Is my HD-A35 dying? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 03-18-2009, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK I'll do my best to explain this and it might get it bit long... Here's the setup running through HDMI:
HD-A35 --> Monoprice 4 port HDMI switch --> Onkyo TX-SR605 --> Samsung HL67A750

I have a PS3 and 360 that run HDMI just like the HD-A35 through the same hardware with zero issues. I've also got a PC using the audio/VGA TV connection, and a cable box using HDMI directly to the TV (video to TV, audio to Onkyo) with no issues. Also a Nintendo Wii running component/audio through the Onkyo to TV with no issues.

About two weeks ago I was watching a regular DVD through the HD-A35 when the picture would cut out for a second or two (the audio was fine) then come back. The TV acted like there was a split second source change were it would go black, then show the image with the "new" resolution and hz. Then it did it again, this time with both audio and video cutting out. Then I noticed randomly that the audio would cut for a split second randomly a few times, then the video again... etc, etc.

I power cycled all the devices and it seemd OK for the rest of that DVD. The next day I tried watching something else and it started again. This time I power cycled everything one at a time to see if I could figure out the problem area... when I did the Onkyo it was fixed again. Until the next day... this time I tired the Onkyo first but the problem still happened. So I started other devices again but this time nothing worked.

I then tried a new HDMI cable and it was fixed again... until the next day... and the same issues started again... this time it was fixed with just power cycling the TV.

At this point I think I had firmware 2.0 on my HD-A35... so I did an internet firmware update two days ago (so I assume I got v4.0 now) to see if that would help... didn't help a thing. I'm also running the newest available firmware for my TV so there's nothing I can try there.

Today when I was looking more close at the picture I was getting I found random white pixles poping up all over the TV screen (I call them sparkles)... I see this same thing sometimes on my PS3 after it switches resolutions, but that goes away on it's own.

At this point I haven't tested an HD-DVD disc and have only been trying to play regular DVDs... I guess it's also possible I simply have two bad HDMI cables... or maybe the specific port on my switch box is having issues???

This seems like an HDCP handshake issue.... but I'm not sure why it would start out of the blue after months of being fine.

Any thoughts or suggestions??

I do have an HD-A2, but of course that doesn't output 1080p so I'm a bit worried about my HD-A35 dying as I'm unsure where I could get a replacement (I haven't priced the bay yet)

(sorry about any spelling or grammar issues... I'm a bit tired)

TK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-18-2009, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Take your A-35 out of 1080p mode and see if this solves the problem. I have issues with 1080p output on my A-35 but is runs perfectly with 1080i. The PQ will be the same on a 1080p set.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-18-2009, 11:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
We're all dying.

post #4 of 14 Old 03-18-2009, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamian View Post

We're all dying.

Tru Dat!!!

Regards,

RTROSE

Sorry I couldn't resist!

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-18-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter

True... we're all dying... but my electronics should out last me.

Anyway... when I get home I'll try the 1080i trick and see if that helps.

Any reason this would have started after nearly a year of no issues at 1080p???

TK
post #6 of 14 Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Might be a long shot, but I noticed my A30 doing almost like what you explained. I have extra players so I took it out and plugged in a new one. I brought the A30 downstairs and hooked it up. Weeks went by, NO problems, Moved it back upstairs and within a couple of days, same problem. I have my components in an open cabinet, my A30 sits on a shelf directly above my 606 Onkyo. There is at least 3 inches and a shelf between them, but the shelf was still very warm to the touch. So, I cut 2 1x3/4 inch pieces of wood the length of the player and set the player on them. 2 months later and I've not experienced that problem again. It just got too warm. Hope something that simple may be your problem too.

Vikings sucked! Gophers BBall sucked! Packers always suck regardless! Lets Go Twins, you're my last chance!!
post #7 of 14 Old 03-20-2009, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll try that as well... I do have an open cabinet, but I could see how it might get too warm. Unfortunatly, since Blu is going strong the PS3 had to take the center stage from the HD-A35 so I placed a HDD recorder and then my cablebox on top of the HD-A35.

I'll pull it out and let it be on top of my cab for a while and see if that stops the issues. I haven't tried the 1080i trick yet or any HD-DVDs yet... just been busy.

...but I'm still taking notes.

TK
post #8 of 14 Old 03-20-2009, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
You buy a product for a specific reason and the main feature is broken sheesh! I was almost going to waste my money on an A30 a couple of weeks back. As I was pondering the thought that I already own a couple of add ons, a dual player a brand new boxed XA2 (loaded 2.7 tested for shut down bug for 3hrs passed) an A3 two media PC's one with an LG dual burner the other a P4 media box with a Pioneer Blu and an Add on for HD DVD's.

