Best HD DVDR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-16-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't think a BluRay DVD recorder is available (except as an internal computer drive), so I wonder if the Magnavox H2160A is still the best all-around HD DVD recorder for recording and playing HD content (up to 1080p resolution)? Or have there been better models since its release?

I've been reading a lot of threads on the Mag H2160. I know the difference btwn the Mag and its Phillips cousin. I prefer the Mag.

And I prefer the ability to record AND play content in high resolution above all, of course. But it seems to make sense that using a HDD instead of a DVD disc is better for recording, because a 1080p rez picture (movie) requires twice the data throughput of an SD picture. There's another reason, but it escapes me for the moment...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-16-2009, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Those machines are not HD DVD recorders (nor do they record HD video onto DVDs); they only have "HD" (HDMI) outputs for upconverting standard-def video, and digital tuners that record in SD even when the channel itself is an HD signal.

You would get a better response if you moved or copied your question to the DVD Recorders forum.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #3 of 4 Old 12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The Magnavox is not a high-definition recorder. It can only record and output SD. When people call the Magnavox H2160 a "HD DVD recorder," they are using HD as an abbreviation for hard drive, i.e. "hard drive DVD recorder."

There are no DVD recorders that can record or output actual HD. The DVD standard only supports SD, and all DVD recorders are designed around SD-only chipsets. DVDs can be used to store high-definition, but only under the AVCHD and HD-DVD standards. There are no AVCHD and HD-DVD recorders sold in the U.S.

There are high-definition recorders available for purchase. See the AVS HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart.

HDTV Recorder Comparison Chart | DTVPal DVR FAQ | New! TiVo Premiere (Series4) FAQ |
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-15-2010, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. My reply is late because I forgot about it for a while. I've seen the list before, but I didn't see that the Magnavox H2160 is listed as an SD recorder.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page