post #31 of 38 Old 03-14-2010, 10:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rage2wrath View Post

Uhhh? HD DVD and BD both use the same laser, only the lenses are different. It has the same upscaler and can output 1080/24p and bitstream audio just like the XA2.

Best buy for your money in my opinion.

Yes, as I say, sounds like a winner.

But I have the same question, really. How do they play BD's with an HD DVD lens?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Yes, as I say, sounds like a winner.

But I have the same question, really. How do they play BD's with an HD DVD lens?

It doesn't, it uses 2 lenses.
post #33 of 38 Old 03-15-2010, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It doesn't, it uses 2 lenses.

Oh, OK... then it's NOT the same guts as the XA2. It must have a different drive? The XA2 doesn't have 2 lenses as far as I know.
post #34 of 38 Old 03-16-2010, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Oh, OK... then it's NOT the same guts as the XA2. It must have a different drive? The XA2 doesn't have 2 lenses as far as I know.

Ha ha ha. Will you please stop reaching to sound right on this? Of course the transports for the two players are different, but that in no way shape or form affects the quality of the playback, you know, the part people are actually interested in. The most significant components to playback performance is the video processeor and the DACs, which are the same on the XA2 and the 5000.

So if you want an HD DVD player that outputs 1080/24p, bitstreams high resolution audio, and upscales DVD's excellently (using the same video chip as XA2) you are not restricted to the XA2 and A35. The 5000 does all of the same things, plus plays Blu Rays.
post #35 of 38 Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ha ha ha. Will you please stop reaching to sound right on this? Of course the transports for the two players are different, but that in no way shape or form affects the quality of the playback, you know, the part people are actually interested in. The most significant components to playback performance is the video processeor and the DACs, which are the same on the XA2 and the 5000.

So if you want an HD DVD player that outputs 1080/24p, bitstreams high resolution audio, and upscales DVD's excellently (using the same video chip as XA2) you are not restricted to the XA2 and A35. The 5000 does all of the same things, plus plays Blu Rays.

It does sound very good. I focused on the transport because the Pioneer 51 I love so much is a little weak on error correction. Some have a lot of trouble with rentals. I am fortunate and have no trouble. The consensus seems to be it's a weak-ish transport. See? I AM right! OK... I'll stop

EDIT: BTW, thanks for discussing this player. I didn't know about it.
post #36 of 38 Old 03-27-2010, 07:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjitalian View Post

i would have to vote for the xa2.the a35 is not a bad choice either but if you also have a bunch of std.dvd's the xa2 and its upconverting abilities is the better choice.yes some xa2's have the darned shutdown bug but the workaround generally takes care of that problem-it does for me anyway.i have both players xa2 and a35 with f/w 4.0 and honestly the xa2 boots up and loads an hd-dvd disc much faster than the a35.so in short xa2/onkyo 805
followed by the a35 is how i see it.

While playing "The Host" on my A1, the pic froze and wouldn't play anymore...so I bought it on BD. Next I played "Pitch Black" and it also froze up...replaced it with another HDDVD and it worked fine.

Tonite...well, while playing "End of Days" the A1 powered off four times...it's never done that before. I've never even heard of the A1 just shutting off during a movie. I bought my player within the first month of it's release and has FW 4.0

Is it time to get a A-35 before my A1 becomes a brick, or was this occurrence an abberation?

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #37 of 38 Old 03-29-2010, 08:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Follow up...unplugged it for a few hours, took off yhe outer cover, blew it out with a small air compressor and now it works perfectly. It was quite dusty inside, especially the cooling fins.

...finally retired and spending time in my HT!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB Projector; 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panasonic BD30 Player, Toshiba HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers (Center, Towers, Rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TW HD Cable Box. 

post #38 of 38 Old 03-30-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmm. I think I will blow mine out... Thanks for the follow up!
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page