Time to Upgrade? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys-
I recently got an HD Plasma 1080p TV and a new Onkyo receiver. We rented a movie last night, played it on my standard DVD- man, what a let down! While we don't use DVD THAT often, it got me thinking... is it time to upgrade the DVD player?

I know Blue-Ray is pretty expensive still. I've heard there's a new type or something coming out soon, and that will drive prices down quite a bit on Blue-Ray. However- how different is HD Dvd players from Blue-Ray?

Also- Is it better to get a Blue Ray over an HD Dvd? In the movie store last night- there's not too many titles available on Blue-Ray. Are there THAT MANY on HD available? Is it worth upgrading now, or is it better to wait a bit for prices to come back down?

Can anyone suggest a decent HD DVD player I can look at and price?

I appreciate all the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Not trying be sarcastic but you are aware HD DVD format is dead? Bluray is the only HD software supplier now. Are you looking for a good 1080P up convert DVD player or a mainsteam HD DVD player for future DVD's released in the HD format?

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #3 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

NO! I didn't know that! Man, I feel like an idiot! So what's out there now- just BLUERAY and that's it?

What's the difference between the 2 you mentioned?
post #4 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azspecter View Post

NO! I didn't know that! Man, I feel like an idiot! So what's out there now- just BLUERAY and that's it?

What's the difference between the 2 you mentioned?

Troll alert!

HD DVD 354ish
Blu Ray 375ish
360 Halo Reach Slim,360 Elite 120GB, MW2 250GB, Halo 3 20GB, RE5 120GB, PS3 Fat 320GB, PS3 Slim 250GB, Wii
HD DVD & Blu Ray players, too many
Money Spent.... Priceless
post #5 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey- that's not nice... I'm not a troll, just trying to figure out a decent DVD player to buy...
post #6 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Just buy a Blu-ray player. Case closed.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #7 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter

ok- I'll go post in that forum. I was just hoping to not spend $400 on a new DVD player...
post #8 of 49 Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

You can get one for half that. But do your homework before buying anything - unless you're a troll.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

HD DVDs: 235
BD: 20
DVD: Too Many!

Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #9 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 01:50 PM

Wow! Pretty harsh.

Could have explained that good hd-dvd players are available for ~$50 on the bay and that they will make his current dvd collectio look FAR better while he waits to see what the format of the future is. Could have mentioned that hd-dvds are now in some sort of crazy close-out in many places(I've purchased 125 or so in the past 5 weeks for an average of $5 ea. w/shipping.)

But that might have required some civility...
post #10 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

scdaf- THANK YOU! Yes, I'm CLUELESS to this stuff. I thought there was HD AND BlueRay. So is BlueRay NOT 'The Standard' now? Is there a chance that I'd spend $400 on a BlueRay DVD, only to have it become obsolete when the new standard comes out next month? I just know I have a new 50" Panny 1080p, a new Onkyo Receiver- and my 9yr old dvd player makes movies look like crap! I want to enjoy my new toys, but get the best bang for the buck. What do you suggest here?
post #11 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

scdaf- THANK YOU! Yes, I'm CLUELESS to this stuff. I thought there was HD AND BlueRay. So is BlueRay NOT 'The Standard' now? Is there a chance that I'd spend $400 on a BlueRay DVD, only to have it become obsolete when the new standard comes out next month? I just know I have a new 50" Panny 1080p, a new Onkyo Receiver- and my 9yr old dvd player makes movies look like crap! I want to enjoy my new toys, but get the best bang for the buck. What do you suggest here?

My suggestion: Look for a Toshiba HD-A30 in good condition on Ebay. They go for $50 to $100, often with a bunch of HD discs thrown in. The A30 supports 1080p. Then go to amazon.com (traderbora storefront) and buy lots of HD DVD's for $5 each with free shipping. Keep the receipts so your spouse or significant other will believe you when you say how little they cost. You and your plasma will be happy as a clam. The A30 makes even standard DVD's look very good. Mostly, have fun.
post #12 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by webphilosopher View Post

My suggestion: Look for a Toshiba HD-A30 in good condition on Ebay. They go for $50 to $100, often with a bunch of HD discs thrown in. The A30 supports 1080p. Then go to amazon.com (traderbora storefront) and buy lots of HD DVD's for $5 each with free shipping. Keep the receipts so your spouse or significant other will believe you when you say how little they cost. You and your plasma will be happy as a clam. The A30 makes even standard DVD's look very good. Mostly, have fun.

