firm on that idea???

Quote:

if something happened I wanted to keep the A35 in the box to keep up resale.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Advanced Member

I recently bought a 'New in the Box' HD-A35 on Ebay for $305. The value of your player is significantly greater unopened.

While Johndn's statement about electronics depreciating over time is not incorrect, that statement completely dismisses the persepctive of a potential buyer. Generally speaking, people want new things. They also want the security a NIB item provides. People on the internet do not know you and there are trust issues a buyer may also have to contend with; Will the seller actually ship the item, Will it arrive as described, Will I get refund if the player arrives DOA? Selling a new, unopened item addresses most of those issues in the mind of a buyer. Personally speaking, I will always pay more for a New In The Box item than anything described as "gently used" or "tested".

Just my two cents.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page