post #31 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

......I have been helpful to the OP but he's hard to read. He needs to do his homework, set his budget and decide what works for him. ....

And I believe that is what he is doing here. Doing his homework.... Just a bit late for class is all. No crime in that.

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

I can't believe this thread is still going. I appreciate the helpful insights to all this. I had no idea there was an HD/BLU-RAY war that went on. I just barely started upgrading my home theatre equipment that I bought 9 years ago- so this is all news to me.

After talking to the wife, and looking at this from a financial perspective... I just can't rationalize dropping $250-$500 on a BLU-RAY player, when most the movies still out now are on SD or HD. We went to Target last night- and I eased on over to the electronics dept... found an HD Player, that upconverts Sd to 1080p for $42. I'm sure it's not the greatest in the pack, but man, that would work for now. When the time comes, and prices have dropped significantly on BLU-RAY, and most movies out our in that format, then I'll jump in and grab one. I can just move this $50 HD DVD to my bedroom or whatever.

I am choosing to ignore the flame calling jerks in this forum. It's uncalled for, and immature. I can't believe people have nothing going in their lives than to police the forums, and attempt to boost their own egos by being a self-nominated forum nazi. They're soo cool. It impresses me, really.

Again- thanks for the input. Now that I know which direction I'm going, I'd appreciate any feedback on HD DVD suggestions for under $50...
post #33 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
If you're serious about wanting to learn, read this; A Primer on DVD in a High-Def world; or How Much is that Scaler in the Window?

That $50 player is not HD. At least you got Blu-Ray down now :lol:

post #34 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

It says it's HD... why would it not be? Says it upconverts to 1080p as well. Any input?
post #35 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 AM

HD is NOT upconverted. HD is it's native resolution. (1080i or 1080p source) What everybody has been trying to tell you is if you had picked up a hd-dvd player on eBay for around $50 you would have had a great player to upconvert sd-dvds and you'd have had the ability, if you picked up some hd-dvds, to see what high definition is about.

I'm not going to say here what I was tempted to add about your resistance to the educational process...
post #36 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I'm not following here. If it SAYS it's an HD-Player... isn't that BETTER than a SD player? Won't the picture look better? Won't it upconvert the SD DVD to 1080p like it says it will? Or is Target & RCA just selling fraudulent products? I don't need all the technical differences... I just want to know if it says HD on the box, and upconverts SD to 1080p- isn't that what it's going to do? Or no?
post #37 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
azspecter:

What's happening with the player you purchased is that it is starting with the standard resolution DVD and outputting HD format. However, it is still limited by the original input resolution. As a result, a DVD upscaled to HD resolutions will never look quite as good as a true Blu-ray or HD DVD disc that starts with true HD content. The results may look better than a standard DVD player, however (depending on how well the player "simulates" the resolution), and the quality can be very satisfactory.

Honestly, I do think that Target and RCA ARE selling fraudulent products when they imply that upscaling will be just as good as Blu-ray or HD DVD. But it's a very fine line that they don't quite cross over. Nonetheless, the player IS outputting HD resolutions from DVD, just not full HD image quality. Plus, you don't get the improved sound formats that Blu-ray (and the late, lamented HD DVD) also offer.

But, if you like the look of the new player and it adds to your enjoyment of your new plasma TV without breaking the bank, just enjoy it and wait until Blu-ray players drop in price. (Although I have two HD DVD players; many, many discs; and still prefer it to Blu-ray, I can't recommend buying into HD DVD a full year after the "war" has ended.)

Know that when you get a true, HD resolution Blu-ray player with Blu-ray discs, your plasma will look better still and it will feel like you purchased a new TV all over again.
post #38 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Gotcha. Just so I'm clear- IF I got this HD player... AND rented an HD movie (I assume Block Buster has some on the shelves), it'll still look better than my SD Player and SD Movie, correct?
post #39 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

IF I got this HD player... AND rented an HD movie (I assume Block Buster has some on the shelves), it'll still look better than my SD Player and SD Movie, correct?

Nope, they've gotcha there, too. That RCA upscaling HD player will play ONLY standard DVDs. It will not play either HD DVD or Blu-ray discs. To play Blu-ray discs, you need to purchase a Blu-ray player. (Same for HD DVD. It requires an HD DVD player.)

A Blu-ray player, however, will play BOTH Blu-ray AND standard DVDs.

