Xbox HD-DVD drive on WinXP - only playing regular DVDs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys,
First of all - I know the HD-DVD addon has been talked about and questioned to death; please just move on if you're sick of reading and don't feel like offering any help. That said....

I just picked up one of the xbox hd-dvd drives with the hope of using it with my computer. Running Windows XP (SP2), the "new hardware wizard" popped up when I plugged it in. While it did recognize it as a DVD drive, it wouldn't recognize HD-DVDs. After installing Toshiba's generic driver (thdudf.sys), my computer will now recognize HD-DVDs, and I can browse the contents of the disc. However, I still can't get any software to play them back. I've tried both PowerDVD 7.3 and 9.something, Ultra editions, and neither one will work. They just spin for a second, then flash "file mode" in the upper right corner for a second before going back to doing nothing. However, it will play regular DVDs just fine from the same drive.

Is there some obvious step I'm missing? Are there additional drivers I need to install? Different playback software? Also, I only have one HD-DVD at the moment - Nine Inch Nails' "Beside You In Time". Could it be that the disc itself is one of the ones that doesn't play nice with this setup? I've watched it on another one of these drives, connected to an xbox, so I know the disc itself works.

Any help would be most appreciated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-06-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Update: I now have this working using file mode with PowerDVD 7.3, but I'd much prefer not having to rip the disc every time I want to watch it. Any tips for getting this to work straight from the disc?
post #3 of 6 Old 10-08-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitweasel View Post

Update: I now have this working using file mode with PowerDVD 7.3, but I'd much prefer not having to rip the disc every time I want to watch it. Any tips for getting this to work straight from the disc?

"CyberLink PowerDVD v8.0.2217.50 Ultra + HD DVD Playback Addon" That is the version I am using.
post #4 of 6 Old 10-14-2009, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Newer PowerDVD players and other player software removed HD-DVD capability. You need find the specific playback software version mentioned above.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-14-2009, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie2u View Post

"CyberLink PowerDVD v8.0.2217.50 Ultra + HD DVD Playback Addon" That is the version I am using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxbat121 View Post

Newer PowerDVD players and other player software removed HD-DVD capability. You need find the specific playback software version mentioned above.

PowerDVD 7.3 already has this enabled, no need to upgrade and do the hack. I'm using 7.3 and it works flawlessly with all my HD DVD discs, I am using and internal drive though.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Internal or external drive doesn't matter. What matters is your video connection? IIRC, you will be fine with VGA connection and DVI/HDMI with HDCP. You will not be fine if you have DVI or HDMI to a digital panel and without HDCP (laptop built-in screen is excluded).
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page