Has anyone tried a 4.1 audio set-up? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba XA-2 player that I've been very pleased with. I recently decided to do away with a center channel speaker, because it sounded too different from my left-right speakers, and I have a one man theater.

I have no problems with standard DVD's in this set-up. Film dialogue sounds fine. But..... when I play one of my (many) HD-DVD's..... NO dialogue! I have removed the center channel in my set-up menu, and can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Of course I can hear the sound track properly by using a digital cable to my receiver....but I prefer using the analog output in order to hear the advanced resolution soundtracks on most of the discs.

Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 10:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

I have a Toshiba XA-2 player that I've been very pleased with. I recently decided to do away with a center channel speaker, because it sounded too different from my left-right speakers, and I have a one man theater.

I have no problems with standard DVD's in this set-up. Film dialogue sounds fine. But..... when I play one of my (many) HD-DVD's..... NO dialogue! I have removed the center channel in my set-up menu, and can't figure out what the problem is. Any ideas?

Of course I can hear the sound track properly by using a digital cable to my receiver....but I prefer using the analog output in order to hear the advanced resolution soundtracks on most of the discs.

Well with analog if you removed the center channel then you removed the sound from the center. The sound is direct with analog with digital your receiver does some processing to mix the center in with your left and right speakers very similar to dolby surround processing years ago before pro logic processing was introduced. I think if you run hdmi your receiver should process the same as your optical connection.
Good luck.
ohills likes this.
post #3 of 5 Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by William L Carman View Post

Speaker setup in your receiver only works with a digital connection.

Does your player allow you to specify "no center" in its speaker setup menu? That's where you have to do it.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 5 Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am struggling with a less than ideal placement problem and am just beginning to consider a 4.1 solution like this. Opinions? Is it not a big deal/problem? Pros/cons? I would be going relatively high end for the 4 speakers...paradigm booksheleves are hi on the list now.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-06-2009, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaelstromR View Post

I am struggling with a less than ideal placement problem and am just beginning to consider a 4.1 solution like this. Opinions? Is it not a big deal/problem? Pros/cons? I would be going relatively high end for the 4 speakers...paradigm booksheleves are hi on the list now.

This is probably not the place to discuss it; you'd probably get more action in the Speakers forum.

IMO the main drawback is that the farther off-axis you sit, the less anchored to the screen the dialogue will seem. More a problem with larger rooms and wider seating arrangements. The other issue is that you may not be able to boost the dialog channel's volume individually, which can be useful with some program material where the dialog is buried in the mix.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page