+1

I think you could even try for the A35 then you would have the second best HD-DVD player just behind the XA2 and the Onkyo clone.

You'll have to forgive some of us. It is sometimes hard to believe with all the info out there that some in the general public still aren't aware of how the HD format "war" went.

Welcome to HD-DVD, it may be dead but there are tremendous deals to be had and once you are an educated consumer you can get the best of High Def material at bargain prices.

Regards,

RTROSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #13 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

First off- thanks for the help guys!

Second- What's the deal then- did BlueRay win the 'battle'? I see very few BR titles in the movie store- so are they not producing many BR movies now? Is there something better on the horizon? Is it best to not buy EITHER and just wait for the new platfor, (if there is one?)
post #14 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

There is plenty of BD media out there, more out every week and no competition in sight. While I still use my A2 and haven't crossed into the BD world I would recommend that anyone who is interested in watching High Definition DVDs on their HDTV go Blu Ray and not Toshiba.

If it isn't 720p or 1080i/p it isn't HD. If it is 720p or 1080i/p it may not be HD content.
post #15 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Second- What's the deal then- did BlueRay win the 'battle'? I see very few BR titles in the movie store- so are they not producing many BR movies now? Is there something better on the horizon? Is it best to not buy EITHER and just wait for the new platfor, (if there is one?)

AZ, the reason some of us suspect you as a troll is you act like someone pulling our chain. Nothing at all wrong with BD but lots of their ranks love to come in here and gloat. (Yes, BD won the war against HD DVD but is losing badly to DVD.) So it makes it hard to tell between someone like that and someone who needs to do more homework.

Anyway, giving you the benefit of the doubt, you really need to read up on the red blue wars and decide which way you want to go. If you are happy with the amazing prices of HD DVD and can live with the fact that no new titles will be produced for the format then HD DVD is a fantastic choice. Don't know why you say there are few Blu discs in stores, you should find lots!

post #16 of 49 Old 03-29-2009, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:

Not sure where you are looking, but there are tons Blu-Ray disks available.

Blu-ray not Blue Ray

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #17 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 01:50 AM
Advanced Member

Can't remember seeing someone so uninformed come here and post. Google is your friend.
post #18 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Man- you guys are harsh! I went to BlockBuster this last weekend- only had 2 racks fo Blue-Ray (happy with my spelling?). The rest, in the entire store, were not. Look at my previous posts on this forum- asking about my receiver and TV... I'm not lying, and frankly don't care if you think I am. Sorry- just irritated with forum-nazi's... it's a little ridiculous, IMO.

BTW- I thought coming on this forum, searching, and posting questions IS doing my research? Where else am I supposed to do that?

Now- when you say that BLUE-RAY is losing badly to DVD... I thought BLUE-RAY is a form of DVD. Do you mean that standard DVD's are beating the BLUE-RAY format? If so, then is it best to just stick with standard DVD for now (maybe get a cheap one that can upconvert to 1080p?)

I don't buy DVDs. I never watch them over and over- it's a waste of money to me. We SOMETIMES rent DVDs tho. But with the 2 racks out of THOUSANDS of titles available at BB, it seems hardly worth it to buy a $400+ player for it. Know what I mean?
post #19 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 38
azspecter, most people watch SD DVDs, not high def movies (either HD-DVD or BluRay). It was only about 2 years ago that DVD finally overtook VHS. Most people do not have HDTVs, and most people will not adopt high def DVDs for years to come. There is always a danger that some new technology will take over, but again, most people are very slow to adopt new technology. High def video on demand is the most likely to take over. There will be 3D movies, but there are competing formats (welcome to yet another format war).

