IS this the time to get out of HD DVD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 81 Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think this is a good time to get out of HD DVD? I am considering selling my Toshiba HD A35 and A3 and 70 something movies. A35's are selling for more than twice what I paid. Movies seem to be flattening out. I have a BR (Panny 35) player and I still don't think the picture is as good as HD but I sure do like DTS MA sound. Most of the HD movies are 5.1+ and most of these movies are now available in BR.

I don't think I will buy as many BR movies since I can't get them for $10.00 and under like I have my HD movies. This way I could pickup maybe 10 BR when on sale/used I really want out of all the HD titles and pocket some serious cash. I just think we've reached the peak on player value as the movies seem to be going for 3-5 a movie now.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 81 Old 02-11-2009, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I don't understand what you are asking.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #3 of 81 Old 02-11-2009, 09:43 PM

Since you're trying to keep up with the Jones'. Sell it all and let someone else benefit from having a nice player and HD DVD collection.

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #4 of 81 Old 02-11-2009, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

If you have to ask and are not enjoying your player and movies, then yes, you should let someone else enjoy them.
post #5 of 81 Old 02-11-2009, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
What are you talking about? I have 80+ hddvd's and four players. Why would I get out?? The movies still play and will play for years. Why get out? Are you no longer interested in watching movies?

I also have 200+ Blu rays. They sit next to the HDDVDs. They all play well together. Buy BD if you like and keep everything.

I have shelves full of DVHS tapes. They also play well with their optical HD brothers. Why sell anything?

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #6 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
I just bought my first laserdisc player 2 months ago to go alongside my XA2 and ps3. I wish I still had all my old game consoles. I really miss my Atari 5200.

Unless something stops working, why get rid of it?

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #7 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
If I worked for AVS Forum, this thread might inspire me to finally shut-down the HD-DVD area and archive it!!!
post #8 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 196
If you're one of those people who watches a movie once and then sells it, then eventually there will be nothing for you to watch on HD-DVD.

If you re-visit movies you like and are someone who (like me) might want to randomly access any movie any time, and therefore has a large collection, then you will (like me) keep a working player for every format you've ever bought software for.

I haven't gotten out of 16mm film, BetaMax, VHS, or LaserDisc. I'm still buying HD-DVDs faster than I can watch them. Get out? Not likely.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #9 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Get. Out. Now.

post #10 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
get out while you still can!!!
post #11 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

The player are worth more, but media... My friend sold a couple of movies at 1-2$ on Ebay.. so i'd say keep the titles that are the same on both

89+ Blu-ray Disc ;)
post #12 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM

Get out? I'm just getting in! There is so much cheap content out there for movies I either wanted on DVD or already own on DVD that it's a no-brainer to upgrade to HD-DVD. I don't feel like paying 4-5x as much for BDs.
post #13 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 02:24 PM

Cheap HD movies and you want to get out of it? I got into HD right after Christmas.
post #14 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 05:07 PM

I just dumped my 2 A35s on Ebay and sold all 300 of my HD-DVD movies...I couldn't be happier!...Blu-ray titles are now available for Serenity, King-Kong, Bourne collection, Matrix, etc...(actually look better on my new Pioneer Elite Blu-Ray player)...So the answer is...YES!!!... GET OUT NOW!!!... Let some other sucker get stuck with your crappy HD Player and 2$ movies!...LOL!
post #15 of 81 Old 02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
If your timing your get-out for $, your already way too late. If your timing your get-out to get rid of the space HD DVD takes or simplify things, only you can answer that.
post #16 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Liked: 11
High Definition is High Definition regardless in how you view and listen to it. Currently HD DVD movies and players cost dirt cheap and should be highly recommended to people wanting to start building an enormous High Def library on the cheap. They can always continue building with Blu-Ray as prices drop providing the format succeeds.

I’ve been recommending HD DVD to so many people and they've been thanking me because its greatly affordable and motivational which helped them deside on an HDTV purchase.
post #17 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 02:58 PM

Uh, the time to get out was before getting in. Now that you're already in, you may as well stay and enjoy what you've got.
post #18 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 05:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

IS this the time to get out of HD?

HD? or HD DVD? Be specific with topic titles, see my edit.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #19 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 67
I'll answer that question right after I finish watching this Laserdisc!
post #20 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post

Uh, the time to get out was before getting in. Now that you're already in, you may as well stay and enjoy what you've got.

No kidding.....is this a trick question?

Nevermind.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #21 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

I can see that some of you did not read my entire post or fixated only on getting out of HD. I justed wanted to stimulate some conversation around the state of H DVD. Yes I enjoy my movies more than once as well as the low prices. My concern is that eventaully the bottom is going fall out on the players just like the movies. Clearly some are still bullish and others are bears. I'm in the middle. I really enjoy DTS Master audio. Early on Blu Ray did not have the titles I wanted and the players were overpriced. Now the players are at or under $200 and most titles available in HD are now available in Blu Ray with mostly DTS Master audio.
post #22 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H View Post

HD? or HD DVD? Be specific with topic titles, see my edit.

