Running HD-DVD on powerful Computer - A few ?s - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-03-2009, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I hope this is the right forum for this -
I just picked up an LG GGC-H20L combo bluray/hd-dvd drive for my computer, and about 180 HD-DVDS (my entire dvd collection got stolen, so I figured if Im rebuilding why not). System is a Quad Core Intel Q9400 running at 3.42, 4gb of DDR1066 RAM, and an ATI HD4830 512mb video card - so more than capable of running HD-DVD very smoothly. I am using PowerDVD 7.3, which runs HD-DVD well.

A few questions. First, I run my video to a 24" LCD and a 720P 50" DLP. Neither is HDCP compliant, so I have to use Anydvd to play them. Is there any performance hit to running Anydvd?

Most important question is about audio, however. I was temporarily running my audio through standard minijack to a bookshelf system, and the audio was very skippy/inconsistent. My video card has HD audio through HDMI, so I'm running that to my tv, which works great but I wont want to do this forever. My motherboard has Dolby Digital Home Theater out (high end Gigabyte UD-3P motherboard), with optical out, which I would like to hook up to a high end home theater system. Will HD-DVD work with this, or am I stuck needing to use HDMI out through my video card? I know this isnt as good as the motherboard's optical out and processing.

Finally, in general, are there any general tips to maximize performance through the pc - drivers, addons, software, etc?

Any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-04-2009, 03:09 AM

Liked: 13
Couple pointers to get your started:

1) This post probably belongs in the home theatre pc forums.

2) You get no performance hit running anydvd.

3) One big downfall is you'll always get a nice skip when you hit a layer break playing hd-dvd via powerdvd and tmt.

4) Your ati hdmi out will be better than the optical/coxial digital outputs on your onboard soundcard. So best stick with that to get lpcm or DD/DTS bitstream accordingly...especially since you mentioned a high end home theatre of which hdmi should be more or less synonymous with in today's day of age.

5) Best tip I can give you is probably stick with powerdvd 7.3 (latest build probably works well unless they decided to break more things). Powerdvd 8 you need to use a hack to get hd-dvd working....and that is slowly coming to an end with the latest patches and powerdvd 9......and TMT has loads of issues with proper sound mapping.

Otherwise, I'd say you read a lot of threads in the home theatre section to get the htpc figured out.....you're in for quite a ride.
post #3 of 3 Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Appreciate your reply; I know my questions were kind of broad and convoluted.

I am brand new to this forum (not just the hd-dvd section), so expect to be learning a lot from the htpc subforums. Only reason I asked on here for these is I've run into unique problems only with HD-DVD playback and software.

For the audio, I've seen friends pc's with the same Gigabyte Motherboard (arguably the best p45 board out) with high end stereos through the component out, and the results are phenomenal. I just don't think my ATI integrated hdmi sound processor can compare, or run my entire home theater off of. I guess I could switch audio outputs to hdmi for hd-dvd.

Any other info on this skipping (other than hdmi 7.1) that you guys can give?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page