Do yourself a favor and buy a BluRay player in order to enjoy movies now the way they are meant to be seen, in true high def. I have both an HD-DVD and BD player, but new movies will not be released in HD-DVD anymore, and HD-DVDs are increasingly hard to get (Netflix stopped stocking HD-DVDs, but do stock BDs, although at an increased monthly fee versus just SD DVDs). BD players have already come down in price dramatically. I own very few movies (a few HD-DVDs and a few BDs), but enjoy renting them all the time through Netflix.
post #20 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, and NetFlix was my plan as well. BillP- thanks for the help, I appreciate it. That's most likely what I'll do...
post #21 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

Now- when you say that BLUE-RAY is losing badly to DVD... I thought BLUE-RAY is a form of DVD. Do you mean that standard DVD's are beating the BLUE-RAY format? If so, then is it best to just stick with standard DVD for now (maybe get a cheap one that can upconvert to 1080p?)

The fact is, since HD DVD lost the format war, BD's revenue and market share have been greatly increasing against SD DVD. Sometimes the people in this part of the forum(HD DVD) don't tell you the whole story, since some of them are still very upset about BD's victory.

BD-A1010/CD-S1000/PF60
HTR-6290/A-S1000/KDL46V5100
NS-555/SOAVO-900C/NS-125F

BD - 242
HD - 7
post #22 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

HA! LOL... good to know! I'm still having a hard time paying $400 for a player tho. Jeez... for as little as we rent movies- it's hard to justify. Maybe we'll wait for prices to drop more.
post #23 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 06:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuenMuner View Post

The fact is, since HD DVD lost the format war, BD's revenue and market share have been greatly increasing against SD DVD. Sometimes the people in this part of the forum(HD DVD) don't tell you the whole story, since some of them are still very upset about BD's victory.

Actually many of us here like Blu-ray and want it to survive. If it does I certainly plan to go there in time, after all if nothing else we in the red and blu camps certainly can agree that we love HighDef! But the fact is since BD has a short window to succeed just like HD DVD did, we're cautioning the OP to do his homework before leaping in. Also, he still acts like a troll, could anyone go this long in his thread and still not know how to spell the format he plans to buy?

post #24 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quentin-
Seriously? You're a grown adult and you have to play these games? Go ahead, call me a TROLL. Fact is- everyone's spelled it differently...

BD
Blue Ray
BLUERAY
BLUE-RAY

OK, Mr. Perfect- what's the CORRECT WAY to spell it, so that I am NOT a troll? Jeez- you guys kill me. Getting all worked up over the SPELLING of something. Give me a break.

I appreciate those of you who have posted USEFUL information. I saw a [BD, Blue Ray, Blue-Ray, BLUERAY] player at CostCo today. It was a Sony, about $277. Said it upconverted standard DVDs to 1080p. Still pretty pricey, IMO, but better than $400...
I'm done with this forum. You immature forum-nazi's and go torment someone else...
post #25 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quentin-
Seriously? You're a grown adult and you have to play these games? Go ahead, call me a TROLL. Fact is- everyone's spelled it differently...

BD
Blue Ray
BLUERAY
BLUE-RAY

OK, Mr. Perfect- what's the CORRECT WAY to spell it, so that I am NOT a troll? Jeez- you guys kill me. Getting all worked up over the SPELLING of something. Give me a break.

I appreciate those of you who have posted USEFUL information. I saw a [BD, Blue Ray, Blue-Ray, BLUERAY] player at CostCo today. It was a Sony, about $277. Said it upconverted standard DVDs to 1080p. Still pretty pricey, IMO, but better than $400...
I'm done with this forum. You immature forum-nazi's and go torment someone else...

No need to leave. This is YOUR thread and you are learning so just take everything with a grain of salt and get some thicker skin and don't let a few here curtail your learning. There is much to learn and there are many here that have invaluable experience in all things in consumer electronics and beyond.

I am one who thinks that the "best" format did not win the "war" as I truly believe IMO that HD-DVD was and still is the superior format. However as my father in law says you have to play cards with the hand your dealt so we have to play nice with Blu too.

I have planned on purchasing a Blu-ray player in the near future do to the new releases only coming out on Blu or sd-dvd and I want to have a high def option for my home theater.

