Want to use Xbox 360 HD DVD player on my laptop - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-29-2009, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What do I need to run it and how fast does my laptop need to run at?

Thez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise at home (got it from work) and the drivers all picked up fine and playback is great using WinDVD. The drive was picked up and detected automatically on 7 (and I'd assume Vista), and Windows Update grabbed the proper driver. If you're using XP, I haven't used the drive on an XP environment for a year or so, but you may need to manually install an extra driver, unless it has been added to the Windows Update repository. As for playback, I believe most of it is CPU intensive rather than GPU, so it really depends on what you'll actually see. What are the specs of your laptop?
Old 10-08-2009, 03:44 AM

Hi All..

My first question is:-

1. Does the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player support other media? For example DVD+R DL DVD's? (I've looked everywhere but can't find an answer to this.)

2. If the answer to my first question is NO, just forget my other question, lol

3. I have a 7.9GB .mkv file and was wondering if it would be possible to convert it somehow and burn it onto a DVD+R DL DVD so it can be played in the Xbox 360 HD DVD player?

Hope someone can help, Many thanks!
Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigionlsd View Post

I'm using Windows 7 Enterprise at home (got it from work) and the drivers all picked up fine and playback is great using WinDVD. The drive was picked up and detected automatically on 7 (and I'd assume Vista), and Windows Update grabbed the proper driver. If you're using XP, I haven't used the drive on an XP environment for a year or so, but you may need to manually install an extra driver, unless it has been added to the Windows Update repository. As for playback, I believe most of it is CPU intensive rather than GPU, so it really depends on what you'll actually see. What are the specs of your laptop?

Which version of WinDVD are you using? I'm using PowerDVD at the moment (7.3), but I can only get it to play in File Mode from the hard drive; it crashes when I try to play it straight from the HD-DVD drive. Trying to find a way around that...thanks!
Old 11-02-2009, 03:31 AM
EJ
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackagata View Post

Hi All..

My first question is:-

1. Does the Xbox 360 HD-DVD Player support other media? For example DVD+R DL DVD's? (I've looked everywhere but can't find an answer to this.)

2. If the answer to my first question is NO, just forget my other question, lol

3. I have a 7.9GB .mkv file and was wondering if it would be possible to convert it somehow and burn it onto a DVD+R DL DVD so it can be played in the Xbox 360 HD DVD player?

Hope someone can help, Many thanks!

Yes, it seems to support anything I have thrown at it. Won't your regular DVD player read the .mkv file? It just sees it as a file stored on a disc, I wouldn't think an HD-DVD drive would be necessary. Compared to my other 2 DVD drives, the HD-DVD drive is slower at reading data.

Former USSB uplink operator.