Did you edited the first sentence in the post too? "Do you think this is a good time to get out of HD DVD?" If so, thanks. However, the content clearly is HD DVD and is posted in the HD DVD Player section so I guess I don't understand the need to edit.
post #23 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 05:59 PM
AVS Club Gold

You won't decide, player support will.

"The purpose of diplomacy is to prolong a crisis." Spock, Mark of Gideon, TOS
post #24 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davinleeds View Post

You won't decide, player support will.

Good point but I don't know that I want to wait for that time. That is why I was trying to get a feel from the input from other to help make a decision. The bummer is the price of of movies is falling off so fast that I would be giving away the movies to get rid of them. It is a tough decision.
post #25 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 08:49 PM

With all of the cheap sales going on at Amazon and Kroger, you're better off waiting for all of the stock to dry up then sell.

For those getting in now - these prices are awesome.
post #26 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmup-o View Post

With all of the cheap sales going on at Amazon and Kroger, you're better off waiting for all of the stock to dry up then sell.

For those getting in now - these prices are awesome.

You know that is an excellent point. I guess it is possible for prices to rise a little once all the cheap's are clearanced. I really prefer HD DVD and believed it to be the superior format. I hated that it lost out to Sony because I've never been a Sony fan.

Thanks for giving me another point of view to consider. This is what I wanted to hear when I posted this question. I will give much more thought to hanging on to them and see what happens since it really can't hurt.

This is the bullish attitude that finds opportunity in the midst of apparent loss.
post #27 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

You know that is an excellent point. I guess it is possible for prices to rise a little once all the cheap's are clearanced. I really prefer HD DVD and believed it to be the superior format. I hated that it lost out to Sony because I've never been a Sony fan.

Thanks for giving me another point of view to consider. This is what I wanted to hear when I posted this question. I will give much more thought to hanging on to them and see what happens since it really can't hurt.

This is the bullish attitude that finds opportunity in the midst of apparent loss.

Technically, it lost to Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung etc... etc... and all the other player in the BDA.

Maybe Toshiba should have made sure to have allies on its side before starting this costly venture.

But hey, this isn't the first dead end product that I buy and enjoys. I'll still watch the few HD-DVD until my A2 kick the bucket but I sure ain't gonna spend another dime on it.
post #28 of 81 Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustvid View Post

Do you think this is a good time to get out of HD DVD? I am considering selling my Toshiba HD A35 and A3 and 70 something movies. A35's are selling for more than twice what I paid. Movies seem to be flattening out. I have a BR (Panny 35) player and I still don't think the picture is as good as HD but I sure do like DTS MA sound. Most of the HD movies are 5.1+ and most of these movies are now available in BR.

I don't think I will buy as many BR movies since I can't get them for $10.00 and under like I have my HD movies. This way I could pickup maybe 10 BR when on sale/used I really want out of all the HD titles and pocket some serious cash. I just think we've reached the peak on player value as the movies seem to be going for 3-5 a movie now.

What do you think?

This question simply reminds me of those frequent Hollywood films we see where the bank robbers have a stacks, and giant piles of cash in a vault celibrating..While the cops, swat, FBI, and a bunch of other government agency are just waiting out side...

just enjoy the cash, and the other shinny objects in side those boxes..

Djoel
post #29 of 81 Old 02-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I feel your pain and I think it's a worthy question.

As a consumer it's all about support and the fact is HD DVD doesn't have any support anymore. To stay in it's all the more important to have a backup player to watch the titles you want in case your player ever dies since they aren't making them anymore.

Then if you are a fan of lossless audio and the HD DVD titles you have are now on BD in lossless audio, personally I can see the reason for the upgrade. I did the very same with Bourne and U-571 and the audio upgrade is worth it for me.

For me those are strong considerations as to wheter to keep the HD DVD's you have.

What keeps me in is that I enjoy the HD DVD discs that I have and though i've sold/traded off a number of HD DVD's, of the one's i've kept, I feel as if those versions are superior over what is on the BD equivalent (e.g. Dreamgirls, Training Day, Phantom of the Opera, Shooter) so i'm loathed to give those titles up. Also many of the titles that are on BD will not see a tangible improvement over their HD DVD brethern, particularily those Paramount, Warner titles that share both formats. I'm sure when Universal starts to release on BD those previously released HD DVD titles, many won't see a quality upgrade (outside of lossless audio and that may only be noticable on certain titles).

Price can't be overlooked and with so many titles being discounted and so many selling off their collections, you can get great deals and build up a relatively inexpensive movie library quickly.

I think for now i'm likely to stay in and though I have the BH 200 combo, I think I may down the road try to purchase an hd-a35 that would meet my needs and then upgrade my BD player when necessary.
post #30 of 81 Old 02-14-2009, 07:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have an A30 and I'm not getting out of HD-DVD. Not buying a bunch of HD-DVD's unless its one that is probably not coming on on blu-ray and its cheap. Or its a throw away kind of movie and its a few bucks at Fry's Electronics. However I play all sd-dvd through the A30. Saves useage hours off my blu-ray player and its pretty good upconversions/upscaling.

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page