Finally jumping on the HD-DVD Bandwagon... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 03:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Regardless of some possibly thinking this post could be from 2008 and I may have had some time space delusion disorder of sorts, it is actually 2012 and I am actually just now jumping aboard with HD-DVD. Dead formats are bittersweet... but mostly for someone like myself who has waited so long to dive in, this tends to be more sweet than bitter

So I was looking at my shelf below the 47" LED TV I've had for several years now and decided that it was time to finally place the order for that long awaited Oppo BDP-93 I've been lusting over for nearly a year. That and unlike the BDP-83 I missed out on, I did not want this to become magically discontinued sometime in the coming months with a replacement on the way only to have my heart crushed for something it is set on. I picked up a handful of blu-ray discs and while I am absolutely in love with the Oppo for its DTS downmixing, SACD capabiliting (hush, it's a word!) and fairly stunning Bluray playback goodness, I started to question the video format slightly. (How dare I! ) Suddenly, I remembered that Xbox 360 HD-DVD players were incredibly cheap and that the same discs costing 3-4-5x as much on bluray could be had for a fraction of the cost... so my search began.

The perfect bid came in on a nicely used 360 HD-DVD player with 7 titles and a remote with all accessories for roughly $45. The part I feared the most is not with the format or the discs or the fact that it is a dead format... but the 360's ability in actually displaying a decent HD image... as many of you may have seen or known, the 360 seems to do a pretty terrible job at playing regular DVDs. Despite my pre-HD-DVD-360 image quality phobia, I bit and here I am.

(flip flopping, I know..)

One of the first movies I played on the Oppo was American Psycho and then The Orphan. I was almost horrified with the image into thinking that something is.... something must be wrong with either the disc or the player... or dear forbid, my TV. I soon realized it was actually just a bum transfer of the movie and while The Orphan was slightly better (did not have the weird haze on bottom/top of the image) it was grainy but I suppose that is just how the video was shot. Regardless, both impressions left me looking the other direction rather quickly and while not to say I dislike bluray (because I did rent Drive recently and it was absolutely phenomenal looking on the Oppo) it did beg to make my mind wander a'bit. The first disc in general was actually not a Bluray movie at all... it was a SACD of Dark Side of the Moon and I was just thrilled to bits " <--- 'pun' " with the exceptional sound coming from my setup.... but I digress...

The first movie, and yes... while it is a rather terrible movie due to the less than stellar English audio track/acting, I popped in was The Host as my first ever HD-DVD movie. The initial scene was breathtaking.... for a lab. I shunned at why my other two movie experiences weren't like that with the Oppo but again, after Drive I just salt it up as crap transfers for the Bluray and not the actual format itself. Furthermore and after playing with some of the video settings the 360 has (I was shocked I hadn't messed with it sooner, I don't play many games mind you despite having a game console), I found reference settings and so on that really brought the images to life. No longer was I worried about the 360s capability of reproducing some of the most stunning images my LED TV (or retinas if you prefer) has ever seen! I was sold... and now, partially hooked.

That was almost two weeks ago. Between eBay and Amazon, I have suddenly acquired quite a large selection of great deals on this dead format shoved to the side. I'm now at roughly around 160+ HD-DVD titles and only two weeks and a few hundred dollars down... yet I've still got a ways to go before even matching the price of the Oppo itself. (love that player, I do!) Now tell me, what is wrong with this picture?

That's right. (Never minding the obvious crap blurays I have but...) There is a 40:1 ratio of HD-DVD to Bluray titles despite the awesome player sitting in the background. (The other 70 or so HD-DVD's are not in this box for those nitpicking and counting ). Anyways, I just wanted to share my new found excitement of jumping aboard both the dead HD-DVD format and the now standard HD Bluray Format cycle in literally one weekend. So many great deals to be had on HD-DVD with some titles apparently still not on Bluray, how can I go wrong. With that said, I will most definitely be purchasing Drive for the Oppo in the near future. What a fantastic film! Oh, and DTS! I love my DTS!

