toshiba HD-A30...Any way to confirm it is really outputting TrueHD? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2010, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi folks. I was watching Matrix Reloaded last night and I decided to switch to my dolby track just to see if it sounded a lot different than true hd and to my surprise it didn't. I was wondering if there was a way to confirm that it is really playing the true hd track when I have it set as such? The info button does confirm it is decoding true hd and outputting PCM which is all this player does but I was wondering if there was another way to tell. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyReets View Post

Hi folks. I was watching Matrix Reloaded last night and I decided to switch to my dolby track just to see if it sounded a lot different than true hd and to my surprise it didn't. I was wondering if there was a way to confirm that it is really playing the true hd track when I have it set as such? The info button does confirm it is decoding true hd and outputting PCM which is all this player does but I was wondering if there was another way to tell. Thanks.

How do you have it connected to your AVR?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beekermartin View Post

How do you have it connected to your AVR?

HDMI cable of course.
Old 07-12-2010, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

HDMI cable of course.

I don't own an A30. I don't know if it has 5.1/7.1 analog outputs. That is why I asked how you have it connected it to your AVR.

If you setup the A30 to output "bitstream" I assume it will at least output lossy dolby digital over HDMI. If it does then set it to output lossy dolby digital. Verify that your receiver is receiving a dolby digital signal. Then switch the audio track to the True HD track. Your receiver should then verify it is receiving a pcm signal.

If the A30 can't bitstream any audio via HDMI then run an optical cable to your receiver. Set up your AVR to use the optical cable for audio with that HDMI input. Then select the True HD track. Over the optical you will be getting lossy dolby digital which your receiver will display. Then reset the AVR to get the audio from HDMI and the receiver will display PCM. If you do it that way you will be to switch between lossy and True HD fairly quickly.

I feel that True HD/DTS HD master sound much better than the lossy tracks. You do need to have a decent system though to really notice the difference.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1145 Post(s)
Liked: 1589
Quote:

if you have selected the TrueHD track then that is what it is playing. What more "confirmation" do you need? Do you think it's lying to you?

the honest truth is there is not THAT much difference between the lossy and lossless tracks.... it's like a track off a CD vs a good MP3 version of it, you need really good gear and/or really good ears, and a critical A/B test to really hear much difference.

I just think your expectations need adjustment

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Old 07-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have to disagree with the above comment. Dolby TrueHD plays at 192khz, where as the Dolby digital track plays at 48hz, plus if you have a receiver that decodes these codecs you will definitely hear a difference. If you have Batman Begins, watch the sparring session on ice and you determine if you hear a difference. I for do, but thats just me. I hear richer sound from all of my speakers that are also calibrated none the less. Especially the dialog.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Dolby TrueHD plays at 192khz, where as the Dolby digital track plays at 48hz

false!

almost all HD audio tracks use a 48khz sample rate.

it's not the sample rate that is better, it's the lack of lossy compression.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-17-2010, 12:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

i have an a30 and if you press the display button twice(i think)a small window will open on the tv screen with info on audio codec being decoded by the player.i have my hdmi audio output set to auto in the set-up menu.its been awhile since i used the a30 because my main hd-dvd players are the xa2 and a35 via hdmi bitstream to my avr's.you can also count me as one that does notice a differance between lossy dd and dts versus the lossless dolby truhd and dts master lossless.lossless on my avr systems which are of pretty good quality is noticeably better.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Advanced Member

ok for the sake of argument, why would they even bother creating a new codec, if there really isn't a "difference". The reason for having an uncompressed audio stream is to have a closer sound quality to what they recorded in the studio, how that does not sound better than a compressed audio track is news to me.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Advanced Member

But to your point your right. Without the right equipment, one will be unable to hear the difference. I guess i was being a little biased since I do have the "right" equipment and hear the difference. So it really comes down the user and the equipment. Whereas I am an audiophile who looks for those subtle differences.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

nobody's saying it's not "better".

the point is that it's not a smack-you-in-the-face difference, it's subtle -- as you yourself say!

thus, my point that the OP shouldn't be surprised that he doesn't hear "a lot" of difference.

Setup Guide and FAQ

Old 07-21-2010, 07:10 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

nobody's saying it's not "better".

the point is that it's not a smack-you-in-the-face difference, it's subtle -- as you yourself say!

thus, my point that the OP shouldn't be surprised that he doesn't hear "a lot" of difference.

This is the truth. I have a good quality system and although the lossless tracks do sound fuller, it is not a day/night difference. Most people can't hear any difference between a 320kbps mp3 file and the CD master. I find 1.5mbps DTS lossy tracks almost indistinguishable from the equivalent lossless track.