My HD-A1SN won't do HDMI - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-24-2012, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just updated my dedicated theater - bought a new Epson 6010 projector, Oppo 93, and Onkyo 709 AV Receiver to replace equipment that was pre-HDMI. Obviously I'll be doing mostly Blu-ray/DVD but I was also hoping to use my Toshiba HD-A1SN player and my JVC D-VHS player to play my HD-DVD disks and D-Theater tapes. Unfortunately, the D-VHS player appears to be dead - doesn't respond to commands - and I can't get the HD-DVD player to output in HDMI. Oh, well.

The Video output works. I haven't tried the component output yet. The front panel says HDMI and 1080i but the projector isn't receiving any signal.

I thought I'd ask here if this is a known problem. It used to output over component just fine, but I hadn't used the player in a long time so there may well be an update available. I think the HDMI is like 1.1 and the new receiver is 1.4 but I assumed the versions are upwardly compatible.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Based on your post, I'm assuming you are feeding the hdmi signal to the receiver, and then on to the TV from the receiver.
Since the HD-DVD player is indicating 1080i on the front panel, I expect it is outputting 1080i to the receiver successfully. You may have a handshake issue going on between the receiver and the TV which sometimes has to do with the order in which you turn components on. If you switch the TV to a different input, and then back to the hdmi input you are connected to, do you get anything then?
Does your new receiver have some menu settings that display on the TV? Do they display OK using the hdmi connection from the receiver to the TV?
To confirm the player is providing a 1080i signal, you might try connecting the HD-DVD player directly to a hdmi connection on the TV as a test. If that works, then you know the player is functioning?
Looking over the manual for this player, it seems pretty limited on the audio output side as well - doesn't seem to support lossless audio codecs very well.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #3 of 6 Old 02-27-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I downloaded a zip file for the firmward update V4, and unzipped it to a CD. The disk has one file in the root directory - TN4000_Release - which is an ISO image file. When I put that disk in the player, I get "NOT PLAY". Again, my player is an HD-A1SN. Anyone who has successfully uploaded new firmware to an HD-DVD player, please detail exactly how you burned the file to disk. I wonder if I used the right format or something. Thanks.

By the way, Rich, the projector is doing great with HDMI connections from both a Blu-ray player and DirecTV.
post #4 of 6 Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Although I wasn't able to get a working firmware update, my A1 is now outputting HDMI and looks great. I think it was as Rich said - a handshaking issue, and now that I've fiddled with it enough that it has HDMI as the default, it'll function well from now on. Thanks, Rich.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilson View Post

I downloaded a zip file for the firmward update V4, and unzipped it to a CD. The disk has one file in the root directory - TN4000_Release - which is an ISO image file.

You described the problem perfectly. What you did was to "create a data disc with an ISO file on it". An ISO file is itself basically a set of instructions for creating a disc (that could be of any type, not necessarily a data disc). You need to use a program such as ImgBurn, and go into that program and tell it to "create disc from image". Then when it asks for the image file, pick the ISO you already have (you may need to copy it back from your CD into a folder on your hard drive first). Good luck.

Chris

"It's [expletive] lame to watch Jaws, a film that uses the 2.40 ratio as well as any ever produced, in the wrong format on HBO." -Steven Soderbergh, Oscar-winning director

post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 PM

Liked: 10
great. I've fiddled with it enough that it has HDMI as the default, it'll function well from now on. thanks 10.gif
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page