Toshiba HD-A3 Issue: Doesn't play any HD-DVDs, only plays DVDs. :( - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 03-12-2009, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is the message I get in a purple dialog box, written exactly as seem below:
Quote:

This disc is not DVD format.
Cannot play the disc.

I have tried a bunch of DVDs that I've burned, and they all work fine.

I've tried at least 4 or 5 different HD-DVDs, and none work. 3 of those HD-DVDs, I know have worked before on this player!!

Obviously, the one year warranty is up. I bought the thing November of 2007 from Amazon.

Is there no hope? I did the firmware upgrade via the ethernet after I noticed these problems, and that never fixed the issue.
I hear the HD-DVD disc spin up for about 3-4 seconds, then stop, then start again. I know the player is TRYING to read, but b/c it's a piece of junk it can't.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 03-12-2009, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like a drive problem. Possibly the laser needs cleaning, no doubt it's more difficult to read HD than regular DVD. Or the pickup could have lost its alignment. There's another thread or two here about this problem where the drive was successfully replaced with one from a bricked player stuck on the welcome message.

To do that you'd have to pick up a defective player real cheap since working A3s are pretty reasonable anyway. It makes more sense to replace the drive if you have an otherwise functioning XA2 or A35 since they're worth more.

2008 Samsung HLxxA650/Series 6 DLP Thread/FAQ
HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #3 of 3 Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

Sounds like a drive problem. Possibly the laser needs cleaning, no doubt it's more difficult to read HD than regular DVD. Or the pickup could have lost its alignment. There's another thread or two here about this problem where the drive was successfully replaced with one from a bricked player stuck on the welcome message.

To do that you'd have to pick up a defective player real cheap since working A3s are pretty reasonable anyway. It makes more sense to replace the drive if you have an otherwise functioning XA2 or A35 since they're worth more.

Thanks for the info, bud.

It seems like I'm S.O.L.

I watched LESS THAN 10 HD-DVDs on this thing... I probably only watched 4-5 to be quite honest.

This player was the biggest waste of money, other than losing $$ in Atlantic City a couple of weeks ago.

I even tried another update today, but it says I'm already updated... shows up as 4.0/2.0... whatever that slash means.

And I tried setting the "Twin Format Disc" setting to DVD, rebooting, and then tried setting to HD-DVD... dunno why I tried that, but desperation may have been the reason.

I think I'll just sell the player the way it is, and fund it to buy me an HD-DVD/Blu-Ray combo drive for my HTPC.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page