Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
mnc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hey I have an HD-A3 and want to know if it plays DVD-Audio discs?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-21-2010, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Only if the DVD-Audio disc has a lossy track like Dolby Digital. There are no DVD-Audio high-resolution MLP capable HD DVD players that I'm aware of.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter
mnc
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I don't understand why not? What is preventing an HD-DVD player from playing DVD-Audio?

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2010, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnc View Post

I don't understand why not? What is preventing an HD-DVD player from playing DVD-Audio?

The right codecs and licenses.

Good movies are as rare as an on topic discussion.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Member

I think pretty much all the DVD-A discs have a dolby digital or DTS track so you should be able to playback the music on the disc. It will not be in a lossless format though. They still do sound good either way.

Thanks Richard

They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-28-2010, 12:24 PM

This was a big mistake on the part of Toshiba. It is a family member of the DVD spec and should have been included. May not have one the war, but it would have enticed the high-res audio crowd who already have collections to migrate to HD-DVD much faster than just the promise of TrueHD and MasterHD.
post #7 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 221
Don't waste your time with CD on HD-DVD. You will get super audiophile quality by grabbing a classic DVD player like the Harman Kardon DVD-48 or any of the OPPO SD-DVD. CD's are simply brilliant on any of them in any CD format. Plus the DVD upscaling is much better than any of the BluRay or HDDVD players. You can actually grab them very cheaply now, since the world has gone Blu. The CD quality is equal to or surpasses audiophile machines costing over $10,000 to my ears. I personally have a latter day Denon 3560 CD player ($3000 in its day). And it can't touch my HK DVD48 for sonic quality. The Denon has been banished to the rec room. The Home theater room has the Toshiba HD-A35 (HDDVD), Pannasonic DMP-BD35 (BluRay) and Harman Kardon DVD 48 (SDDVD & CD). This circulates to a dual wielded 7.2 system featuring the Harman Kardon AVR 745 as the 7.2 Controller. The 745's dedicated 85Wx7 amps feed a full 7 speaker array of Definitive Audio Front & surround monitors spaced in a near ceiling configuration (8' high to a 12' ceiling). The Preamp-Outputs of the 745 feed a monster array of audiophile grade amplifiers including: 2 rare Sumo Andromeda II Stereo amps designed and built by Steve Bongiorno himself (for front & side ear level audiophile speakers); Adcom GFA 545 II for SBR&L ear level audiophile speakers; Marantz MA 700 THX Mono amp for floor level front center; and a Audiosource 5.3A mono amp for one 12" slave Cambridge audio subwoofer, of the (3), 12" subwoofers in the full system. The other two subs are the Powered Main Cambridge Subwoofer (500W), and the 500W Ultralinear.

This entire system presents a 14.3 high-low speaker surround soundstage that is completely spellbinding on audio CD's via the HK DVD 48. And movies via my 65" Hitachi CRT RPTV monitor (fully calibrated and tweaked) is an experience that is too good to describe. I prefer a fully tweaked CRT to fixed pixel anyday. The room is 28'x36' or 1008sf. So it's plenty big.

The real point is this however. Grab one of the audiophile Oppo's or the HK DVD48 from EBay or elsewhere for your CD and SDDVD listening/viewing. You won't be disappointed with either. And Either will be much superior than the HD-DVD player or a BluRay player for CD listening purposes.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The OP is talking about playing DVD-Audio discs on his HD-DVD player, not CDs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post

