Toshiba HD-A30 Disc Scratching / Sync / Firmware problem ! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 04-06-2009, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello folkz,

I would like to appeal to you HD-folkz with the following problem...

I have a Toshiba HD-A30 HD-DVD player, which I really like, but lately it has been causing me a lot of worries... Here's why:

I've been experiencing a lot of trouble with playback, i.e. it seems I can NOT finish 1 movie without it hanging at least once. Sometimes yes, but often it freezes, or the DRIVE starts loading like repeatedly while nothing happens.
It sounds as if the laser comes to a halt and then starts all over again...?

A reset usually fixes this, but it keep happening, playback is otherwise pretty good actually...

What's worse, I wonder if it POSSIBLE that my PLAYER is actually SCRATCHING my discs... I always buy them "new & sealed" and I don't suppose disc come scratches when factory sealed (or could I be wrong here...???).

I thought maybe it was a firmware issue (downgraded form 4.0 to 1.3 with minor improvements), but last HD I played (last starfighter) went on a DE-SYNC-EXTRAVAGANZA again (a NEW disc btw). And this for no apparent reason !?

BTW, on High-Def Digest where I also informed, I found a thread that looks extremely similar to this issue:
Quote:

Alright, so I've had my A35 since about late January. Been nothing but a good lil machine. Lately though, it's been doing something odd, around 3/4 into movies, it'll start to stutter and then it'll drop the audio or get out of sync. I thought it was just Combos as it did it on Bourne Ultimatum (last 20 minutes are damn near unplayable) and Knocked Up (It stuttered then the sound was out of sync. I chaptered back and it played the rest of the movie fine though).

Last night however I played For Love of the Game in it and about 3/4 of the way in, it broke up really bad like a scratched disc (this one is brand new) and then froze. Chaptering back got it going again, and it stuttered a little in the same part but this time not as bad and then played. It seems to do this on just about every movie now, usually at about 2/3 of the way or later. I don't know if it's the layer switch or what. ... ... ...

Thanks allot everyone for your help/suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 04-06-2009, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Try deleting all of the Persistent Memory and then Initialize the player.
post #3 of 3 Old 04-08-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Try deleting all of the Persistent Memory and then Initialize the player.

Did that, and I am sure it did no harm, so thanks.

To be honest though, even since I upgraded from 1.3 to 3.0 it seems to have gone in the right direction. Playback seems normal again.

For those of you ever reading this (having similar issues) Firmware might be the key, but also keeping your player at a decent temperature and dust free can make allot of difference. I get the impression too much dust can affect the internal fan, which will influence the rise of temperature in the player, and possibly any erratic behaviour as a result.

Thanks again!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page