HD-XA1 component & HDMI question. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 11-12-2009, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a XA1 a couple of months ago and have been enjoying it including using it as a CD player. I think hunting down used-new HD movies is part of the fun! I upgraded the firmware to 4.0 as it would not originally play HD discs and it has been working fine,quite a solid machine. The problem I have is that I have an older Mitsubishi CRT 1080i 55" tv with only component in for the HD. I don't know if anything changed with firmware updates but according to the manual I cannot run 1080 component through my Onkyo 805 and HDMI audio at the same time. I have been getting DD+ through optical, changed to DTS 1.5 on my receiver and it sounds fine but it would be nice to get Dolby True HD. I guess I can run 6 analog cables to get it but would prefer to use 1 HDMI cable since my Onkyo will accept HDMI. My Panasonic BD-35 does allow me to use component and HDMI separately. Is it because this was a first generation player and do any of the Toshiba HD players allow you to do this? Thanks, Rod.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-18-2009, 07:38 AM

As far as I am aware, you cannot run both component video and HDMI (video and/or audio) out of the HD-XA1, A1 or D1 at the same time. I own two XA1s and a D1 and neither allows me to do that via my Panasonic receiver. I alwasys thought it was due to the player and not the receiver. I simply go with analog 5.1 out for lossless audio from the XA1.
post #3 of 9 Old 11-18-2009, 11:05 AM

Lucky you bought the XA1 a couple of months ago, I bought mine at release and paid the price!

I have an older Sony HD set with only DVI so I couldn't send the audio directly. I used an HDMI to DVI cable and ran the 6 analog cables since I've run out of optical ports on my Sony. Sounds great and I get all of the audio options available on my receiver....
post #4 of 9 Old 11-19-2009, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply guys. I bought mine at a pawn shop for $55.00. I thought it was too nice a player to pass up. It does sound great as a CD player, a very clean and detailed playback. I have been thinking about getting a HD-Fury 2 hdmi -component converter, the reviews seem to be pretty good and Monoprice has a good price on them.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-20-2009, 07:02 AM

Quote:

I bought mine at a pawn shop for $55.00.

[faints]

That was an incredible deal, my friend
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Dang, and I thought I did good at $125.00 on the bay. Mine was brand new in box though.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-23-2009, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Dang, and I thought I did good at $125.00 on the bay. Mine was brand new in box though.

Around the time of the sell off mania ('98) I grabbed a couple of new ones for $70. Refurbs were going got $40!

Those were the good old days!
post #8 of 9 Old 12-21-2009, 06:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Last week hooked up my Panny BD30, Tosh HDA1 and my Motorola DCX-3200 HDCable Box via HDMI to my Onyko 605 A/V receiver via HDMI to the HDFury 2 (bought thru Monoprice.com for about $140 with $2 power adapter) that is connected to the DTV (1080i) side of the TV w/the Fury's RGB cables and the Fury switched to YUV...couldn't be happier.

The only bug I have is the Fury is sometimes having a hard time recognizing the Cable Box, probably the cheapass way it's built.

I've only had the component side calibrated and can't wait for CraigR to calibrate the DTV side, which is where the Fury is connected to.

If you've been on the fence about this, now the time to go for it, you won't be disappointed.

A couple notes of interest, first, I did have to exchange the first one thru Monoprice (you have 21 days to do it) that stopped working, but the 2nd one works perfectly.

And second, I couldn't get a picture on the BD30 player. It seems some of these BD players default to 1080p when you connect the HDMI cable. Well, since I only have 1080i, no picture. Easy solution, hook up the BD player to another TV with only HDMI. Practice getting into the menu to get 1080i. Copy down those steps exactly, rehook it to your RPTV with the blank screen. The menu is there, you just can't see it. Use the remote to get to the menu, do what you copied down and then...BINGO...you have 1080i and a picture.

It seems my cable box does that occassionally too and I have to do the same thing, but it's worth it.

It's nice to now see all my 4x3 movies/TV shows upscaled/upconverted to 1080i...and my HD players playing exactly what audio they're supposed to. i.e. DTS-MA, TruHD and DDPlus!

Also, I use my HDA1 for all my upscaled SDs and it works perfectly. The BD30 doesn't do as good as a job!

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #9 of 9 Old 12-22-2009, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

I finally hooked up my XA1 with the 5.1 analog cables and it sounds great. I was a little leary of adding to the myriad of cables back there but everthing worked out and I am still messing around a little with the speaker calibration on the player. In the New Year I will probably pick up a Fury 2 or one of its clones and go mostly HDMI.

Thanks for the replys. Rod.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page