Toshiba XA-2 does not play HD dvd's - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a used Toshiba XA-2 player and does not play HD discs. It plays regular dvd's with no problem and the up-conversion is great. It tells me that it can not read HD DVDs. Anyone else has had this problem. Any ideas how to fix?

Thanks--Oortism
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-23-2011, 02:49 PM

Liked: 11
First of all let me congratulate you with your second post in almost 6 years.

Back to your problem. It's the laser lens in the HD DVD drive that is causing the trouble. If you feel up to it, you can buy a new lens at the well known auction site for 7 or 8 dollars. Look for PHR-803T or DT0811. Either one can be used.

If you don't want to open the drive, then you can buy a cheap defect A2 or A20 and swap the drives. Just be sure that the defect on that player is not drive related. A player with the Welcome bug is a sure bet. That is caused by an error on the mainboard, and the drive is normally in a perfect working order.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Viking 61,
Thank u very much for the response and the answer to my problem. It's not everyday that I get stumped on an issue like this DVD player, hence, my 2nd question in 6 years!

Oortism
post #4 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

First of all let me congratulate you with your second post in almost 6 years.

Back to your problem. It's the laser lens in the HD DVD drive that is causing the trouble. If you feel up to it, you can buy a new lens at the well known auction site for 7 or 8 dollars. Look for PHR-803T or DT0811. Either one can be used.

If you don't want to open the drive, then you can buy a cheap defect A2 or A20 and swap the drives. Just be sure that the defect on that player is not drive related. A player with the Welcome bug is a sure bet. That is caused by an error on the mainboard, and the drive is normally in a perfect working order.

Viking........
I've been having problems lately with my XA2 reading some HD-DVD's.
Some discs that have played fine in the past now give me an error message.
But most others play fine.
Do these laser lenses go bad all at once or gradually?
How hard is it to replace?
Thanks!
post #5 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Viking have you put in a new lens before? I've swapped drives but never a lens. Doesn't the lens need to be precisely aligned?
post #6 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 02:22 PM

I have bought a laser lens to have as spare if my drive goes bad too, but I have not been needing to change it yet. There are several persons on the British AVForum that have changed on their XE1 (European XA2), and it seems like it is fairly easy to do.

Quite many HD DVD drives experience this problem after awhile, and I think it happens gradually. For some it shows itself as it will play some, but not all discs. For others it will play DVD discs, but not HD DVD discs. Others maybe have another combination of faults. The common thing is that there is disc reading problems.

As far as I have seen, everyone that changed the laser lens got their problem fixed.

Concerning lens alignment, I really don't know as I have not changed the lens myself. But it sounds like the lens changing is not a difficult procedure from the post of people who have done it. So my guess is that it fits easily into the right alignment by itself.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
hi i have a firmware disk i got with my old a-20 that says firmware 4.0,will that work in my xa2 cause i got 1 with 2.8 version.i am cautious because the disk says to use on a-20 only .thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 04:07 PM

You need the firmware for the XA2. It can be downloaded from here:
http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...Family=2805945
post #9 of 11 Old 07-24-2011, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
ok i downloaded that burned it to disk player says when i go to load it wont play not a dvd format?any ideals.thanks
post #10 of 11 Old 07-25-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics craz View Post

ok i downloaded that burned it to disk player says when i go to load it wont play not a dvd format?any ideals.thanks

You must burn it to a CD-R or CD-RW, not a DVD. It must also be burned to the CD as an image (as opposed to just burn the file to a CD). You can use www.imgburn.com to do this.
post #11 of 11 Old 07-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking61 View Post

Quite many HD DVD drives experience this problem after awhile, and I think it happens gradually. For some it shows itself as it will play some, but not all discs. For others it will play DVD discs, but not HD DVD discs. Others maybe have another combination of faults. The common thing is that there is disc reading problems.

Intermittent problems reading discs sounds like it could be as something simple as a dirty/dusty drive lens. My Samsung BDP2500 worked flawlessly for 3 years and then began to have problems last spring not reading some discs and "stuttering" on others (would pause for several seconds and skip ahead). I live in southern AZ and dust is a real problem here, so that was my first thought. So I took the top cover off and it was amazing how much dust was in there. I took it outside and used an air compressor to blow out all the dust, including inside the drive. It's worked perfectly every since.

But with the OP's problem of the player not reading any HD DVDs but playing DVDs fine it does sound like the blue laser went out. Never would have thought about just replacing the lens, I would have gone the route of buying an A2/A20 stuck on Welcome and replaced the drive.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page