Firmware updates never increased boot-up time of A1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked up a back-up HD-A1 this evening. It is in mint condition with Firmware 2.0. My other A1 has firmware 4.0. I remember reading many posts about how the updates made the boot-up times of these players faster. Well, I decided to have a little race. I set them up side-by-side and hit the power button on the remote. They both turned on at the same time. Both the 4.0 and 2.0 machine booted up to the "No Disc" message in exactly the same time. I hit the power button again to shut them off and they both turned off at exactly the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 08:23 AM

yep - I never noticed any speed up in my machine....I always wondered if it was really true! Did you try a disc to see if it loaded up any quicker?
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

No, can't say that I did. I booted them up and powered them down empty. Hmmm, might have to give that a try...
post #4 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Try booting them with HD DVDs.

Realize that many of us started with firmware 1.x also.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-19-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The speed ups were always to the disc / title menu.

Not that I ever noticed a speed up either. I just accpeted that these particular machines are slow as slow can be.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2009, 07:33 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
Firmware 2.0 was also better than the out of the box firmware.

You do need to try it with HD DVDs and DVDs and CDs in the tray. The bootup time did not change much, if at all to power on, but the time to identify the discs and start playback was dramatically improved, at least on my HD XA1 and HD XA2.

I think back in the day, I was told by Toshiba that one change they made was that the process that the disc types were identified, ie, is this a HD DVD? Is this a CD? Is this a DVD? was changed so instead of trying the time consuming process of checking if it was a HD DVD first in the que, the firmware was changed to default to DVD first after HD DVD died as a format, as it was assumed the players would have more use as upconverting DVD players and that change would make DVD playback faster.

"A lot of good arguments are spoiled by some fool who knows what he is talking about." - Miguel de Unamuno

follow me on Twitter
post #7 of 9 Old 09-20-2009, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Implication being if you primarily use it for HD DVD playback, you could be better off with a pre-end-of-format firmware version! I'm pretty sure I'm still on 2.4, so I guess that's me covered !
post #8 of 9 Old 09-30-2009, 11:14 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
The only thing I noticed about A1 v4.0 is that disc reading is less reliable. Couldn't even finish Mutiny on the Bounty without an error during the middle (prior to intermission), but downgraded to v2.6. Did I do something wrong, or is this actually an error with the firmware? It was a freshly opened factory sealed copy, by the way.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-01-2009, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

The only thing I noticed about A1 v4.0 is that disc reading is less reliable. Couldn't even finish Mutiny on the Bounty without an error during the middle (prior to intermission), but downgraded to v2.6. Did I do something wrong, or is this actually an error with the firmware? It was a freshly opened factory sealed copy, by the way.

I watched Mutiny on the Bounty (brand new) on one of my v4.0 HD-XA1s just a week ago and it played fine throughout. I don't know what to tell ya. I have all three of my players (two XA1, one D1) on v4.0 and have had no disc reading issues . . . yet.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page