HD-a2 problems - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 03:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey there, new poster here, but long time lurker, love the site and been meaning to post a few questions about my a2 for awhile now.. but I've just been so busy in life I never got a chance.

Now that things have cooled down though.. I want to share a few problems I've been having with my 2007 bought hd-a2.

I bought it.. around I'd say oct 2007, it played fine for a few months (of very less usage) and then I happend to buy the beowulf hddvd.. and the problems began.

I'm not sure if the 2 are linked or not.. but since then I've had numerous problems with it.

The first time I put beowulf in.. the player made a kind of clicking/ticking sound (tick tick tick tick tick(about that many times)) and then loaded the disc.. very very slowly. The menu came up very slowly.. andplaying the movie was very slow(it was a defective copy for sure.. but by the time I watched it it was 3 months after I had bought it.. so outta luck on that). Anyway, a couple of scenes in when beowulf is introduced onthe boat it started skipping/stuttering. It proceeded to do this at random times throughout the movie.

After that I would eject/reload the disc, and sometime the ticking would happen, stop, and happen again up to 3-4 times before the disc would load, while other times just the 1 set of clicking(and very rarely none at all).

Either way though upon playing the disc never worked too well.

And I mean that's ok.. it happens sometimes.

However after that, at random times while watching any random hddvd the player would either start stuttering and the image would become blocky, or I would get that usual 408bcsomething (cant remmeber the exact name right now) error, usually around the halfway point of movies.

I thought maybe it's a layerbreak thing but.. it was never at the same spot, and upon replaying the disc and forwarding to/past the spot, sometimes it would work, and sometimes jam/stutter/image break up at another spot.

Anyway this was on random discs like the last samurai, batman begins, matrix reloaded(yes I know this one particularly has been problematic to others) and revolutions among others. Oh did I forget to mention that now any hd movie I put in now has that ticking sound? Because that is also the case now..

So basically I had this nice shiny player I loved.. then that beowulf disc went in and I've had problems ever since. So yeah I'm kinda late on getting this out there but.. If anyone had any similar problems or has any insight.. I'd really really appreciate it!

I mean I can get everything other than the beowulf disc to work in the end(I picked up a 2nd disc a little while ago for $5 and that one works fine other than the random midmovie shenanigans (though clicking like I said is on every movie now)).

Well there you have it.. I did search other threads and google it up but I couldnt find anything quite like this.. I'd appreciate any help at all!!

Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-18-2009, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
+1 My hd-a20 started freezing on combo discs recently and my a-2 will not play dvd's anymore, only hd dvd's. I've got latest firmware on both. I've tried the hack to downgrade firmware on a previous model (did not help) and will not go through that again. I've got a spare a-20 with no firmware updates that is my backup. Bottom line, I'm done with hd dvd and Toshiba. So much for "years of enjoyment from hd dvd". I will not invest anymore $ in it. Rather do the oppo bdp-83 and sell all my hd dvd stuff.

I know this is no help, but maybe some co-miseration is in order...good luck!

1080P at last!!!
post #3 of 8 Old 12-20-2009, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yup.. co-miseration it is it seems!

Well I've searched the web and other sites like this far and wide and couldnt come up with anyone who is having / had the same problem as me so.. I guess I'm boned!

I really used to think HD-DVD was superiour to BR.. however after all the numerous disc and player problems in the long run I guess it was good BR won out(though the tactics used weren't the best, and their launch and profile trouble was horrible).

Although if HD had survived this long, I guess one could say they would have sorted their problems out too.. Although.. I never had to wash a dvd or bluray to date to make it work...

So yeah I guess I'm in the same boat as you, and let me quote 'So much for "years of enjoyment from hddvd"'

However in case someone with has some insight.. I'd still love to be able to fix it.. however I'm not keeping my hopes very high now!

