Toshiba HD-XA1 still amazes me... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-05-2012, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
So I pulled this relic out of storage to be used as a DVD player. im hooking it up a first gen Pioneer Plasma(yet another relic) which only has a 2 component inputs, which is fed through a controller set top box. I got to thinking that with the new compliance for HD players not upconverting through component cables, and figured it would look awful. Lo and behold the HD-XA1 does in fact upconvert through component, and what a gorgeous picture from old DVD's. i tell you, they made some quality players.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-08-2012, 05:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

So I pulled this relic out of storage to be used as a DVD player. im hooking it up a first gen Pioneer Plasma(yet another relic) which only has a 2 component inputs, which is fed through a controller set top box. I got to thinking that with the new compliance for HD players not upconverting through component cables, and figured it would look awful. Lo and behold the HD-XA1 does in fact upconvert through component, and what a gorgeous picture from old DVD's. i tell you, they made some quality players.

I agree, top quality hardware. I have a HD-XA1 in the rack to watch my HD DVD collection and a new HD-XA1 I have never broken the seal on sitting in the closet. Also have a couple of m new A2's in the box, sold all the new XA2's and A3.5's I purchased at auction a few years ago. Memories! I do find I watch the HD DVD's less and less as time goes by. The musical videos more than the movies are what I dig out to watch and more importantly listen to on the HD-XA1.We can lament over the loss of HD DVD but, it is is not coming back any time soon to the US. Always something newer, better, cheaper on the horizon. Like a fine wine, great until the bottle is empty and it takes it's place in history when replaced by something else.

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #3 of 4 Old 03-10-2012, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
Just wondering if there is a hardware or software modication for the Toshiba HD XA1 that would allow playback of DVD Audio (DVD-A) discs?
post #4 of 4 Old 03-17-2012, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronics View Post

Just wondering if there is a hardware or software modication for the Toshiba HD XA1 that would allow playback of DVD Audio (DVD-A) discs?

Good luck with that one LOL. Toshiba DID make one (DVDA) back in the day, never got one though. The only "new gen" player that supports DVDA (only) is the Panasonic BD10/A (have that one- very nice player).

There are several "new" blu rays that DO support "both" SACD and DVDA (Denon, Marantz-although both current models only have HDMI, NO analog outs, Yamaha, and my current fav-OPPO). Only suggestion is , if you are PC inclined, get a "universal" LG BD/HDDVD drive and use power dvd7 for media playback.
Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page