HD-A20- no PCM audio, Dolby from regular DVDs only - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 06-10-2011, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I just got a Toshiba HD-A20 from an Ebay seller who said it was "tested and works great", but something weird is going on with the audio output. It puts out no sound whatsoever on HD-DVDs whether using the HDMI or optical outputs. On regular DVDs, it outputs Dolby Digital and DTS, but if the DVD has a PCM soundtrack it will not output any audio signal on that. I played a DVD that has a Dolby 5.1 track and 2-channel PCM and switched back and forth, and got sound on the Dolby track but no signal on the PCM. My guess is that something internal that handles PCM audio is faulty, though it did output 2-channel PCM from an audio CD. I updated the firmware but that did no good. I even hooked up the L/R analog jacks, though I would never use those I got no sound at all from them regardless of what was playing.

Has anyone heard of this problem? If there's no way to fix this and the seller won't take it back, he's gonna get negative feedback!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Mine displays the same symptoms, only intermittently. About half the time it's like yours, the other half it's fine.
Meanwhile, the door now refuses to open. Must be nearing time to replace my fave HDDVD discs...

Aibohphobia: The fear of palindromes
post #3 of 5 Old 06-12-2011, 12:12 PM

You could try resetting it to factory defaults by pressing Display, 7, 0, 1, Display on the remote (if memory serves me right). It will reset your player and then turn it off.

Or you can try (re)flashing it with the latest firmware. It might get the audio working again. After the firmware upgrade you should run Initialize from the Setup menu.
post #4 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
I tried all the resetting stuff and that did nothing. I currently have its firmware as the region-free HD-EP10 with FW 2.8 (latest I could find, seems Toshiba's UK site no longer includes firmware for any HD-DVD players). Was going to try downgrading it back to the A20 firmware then upgrading that to its 4.0 firmware (already found out the hard way on an A2 that if your player 'thinks' it's a European model then you try to upgrade it with American firmware, you'll brick it!) though I've read someone else tried that and it didn't work. Wasn't til I got this player that I found out that this is apparently a common problem with this model.

I already got a refund from Paypal, but not sure if I'm supposed to send the player back to the seller now? I'd do so if I could do it without having to pay any postage.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-15-2011, 06:47 AM

If it is of any interest, you can find the EP10 firmware version 4.0 here:

http://cid-6948f2460bdd190c.office.l...EP10%5E_TE.iso

P.S.
How much do you want for the HD DVD drive in your broken A2?
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page