Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 36 Old 12-04-2012, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by theslydog View Post

Yeah, you can pick up a LG HD DVD/BD super multi drive from amazon for less than $70 and rip your hd dvds to iso.
This is the best way to guard against hd dvd disc rot.

I got one of the LG's new before they went off the market for ~$100. It's still my primary optical drive. Last time I looked into ripping my HD DVD's (admittedly some time ago) there weren't any free tools around. What are the good ones?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 36 Old 02-08-2013, 06:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfbar1 View Post

Got an A35 off Craigslist couple years ago for 30.00. Have all 3 gens (XA1, A20, A30, and the A35). I agree that both the movies and the players have better Picture quality, but am concerned about "HDDVD rot". Followed the thread about Warner disks freezing up, but I have had just about all (Universal, Paramount, and Warner) BRAND NEW just out of shrink wrap, freeze at least once during the movie, mostly toward the end (heat buildup?). I still have nearly 200 HDDVD's and have NO plan on getting rid of anything.

Back to topic (sorry), another thing I love about the A35 is the analog multi outs. I have a high end Sony ES analog preamp with 2x 5.1 inputs and separate 5 channel AMP. Watched transformers a couple of weeks ago and was blown away by the sound (movie starts right up at the beginning and never lets up).

I just trashed an XA1 and am interested in getting another HD-DVD player. Problem I was having with the XA-1 is that it would freeze even with clean disk. Bought it used so that's probably why it was being sold.

Currently looking for an A30 or A35 on ebay thinking that they'd be less problematic but don't know if in reality, they do or not.

In your experience (having had so many players) did you find one of them to be less of a problem than others with freezing?

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #33 of 36 Old 02-10-2013, 02:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Wow. this forum section still has life in it LOL

I have been a little disappointed in the 3rd gen players (A30. A35). It seemed that just about every movie I played would freeze after about an hour or so.

My A20 was rock solid on disk playback. Only issue was the TOTAL lack of audio after some time (HDMI, SPDF, and yes even Analog). If It is unplugged for awhile, it would work fine. Never did much about it (sadly, it is in my garage with ALOT of other gear)

I picked up a XA2 off ebay last year. been perfect for the 5 or so movies I have played. Only issue, it is a little noisy (would gladly trade a little fan noise for frozen playback anyday). Actually expecting my 2nd XA2 any day now to replace my A35.

My XA1 gets very little use, hooked up in my kids room. They played Fast and Furious last week and it played fine. They are always complaining about the 2 minutes till they can load a disk from power on. I do LOVE the high end looks of it though.

Good luck on your mission to replace your player
post #34 of 36 Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

jfarb

Sounds to me that getting a replacement HD-DVD player that is not problematic is very much a crapshoot. Compound that with the fact that the one HD-DVD that I especially want to play is a Warner disc and may in fact be suffering from either delamination or disc rot makes matters even worst. When that disc was rereleased in BluRay, they dropped the audio from high rez to DD...and I can definately tell the difference. That and a couple of other HD-DVDs were my main reason for wanting to replace the player.

Maybe it's time to let it go and just rebuy the few disc in BluRay that I'd like to have and call it a day.

I really hate that as I think the HD-DVD format picture and sound were better than BluRay.

Samsung 64F8500, Panasonic 65VT50, Oppo 95, Tivo Roamio for OTA, Dish VIP722, Marantz AV8801 preamp, Rotel Amps, Atlantic Tech 8200 speakers, Seaton Submersive HP, Calman 5, Chromapure, Accupel DVG-5000, i1Display3pro, i1pro2, eecolor colorbox.
post #35 of 36 Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are still referring to Phantom, I have that (one of my first disks that someone gave me when they bought it by mistake -what, I can't play this in my dvd player? LOL)

I need to watch it both to experience the high rez audio, and to see if it will play all the way through
post #36 of 36 Old 02-11-2013, 07:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes, it's the Phantom HD-DVD that I'm obsessing over.

Don't you know that we're going to go through the same thing with 4K.

Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page