(FWIW, I think the whole consumer electronics industry has made a terrible mess of the conversion to HD. As you've found, it's damned confusing.)
post #40 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

WOW. REALLY? So they can mark 'HD DVD' on the box, but it doesn't PLAY HD DVDs? How can they do that?

What happens if I were to put an HD DVD in the player? What's teh results of it?
post #41 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM
Advanced Member

Yeah, they can. But they're putting HD (high definition) and DVD (Digital Versatile Disc) on the box as separate abbreviations. They're not putting HD DVD (unless you've chanced upon an old HD DVD player, which is pretty unlikely.)

If the HD DVD logo isn't on the box:

then it isn't an HD DVD player. As I said, they're ALMOST fraudulent, but not quite.

If you put an HD DVD into a standard DVD player, it won't recognize it as a playable disc.
post #42 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
Advanced Member

AZ, it pretty much boils down to this:
You can get an upconverting DVD player for about $50-100 that can make standard (SD) DVDs look better if you are using an HDMI interface to a good HDTV. This type of player cannot play HiDef discs, BD or HD DVD. Doing this is a reasonable, economical choice but try to rent DVDs, don't buy them because not too far down the road you'll likely want to replace them with some kind of HD format.

Or... buy a true HD DVD player (that has the logo boblinds kindly provided above) for about the same money as a good SD player and get excellent upconversion (certainly better than the unit in Target) of standard DVDs plus true 1080p HiDef from cheap HD DVD discs you buy online for about $5 each. The down side is you take a chance buying a used HD DVD player so check the feedback of the seller and his return policy if on eBay. And you have to pick from existing HD DVD discs for sale, no new ones are being offered. When your player dies down the road, those discs won't play in any other type of player unless you buy just combo discs which have DVD on one side and HD DVD on the other. You could at least still play the DVD side in a DVD player or even a BD player.

Or buy BD. This is an excellent solution but as you've discovered costs more.

Oh, if you buy an HDMI cable try monoprice, don't pay $75 at a retail store.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #43 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent advice, I appreciate it. THank you.

Yes, I have already bought 5 HDMI Cables from monoprice ($23!!!). They work perfectly... just wish they sold Blu-Ray Players that way too!

Thanks again...
post #44 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Advanced Member

You'll probably see $100 BD players by Black Friday... Blu-ray has to become more competitive to win the war against SD DVD. As I remember, 2rd tier models got down to $150 or so last year.

BTW, I never said you were a troll but I suspected and I'm sure others did too. Few of us here are jerks but it gets real old having Blu trolls coming in and sticking forks in the carcass. If you do happen to go with an HD DVD player and hang around here you'll see what I mean. Sorry it got off on the wrong foot but eventually you got the info you wanted to make a decision and that's what really matters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #45 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
DVD player --- plays DVD'S only 480i authored can be upconverted to 1080p

HD-DVD player --- plays DVD's and HD-DVD's no Blu-rays. Will upconvert DVD's to 1080p and play HD-DVD's authored at 1080p

Blu-ray player --- plays DVD's and Blu-ray's no HD-DVD's. Will upconvert DVD's to 1080p and play Blu-ray's authored at 1080p

I hope this helps you in this confusing HD world. I know the above has been explained but maybe seeing it this way might help you to wrap your mind around it.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #46 of 49 Old 04-01-2009, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by azspecter View Post

Excellent advice, I appreciate it. THank you.

Yes, I have already bought 5 HDMI Cables from monoprice ($23!!!). They work perfectly... just wish they sold Blu-Ray Players that way too!

Thanks again...

Well you may have botched your first attempt at deciphering the HD material war or fiasco, but at least your educated enough and did some research and got your cables from a forum sponsor and at great prices to boot!

Congrats on that!

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #47 of 49 Old 04-02-2009, 03:00 AM
Advanced Member

The real world please. You do zero research and want to be spoonfed the most basic of information. Then you throw names around like "Nazi's".

YOU are the one who needs to grow up and act mature. YOU are the one who is acting like a "jerk" and "calling names," and YOU are the one attempting to boost YOUR ego because you can't take criticism of your own self.

I can't believe you have the nerve to act so holier than though about your complete lack of even doing the most simplest search on google to even know what an HD DVD player is.

Look in the mirror when you call people out for "their attitude."
post #48 of 49 Old 04-02-2009, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks sonydude! I appreciate your input!
post #49 of 49 Old 04-02-2009, 09:02 AM

Beginning to understand why my third grade teacher used to emerge from the "teachers' lounge" smelling a bit like uncle Edgar, who was known to tipple occasionally...
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page