HDMI display problems with Toshiba HD-D1 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello, I have the Toshiba HD-D1 (A1 clone) running at firmware 4.0. I haven't had any problems with it since I purchased it new a few years ago. My display is using the HDMI output going to a Benq 8720.

Last week I started receiving "HDMI errors" when trying to play a DVD. When I started digging into it, I found that even in the setup menu without a DVD in the drive, the HDMI output will flicker off for a split second about every 5 seconds. Plus, while I navigate around in the setup screens, the output becomes fuzzy for a split second and then clears up. I assume this is why I can no longer play any disks through my HDMI output. I have swapped HDMI cables and taken my monoprice HDMI switch device out of the equation and I still have the same problem.

What does this sound like? Could the HDMI port be going bad on my player? Or could it be something else?

I'm not sure it's worth (or even possible) to send into Toshiba for repair. I was thinking I might pick up an XA2 if I can find a good price on one....or what do you think about some of the new combo players like the LG BH200?

Any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-10-2009, 03:36 PM

It sounds like you've covered all the bases. My guess is that your HDMI port is starting to crap out.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-14-2009, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 104
You should eliminate the HDMI port on your Benq by trying your player with a different display.

All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Movies

post #4 of 10 Old 08-15-2009, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter

I believe it is isolated to HDMI on the DVD player...the S-video out works fine. Plus my DISH 722 DVR output through HDMI is fine to the Benq.

Rich
post #5 of 10 Old 08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Have you tried the player with a single, short (6 feet maximum) HDMI cable directly into the projector? I also think you should try the player's HDMI output into a different HDMI display. These tests would confirm any problem with the player itself.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #6 of 10 Old 08-28-2009, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I should have followed the suggestion from Chris sooner. I was away from the forum for awhile, assuming that my HD-D1 was bad....so I went a found a deal on the Onkyo HD-805 (Toshiba XA2 clone) and went to hook it up.

So....I get no display at all through the HDMI output to my Benq 8720 when I try to play a disk from the Onkyo. I can see the setup menus if no disk is in the drive.

When I connect the Onkyo to another HDMI display (Olevia TV), the display works fine playing disks. I can take the same HDMI cable I attached to the Olevia and plug directly into the Benq and don't get any HDMI output. Both devices are 720p, which is how I currently have the DVD player set.

And of course playing my Dish DVR 722 through HDMI to the Benq has no problems.

BTW...hooking up my HD-D1 to the Olevia seems to work O.K. also...so I guess I didn't really need a new player

So any ideas?? What could be unique about the Benq? Obviously the HDMI sends both audio and video to the Olevia but only video to the Benq.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated....the weird thing is my HD-D1 was working fine to the Benq for a couple years.
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2009, 08:04 AM - Thread Starter

Any other ideas on why I can't get HDMI output from my HD-DVD players but can from my Dish DVR 722??

Rich
post #8 of 10 Old 09-05-2009, 08:24 AM

Liked: 11
HDCP maybe?

Could it be that your Benq projector is not HDCP compatible, but the Olevia TV is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toshiba website View Post

"Viewing high definition content and up - converting DVD content may require a HDCP capable HDMI or DVI input on your display device."

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/dvd/product.asp?model=HD-A1

post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2009, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the idea! I did some searches and found a couple forum members who started having problems with their Benq handling HDCP. After they sent the unit in to Benq to replace the HDMI input board, everything worked perfectly again.

I'm going to call Benq on Tuesday to see about sending it in for repair.

Again, thanks for idea. Hopefully this can be quickly resolved.

Rich
post #10 of 10 Old 09-08-2009, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

I've been having this same problem with HDMI "handshake" issues with my HD-A2. The weird thing is it will work for a few minutes then all of a sudden I'll lose the signal. So I then have to switch to component which sucks. That's on my Panasonic 42". I can't even get a signal on my Sony Bravia.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page