Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 99 Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by qz3fwd View Post

3D BD will likely fail commercially for numerous reasons.
CBHD has essentially zero chance of proliferating to europe/north america.
Good luck walking into BestBuy/MediaMarkt and picking up a CBHD player within 5 years.

3D will definitely have its problems. Some consumers will enjoy it, but I have a strong feeling that most owners will watch a small amount of content in 3D, get tired of it, and just go back to normal HD viewing.

CBHD has a huge chance of developing a gray market worldwide. First of all, there are millions of Chinese people living in various countries all around the world. Because of the Chinese support for films globally through CBHD, some of those people will export the players and disks from China to various countries. That will likely be little more than a function of demand for Chinese subtitles. The gray market has already opened in the UK.

Certainly, there would be severe difficulties with chain stores stocking such players or disks. So what? Who really cares about the chain stores? I order nearly everything I want both foreign and domestic through the mail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 99 Old 06-15-2010, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

Ahh yes, my good friend PowerDVD, unfortunately PDVD 10 does not support HDDVD, the version I use is PDVD 7.3 Ultra which I believe is the last version that does. Since you already have PDVD 10 installed ou may not want to go through the trouble of removing it and trying a much older version, but if you are interested here is the link to Cyberlink's site for the OEM LG version, dated Sept 10/88, be sure to get the one for BD+HD, this will update the OEM software that came with the drive.

Power DVD updates

Also interesting that Nero would only let you burn it as a CD-R, for an ISO such as this I would recommend BURN CDCC a free program that will do the job you need: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html

Thanks for all the advice, Al. PowerDVD 7.3 is intalled along with all the codecs. Incidentally as I suspected it installs seamlessly alongside Power DVD 10 so I can use either one. The test disk appears to be playing perfectly. What I understand about it is that it is actually an audio disk with three kind of low-fi songs on it. The player identifies the tracks as audio only. The player appears to be generating some psychedelic visuals the ways WMP does. I hope that's what I was supposed to see.

Now to get my hands on a genuine HD DVD. Any one will do, but I will need to get someone to ship it to me as I don't seem to be able to find any sellers who ship them internationally. No need to worry about region coding since Toshiba did away with it for this format. That's another reason to dislike Sony: they retained one of the biggest irritations of the entire optical industry, region coding.

If a genuine HD DVD works out, then it looks like I will be only a codec away (and possibly a Power DVD hack) from being able to play CBHD. Thanks again for all the advice.
post #93 of 99 Old 06-15-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

I own both BD and HDDVD, the quality is great on both but one thing is for sure, there will be more formats yet to come, just look at the new kid on the block, 3D... Now you need not only a new TV, but BD player glasses and oh yeah, the movies too!

But we a straying from the topic of the thread, aren't we?

Actually, Chinese manufacturers have announced 3D CBHD for 2010 so it is topical at least in my opinion.

You forgot to mention that users might also need an HDMI 1.4-compliant AVR to boot!

I think that 3D will become standard technology, people will use it for a while, and then become tired of it quickly due to eye strain, glitchy shutter glasses, and just general lack of interest and convenience for something that is supposed to be relaxing.

Has anyone had any luck getting PC codecs for CBHD? I appear to be all ready for this.
post #94 of 99 Old 06-15-2010, 10:44 AM

There appears to be some good news regarding the video codec for CBHD. According to Wikipedia, the AVS video codec will be used. This appears to be an open-source codec, though my failure to be able to read Chinese currently frustrates my ability to download it.

A Chinese company called DigiRise will be providing the DRA audio codec which does not appear at this time to be open source.

All of this is a culmination of a Chinese effort to circumvent western licensing restrictions by using home-grown or at least home-owned technology. This means that CBHD will be able to remove licensing fees for Sony's patents, Dolby, DTS, etc. The net result will likely be lower prices for consumers.
post #95 of 99 Old 06-15-2010, 09:41 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Stop with the format war resurgence. If you continue, you'll be banned from participating in this thread.

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #96 of 99 Old 06-16-2010, 07:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Just to clarify, the best advice I can provide is to focus on the product and the tech. aspects of the product....leave the format war, sony and anything relating to Blu ray out of the discussion....there just is no need, since it can only bring back a discussion and the divide of the format war.

Here's a link to the sticky in this forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=836780

The rules still apply

"Retired" AVS Moderator
Feeler: I'm thinking of selling my JTR Triple 8HT's Let me know if you are interested?
For Sale: ACS PlanarTrap (freestanding acoustic panel) ($300/pair)[/B]:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...tic-panel.html
post #97 of 99 Old 06-16-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanwescoat View Post

Now to get my hands on a genuine HD DVD. Any one will do, but I will need to get someone to ship it to me as I don't seem to be able to find any sellers who ship them internationally. No need to worry about region coding since Toshiba did away with it for this format. That's another reason to dislike Sony: they retained one of the biggest irritations of the entire optical industry, region coding.

Alan, I don't know where it needs to be shipped to but why stop at one HDDVD, here is a link to an eBay auction that will ship 50 HDDVD's anywhere in the world...

50 HDDVD's

Or if you want only 1 HDDVD...

One HDDVD

Al
post #98 of 99 Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post

Just to clarify, the best advice I can provide is to focus on the product and the tech. aspects of the product....leave the format war, sony and anything relating to Blu ray out of the discussion....there just is no need, since it can only bring back a discussion and the divide of the format war.

Here's a link to the sticky in this forum

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=836780

The rules still apply

As moderators, we are completely serious about this. All members need to heed this advice if they want to continue to participate at AVS.

'Better Living Through Modern, Expensive, Electronic Devices'

post #99 of 99 Old 07-21-2010, 02:16 PM

Dose anyone know or have tried to see f the chid player will play hd dvds or if there is a mod chip to do it
Reply HD DVD Players