Lost my surround sound out of XA2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 11-29-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have had my XA2 connected to an Onkyo 705 via HDMI for awhile now. At first, I had great audio in any sound format on either HD-DVD or regular DVD. My XA2 has been on PCM this whole time. My Onkyo 705 is set to "DIRECT" so that whatever sound format the player wants to use is what is played.

Well for the past couple of days, the XA2 and my Onkyo will only output stereo sound on BOTH HD-DVD and DVD discs. My Onkyo is still set to DIRECT. Scrolling through my Onkyo's sound options when playing a disc only reveals choices for a 2 channel program. I can simulate surround sound by choosing one of the ProLogic II choices or whatever.

My other HDMI inputs into the Onkyo are my PS3 and Time Warner Cable HD box. Both of which are producing a surround sound through the Onkyo. Even the exact same DVD played out of the PS3 instead of the XA2 produces the appropriate Dolby Digital sound output from the Onkyo when set to DIRECT.

So this leads me to believe that something has happened to my XA2. Has anyone ever heard of this and can lend some insight?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-30-2008, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Try Initializing the XA2 to see if that helps. You will put it back to factory defaults. If you have made any changes in your setup, you will have to make them again.

Try switching HDMI inputs with the PS3 on the 705 and see if the problem remains with the XA2 or has switched to the PS3. If it has changed to the PS3, it may be something in the Setup of that HDMI input.

I don't have the 705, but on my 603, I can different settings and preferences for each input. Change to the input you are using for the XA2 and compare the settings you have for the PS3.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-09-2008, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougPr View Post

I have had my XA2 connected to an Onkyo 705 via HDMI for awhile now. At first, I had great audio in any sound format on either HD-DVD or regular DVD. My XA2 has been on PCM this whole time. My Onkyo 705 is set to "DIRECT" so that whatever sound format the player wants to use is what is played.

Well for the past couple of days, the XA2 and my Onkyo will only output stereo sound on BOTH HD-DVD and DVD discs. My Onkyo is still set to DIRECT. Scrolling through my Onkyo's sound options when playing a disc only reveals choices for a 2 channel program. I can simulate surround sound by choosing one of the ProLogic II choices or whatever.

My other HDMI inputs into the Onkyo are my PS3 and Time Warner Cable HD box. Both of which are producing a surround sound through the Onkyo. Even the exact same DVD played out of the PS3 instead of the XA2 produces the appropriate Dolby Digital sound output from the Onkyo when set to DIRECT.

This has nothing to do with your problem but I wonder why would you use "Direct" on the receiver which will bypass it's bass management settings and will send full range signals to all speakers, and send the LFE only to the sub if one is connected. Just curious if you knew that that's what "Direct" will do.

The Hun
post #4 of 4 Old 12-15-2008, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Do you also have a coax or toslink cable attached? They can only carry 2-channel PCM. If not, it sounds as though somehow the player thinks it's outputting over one of those connections. If you do, the 705 may have been inadvertently switched to that input.

Why use PCM to feed the 705 (in Direct mode) when the 705 can decode all of the advanced audio formats that the XA-2 can bitstream? You can tell the 705 to remain in a specific mode for each sound format (TrueHD mode for TrueHD tracks, for instance), if that's important to you. Direct mode is as the Hun said. It defeats bass management and the Audyssey room correction, which I personally find very worthwhile. All this together seems to be akin to putting a 55 mph governor on a Ferrari, IMHO. You are giving up much of the 705's capability that you paid good money for.

...Royce...

"I never drink...wine."
Bela Lugosi, DRACULA, 1931
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page