And thanks tg5 for the quick reply!
post #4 of 8 Old 12-20-2009, 07:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I would suggest to upgrade to the latest firmware (not sure if it is still available online or not) if you can. I had problems with the Matrix discs as many did and upgraded to the 4.0 firmware on my A2 and A20 and have not had (knock on wood) a single disc issue since. Your issue may be resolved with that, worth a shot. If that does not take care of it the issue may be a drive or laser issue.

I have a different opinion as I feel that the inferior format won the "war". Moot point now but I'm still bitter. Generally speaking and even now HD-DVD players had fewer "issues" as first and second gen units as their blu brethren. Sheesh even now just go to the blu ray forum and there are still "issues" with the what six and seventh gen products. I'm sorry that your player is on the fritz, because HDM whether HD-DVD or Blu is great. I still buy HD-DVD titles from eBay and Amazon for cheap in fact I just got two a couple of days ago. Depending on the size of your HD-DVD collection you may want to score an A2 off of eBay.

Other than that I don't have much in the way to offer you for help.

Regards,

RTROSE

My (slower than molasses) HT build here.
Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-20-2009, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter

Well to be honest in the heat of the moment you just tend to say things.. just feeling bad that that turned out to be the case.. As I haven't had any problems with my bdp-s550 till date and I've had it for an year now.

And I do have firmware 4.0 on the player.. I didnt mention that in my post but before that the reloaded disc was even *more* problematic.. so I'm guessing it's a hardware thing like you said.

Do you have any insight on the 'clicking/ticking' noise? Like if.. anyone was to know what causes it maybe that would zone in onto the real problem..

I should also mention though that I did choose HDDVD when the war was going on as I felt it was the superiour technology(and still think it would have beenif not for some of these faults) as it took bluray 2 years to get to profile 2.0 as it is now.. and the image quality was identical or better in all cases pretty much.

But that's the way life goes so.. I'm just hoping I don't have to junk it.

Anyways, if you or anyone has any theory/knowledge at all on the ticking noise.. that would help greatly as I'm sure it's linked to the problem somehow.

In case anyone doesn't want to read the first post it occurs upon puttin in any hddvd disc(not dvds) and makes a ticking sound while reading 5-6 times (i.e tick tick tick tick tick) then loads the disc after that.

Thanks for the reply RTrose, I appreciate it!
post #6 of 8 Old 12-20-2009, 11:39 PM

Liked: 11
The problem is almost certainly drive related. I would try to get a cheap defect unit from ebay with any error except drive related. Then you could swap the drives. If you find a unit with the WELCOME bug, it's a sure bet. That error is caused by an error on the mainboard, and the drive will probably be in a good working order.
post #7 of 8 Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah maybe I'll go ahead and try that then Viking, and thanks for the response.

Guessing as well that the drive is the culprit.. and I did not know about that welcome bug so I would definitenly not have thought of that!

Thanks again then to everyone.. I guess there's not much I can do about the one I own unless I get another one and get busy with swapping the innards!
post #8 of 8 Old 12-24-2009, 08:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnfresh98 View Post

Yup.. co-miseration it is it seems!

Well I've searched the web and other sites like this far and wide and couldnt come up with anyone who is having / had the same problem as me so.. I guess I'm boned!

I really used to think HD-DVD was superiour to BR.. however after all the numerous disc and player problems in the long run I guess it was good BR won out(though the tactics used weren't the best, and their launch and profile trouble was horrible).

Although if HD had survived this long, I guess one could say they would have sorted their problems out too.. Although.. I never had to wash a dvd or bluray to date to make it work...

So yeah I guess I'm in the same boat as you, and let me quote 'So much for "years of enjoyment from hddvd"'

However in case someone with has some insight.. I'd still love to be able to fix it.. however I'm not keeping my hopes very high now!

And thanks tg5 for the quick reply!

well i had hd dvd first,but saw the hand writting on the wall and went blu.glad i did too.as far as tactics ,thats show biz,hd dvd tried to pull off some things too.i also like the hard coat on bd which hd dvd didn't have.
look the bottom line was for some reason or reasons hollywood wanted blu-ray and got it. i hate bd-j and like hdi.

anyways enjoy hd dvd as long as you can and why not!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page