A20 will not play HD discs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2009, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey guys, my A20 will not longer play HD DVD's, it will just sit there with "loading" flashing on the front panel. It plays normal DVD's just fine. I'm assuming there is something wrong with the HD laser, can anyone else confirm if I'm just missing something?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack S View Post

Hey guys, my A20 will not longer play HD DVD's, it will just sit there with "loading" flashing on the front panel. It plays normal DVD's just fine. I'm assuming there is something wrong with the HD laser, can anyone else confirm if I'm just missing something?

Thanks in advance

Best I can offer is to unplug the unit for a few minutes, go to the setup screen, choose initialize under maintenance, try 1080i/1080p settings and see what happens. Worth a shot anyway.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter

I reinitialized, no luck. I then rolled the firmware back to 2.7, and then up to 3.0 (I was at 4.0), and I get an error message of "This is not a DVD disc". It's like the unit isn't even looking for HD-DVD. What could my problem be? Where can I get replacement parts?
Old 03-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
It seems that the A20 is the player most likely to have this problem, judging by posts and ebay non-functional sales. I did replace the drive from another A20 and it worked, so your best bet would be to snag a non-working A2 or A20 cheap off ebay, where the drive still works (for example the problem could be no audio or it freezes on the welcome screen), and swap drives.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 51
As an A20 owner myself how do you know it is a drive problem vs. a firmware or some other electronic malady? Inquiring minds want to know. Purely for future information (now knocking on wood) should something similar happen to my beloved A20.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTROSE View Post

As an A20 owner myself how do you know it is a drive problem vs. a firmware or some other electronic malady? Inquiring minds want to know. Purely for future information (now knocking on wood) should something similar happen to my beloved A20.

Regards,

RTROSE

Pretty much a "firmware problem" is when it gets stuck on the welcome screen. Firmware has also been known to cause jaggies in 1080p. I believe I heard of one that helped with the audio codecs.

If a drive stops reading discs, I can almost certainly say that it is a drive failure.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:

Regards,

RTROSE

I have 3 A20s, one of which will only play DVD. I took the drive from it and swapped it with one of the other players. The problem remained with the drive as the 'good' player stopped reading HD DVDs. Meanwhile the bad player could now read HD DVDs. At least that's what happened in my case.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Regards,

RTROSE

That is exactly why I tried to roll the firmware back, and update to a different version than what I was running, no dice. So it looks like I will be searching for a broken player...anyone want to sell me one on the cheap