Don't waste your time with CD on HD-DVD. You will get super audiophile quality by grabbing a classic DVD player like the Harman Kardon DVD-48 or any of the OPPO SD-DVD. CD's are simply brilliant on any of them in any CD format. Plus the DVD upscaling is much better than any of the BluRay or HDDVD players. You can actually grab them very cheaply now, since the world has gone Blu. The CD quality is equal to or surpasses audiophile machines costing over $10,000 to my ears. I personally have a latter day Denon 3560 CD player ($3000 in its day). And it can't touch my HK DVD48 for sonic quality. The Denon has been banished to the rec room. The Home theater room has the Toshiba HD-A35 (HDDVD), Pannasonic DMP-BD35 (BluRay) and Harman Kardon DVD 48 (SDDVD & CD). This circulates to a dual wielded 7.2 system featuring the Harman Kardon AVR 745 as the 7.2 Controller. The 745's dedicated 85Wx7 amps feed a full 7 speaker array of Definitive Audio Front & surround monitors spaced in a near ceiling configuration (8' high to a 12' ceiling). The Preamp-Outputs of the 745 feed a monster array of audiophile grade amplifiers including: 2 rare Sumo Andromeda II Stereo amps designed and built by Steve Bongiorno himself (for front & side ear level audiophile speakers); Adcom GFA 545 II for SBR&L ear level audiophile speakers; Marantz MA 700 THX Mono amp for floor level front center; and a Audiosource 5.3A mono amp for one 12" slave Cambridge audio subwoofer, of the (3), 12" subwoofers in the full system. The other two subs are the Powered Main Cambridge Subwoofer (500W), and the 500W Ultralinear.

This entire system presents a 14.3 high-low speaker surround soundstage that is completely spellbinding on audio CD's via the HK DVD 48. And movies via my 65" Hitachi CRT RPTV monitor (fully calibrated and tweaked) is an experience that is too good to describe. I prefer a fully tweaked CRT to fixed pixel anyday. The room is 28'x36' or 1008sf. So it's plenty big.

The real point is this however. Grab one of the audiophile Oppo's or the HK DVD48 from EBay or elsewhere for your CD and SDDVD listening/viewing. You won't be disappointed with either. And Either will be much superior than the HD-DVD player or a BluRay player for CD listening purposes.

Epson 5020UB (won on AVSForum!) on Elite Sable 16:9 100", Oppo BDP-83 & 93 (ISO firmware), Dune HD Base 3.0, Darblet, Sony MDR-DS7500 Wireless Surround Headphones & Onkyo TX-SR707
post #9 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Wow, you really must love being an audio-videophile, or talking about your "gear"! You spent a ton of space listing your equipment in a thread and never bothered to read the post as to what the topic was.

To the original poster, the answer is "no", sorry. If you really want to play DVD-A's, you'll need a different player as none of the HD DVD players read DVD-A (except for the DD or DTS tracks as another poster pointed out).

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'll cut him some slack. Only 35 posts.

Interesting on the best CD player information though.

It DVD Audio Disc support, would be an interesting value add for the HD-DVD player. Maybe a good pet project for some serious electronics engineering student. Tosh would never do it.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 03:36 PM

Quote:

after your glowing review of the HK 48. i tried to find some more info on the HK. read somewhere that if you pause it, it does not pick up where it was
last....true/false?
post #12 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 05:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 221
I never had that problem with mine. It picks up fine after pause. I never heard about that problem. It doesn't resume playing where left off after pressing the Stop Button. That may be what the article was referring too. But all one has to do is view the scenes and press play, if they want to return to a specific point after completely stopping play. And of course, it plays all of the audio formats flawlessly such as SACD and etc.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-28-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:

I never had that problem with mine. It picks up fine after pause. I never heard about that problem. It doesn't resume playing where left off after pressing the Stop Button. That may be what the article was referring too. But all one has to do is view the scenes and press play, if they want to return to a specific point after completely stopping play. And of course, it plays all of the audio formats flawlessly such as SACD and etc.

this from a user review.......

Summary: They spent a lot of time in the design of the video and audio, but seem to put very little thought in the controls.
The remote does light up, but only the buttons, not the wording. If you're not sure which button you want, you have to turn a light on to see it.
The real problem is in pause mode. There has been times when I could not ever get it to pause on the frame I wanted to look at. I'd get close to the frame, hit pause and wind up somewhere else!! I think it goes to the front of the track, not the frame you paused it on. Given the pause problem and without a back step function, This machine is only good for watching something straight through. Only pausing for breaks. If you want to get a closer look at a particular frame, forget it. Put the disk in another machine to do that.
Why they didn't put in the back step function is anyone's guess!!
Other then the control problems, this is a really good machine!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-01-2010, 01:42 AM

yah i remember some dvd players can't play audio cds/dvds. try to check the specs of the player before buying it., some shows music/audio on the specs but plays only mp3.

Cesar Anthony Villas
My Satellite Blog
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page