Unless things change I plan on buying the Pioneer playertalked about here in this thread .

I still think that HD-DVD is a good option if you educate yourself on your options and the availability of the movies you want.

There are a lot of movies on Amazon for five bucks and free shipping. I say if you can get a HD-DVD movie for five bucks and the same Blu-ray is 15 to 25 bucks I say it is a no brainer. Go HD-DVD, you just need to understand you are buying into a dead format. This is something I'm ok with you just need to decide if it fits into your plan.

If you are not a movie owner and do not plan on purchasing movies then I guess it is a moot point and your only option is to go Blu-ray since there is no one renting HD-DVD anymore.

Good luck and chin up it ain't so bad around here.

Regards,

RTROSE

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
post #26 of 49 Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 PM

So your priorities seem to be the following:
1. Price
2. Price
3. Format longevity

No problem, go to ebay, buy a used HD-DVD player. You'll probably get quite a few HD-DVDs to boot. Since you want a format that has the most media available to rent, and, I'm assuming, will look its best. I would go for a Toshiba HD-A35 or Toshiba HD-XA2, as they both upconvert the best for the lowest price, and you'll also get a taste for what HD media can do with the few HD-DVDs you'll get with the player. Those two players I mentioned will also play regular dvds, and make them look great. If you decide later that you want to go Blu you can move your great, yet inexpensive HD-DVD player to another tv, and will have lost nothing. You may find that you want to even purchase a few HD-DVDs, and you can still do that for about the cost of renting, just know that the selection will be limited.
Read more in the HD-DVD and BluRay forum for deals, available titles, where to get them, and upcoming releases for BluRay. Don't forget to use the HDMI cable from your player to the receiver and then another HDMI from your receiver to the display to get the best audio and video. Buy those cables from a forum sponsor, you can find the links at the top of the forum page. The HDMI cables from them are of the same, or better, quality than Monster cables, and much less expensive.
Enjoy your journey.
post #27 of 49 Old 03-31-2009, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know why some people refer to the OP as a troll. He hasn't made one post in the Blu-ray section.
post #28 of 49 Old 03-31-2009, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

I have been helpful to the OP but he's hard to read. He needs to do his homework, set his budget and decide what works for him. From his posts I don't know which direction he should go. SD, HD or BD? Check them all out and see which works for you. To get opinions from both camps of course check out the Blu forums too.

HD DVD still is the least expensive route to go if you need 99.9% compatibility with DVD, excellent upconversion and an adequate supply of very cheap HD discs. It also allows you to wait on BD prices to come down more and a newer generation of players. That's the path many of us here are taking.

post #29 of 49 Old 03-31-2009, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin2 View Post

I have been helpful to the OP but he's hard to read. He needs to do his homework, set his budget and decide what works for him. From his posts I don't know which direction he should go. SD, HD or BD? Check them all out and see which works for you. To get opinions from both camps of course check out the Blu forums too.

HD DVD still is the least expensive route to go if you need 99.9% compatibility with DVD, excellent upconversion and an adequate supply of very cheap HD discs. It also allows you to wait on BD prices to come down more and a newer generation of players. That's the path many of us here are taking.

I agree with you that the OP needs to explore all his options I was just trying to be gentle due to his post count and the fact that my buddies at work are just as confused as the OP is and they are unsure of this whole HD thing regardless of red, blue or HD via OTA, cable, or satellite. I had to convince one of my acquaintances that he was not getting HD shows on his TV even though he said his TV was 1080p and that was what HD material was never mind his satellite was SD Dish. Story for another forum and a nuther day, but I feel his pain. We as a whole here on AVS especially those of us who have been here for a while have a much better grip on these things than the general public.

Regards,

RTROSE

post #30 of 49 Old 03-31-2009, 11:01 PM
Advanced Member

Well no doubt someone new to HiDef who does the footwork, reads the stickies and uses the search function in these forums can get up to speed pretty quick. I've certainly been amazed by the knowledgeable people here. You sure don't want to pull the trigger in HT until you've done the research.

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page