The A3 was never an issue and I already have it hooked up to my Pioneer VSX-03 using the component and up converting to 1080p. There are two advantages of doing this with the A3.
1) Turns it into an A30 but with no 1080p issues (Farudja has priority)
2) It doesn't down convert the SD DVD playback using compnent the Pio up converts SD/HD into 1080p because the A3 is set to 480p so the pio can convert the signal.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

I think I'm too high... no wait... not high enough to read that post. Did you post in the right thread?

The best I can figure is that you're suggesting that I do a setup like yours??

TK
post #10 of 14 Old 03-23-2009, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Well... so far I've only put the player into 1080i mode only and have made it through a few movies with no issues. Maybe I'll try straight 1080p next vs the 1080p/24 I was on. Are there any known issues with 1080p/24 with the HD-A35? When I think back I think I was only on 1080p before, but when I got my new TV I switched it to 1080p/24 and I don't think I've really watched any movies since then. hmmm....

So anyway, what would cause my 1080p to be so messed up on an HD-A35? None of my hardware has changed from when the 1080p was working fine. Also, my PS3 runs through the same hardware and 1080p/24 and straight 1080p are still running fine there.

If it's the HD-DVD player... can it be fixed?... and if it's just a handshake issue with HDCP, why would it crop up now?... and are there any ideas on how to fix that as well??

thanks.

TK
post #11 of 14 Old 03-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

True... we're all dying... but my electronics should out last me.

Anyway... when I get home I'll try the 1080i trick and see if that helps.

Any reason this would have started after nearly a year of no issues at 1080p??? [IMG]http://www.***************/img/io/iy.gif[/IMG]

You made a wrong purchase, you could have gotten an better immortal player, but seriously they won't outlast you, because just like humans even electronics can have accident.
post #12 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbxtechguru View Post

You made a wrong purchase, you could have gotten an better immortal player, but seriously they won't outlast you, because just like humans even electronics can have accident.

Ok then... what you would call a "better immortal player" and why do you think this is a "wrong purchase"? I smell a blu-ray mole... or is it rat?

I only paid $75 for my HD-A35 new in box so I still think it's a great deal even if I can only run at 1080i from here on out... also, I do own a launch 60GB PS3 so before you bash me for being fully red... I enjoy my Blu discs as well.

At any rate I'm not sure it's the player at this point... everything I've seen suggests an issue with HDCP or bad signal strength. When I have the time I'll be connecting the player directly to my TV and use 1080p and see what happens... I'll also be testing this player on my other 1080p LCD TV to see if any issues happen there as well.

...by removing some points of failure such as my Onkyo and HDMI switch box as well as other HDMI cables and switching TVs I'll be able to better get an idea of where the problem really is.

EDIT, with all this talk I forgot that I had the exact same issue with my PS3 on my first HDMI switch box... after doing a swap out for another HDMI switch box those issues were gone... since I don't think these switch boxes are made very well... I'm starting to think that's were the issue is. Good thing those are cheap.... I'll order another one and see what happens.

TK
post #13 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknomedic View Post

Ok then... what you would call a "better immortal player" and why do you think this is a "wrong purchase"? I smell a blu-ray mole... or is it rat?

I only paid $75 for my HD-A35 new in box so I still think it's a great deal even if I can only run at 1080i from here on out... also, I do own a launch 60GB PS3 so before you bash me for being fully red... I enjoy my Blu discs as well.

At any rate I'm not sure it's the player at this point... everything I've seen suggests an issue with HDCP or bad signal strength. When I have the time I'll be connecting the player directly to my TV and use 1080p and see what happens... I'll also be testing this player on my other 1080p LCD TV to see if any issues happen there as well.

...by removing some points of failure such as my Onkyo and HDMI switch box as well as other HDMI cables and switching TVs I'll be able to better get an idea of where the problem really is.

EDIT, with all this talk I forgot that I had the exact same issue with my PS3 on my first HDMI switch box... after doing a swap out for another HDMI switch box those issues were gone... since I don't think these switch boxes are made very well... I'm starting to think that's were the issue is. Good thing those are cheap.... I'll order another one and see what happens.

That's what I was going to suggest, a new switcher. You could always try the 35 on another tv and try to duplicate the issue. That way at least you could rule out problems with the 35.
Oppo has a great switcher, a little more expensive, but I've been happy with it.
post #14 of 14 Old 03-26-2009, 03:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mescalito View Post

That's what I was going to suggest, a new switcher. You could always try the 35 on another tv and try to duplicate the issue. That way at least you could rule out problems with the 35.
Oppo has a great switcher, a little more expensive, but I've been happy with it.

I haven't heard of the Oppo brand before... are you talking "Oppo Digital"? That's what I found when I used google. I see they have a 3 port HDMI switch but I need a 4 port, if that's the correct company do they make a 4 port HDMI switch?

TK
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page