To the best of both worlds, here I come....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Word of warning: you have some Warner titles there, and they are notorious for disc-rot that makes them eventually unplayable. I'd check those out first.
post #3 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
I've had both formats since inception. I was always an advocate of content vs. formats (some called it instant gratification) So I understand where you are coming from. While I prefer Blu-ray disc for all the reasons one would: Lossless audio more prevelant, larger disc space capacity, prefer the AVC Video codec, more studio's backed it, all players output 1080p, IT WON, etc.

I still have and had a soft spot in my heart for HD-DUD. They seemed to try harder knowing they were against a Goliath. Their software was certainly more advanced than Blu-ray's (at the time) and most of their hardware is still doing pretty well today.

I currently own an HD-A1 (boxed mint) an HD-A2, HD-A30 & an XBOX 360 HD add on drive.

One thing you may run into (I have personally had 3 do this) is movies getting disc rot/play back errors. While certainly inexpensive to replace, kind of a bug-a-boo when you're in the mood to watch say "Troy" and you can't because it's rotted out and freezing up all over. Nice though in that i was able to replace for $1.96 new/sealed on amazon lol.

I know Blu-ray isn't exempt from this issue (the BD prestige had it's own disc rot breakout) But it seems far less common and I with 452+ BD's haven't experienced it. But out of my 150+ HD-DVD's I've had 3 go rank on me.

Enjoy the fun... You'll get lots of cheap thrills and nostalgia from the dead format (i still do) But let me tell you, that Oppo and the Blu-ray format for your newer titles and titles NOT available on HD-DVD is leaps and bounds better in the end, not even mentioning when you get into the audio side of things and start to really see the DTS-HDMA and DolbytrueHD Stretch it's legs!

Just saying, don't deprive yourself of awesomeness or judge an entire format because you purchased a few duds on BD, both formats have their fair share but overall IMO BD>HD-DVD in every way shape & form (Especially considering what's available now)

Good luck, and keep us posted on the stories

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #4 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

Word of warning: you have some Warner titles there, and they are notorious for disc-rot that makes them eventually unplayable. I'd check those out first.

Yup^ (my Tokyo drift disc too had it Universal studios title)

HDDVD owner: 360 add-on, HD-A30, HD-A2, A1
Blu-ray disc supporter: ps3-60gb, Oppo BDP-93
TV's: LN46B750 1080p-240hz LCD/kdl55hx729 1080p 240hz 3D LED

Link:Blu-ray Disc Fan Forum
post #5 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the heads up. I just got Planet Earth today and the first disc, even though perfect, would not play at all. Out of all the other discs I've tried, this is the first and only one to give me an issue thus far. I am excited about owning and feeding the Oppo more goodies though indeed . Thanks!
post #6 of 14 Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM
aod
Advanced Member

I say congrats. I, like BTBuck1, have a soft spot for HD DVD. I've got a XA2, A2, A35 and a 360 add on, among hundreds of discs (some SUPER rare). The picture is every bit as good as my tons of Blu-ray's and my Panny BDT310 player. I think it really was a David vs. Goliath with HD DVD vs Blu-ray, with Blu-ray ultimately winning (obviously). There are still plenty of those hard core HD DVD supporters that have since crossed over to Blu-ray that still have a real fondness toward HD DVD and have kept everything (me included). Viva la HD DVD I say.

post #7 of 14 Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

LumaMMXII , Nice to see a fellow Hoosier get the HD DVD bug, better late than never. You do not seem to be the early adopter type, which explains why you have the monetary resources to throw at your HD DVD project. Enjoy!

looking for another set of HD-134 lenses. Send me a PM!
post #8 of 14 Old 05-12-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
175 hd-dvd's, 2-samsung up5000 dual format, x-box 360 add on, LG computer dual format, and onkyo HD805.....my 2 cents is....i buy all of the hd-dvd's for cheap and get the blu-rays in the movies I can't find in hd-dvd's. I still think there's a lot of blu-rays that don't look much better than a unconverted dvd, so for them I pass.

tony4k
post #9 of 14 Old 05-15-2012, 06:14 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Bickering removed. If you'll notice, this thread is in an HD-DVD area. Therefore, this is not the place to resurrect the format war.

As we used to say, if your post isn't about HD-DVDs, then move on.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aod View Post

I say congrats. I, like BTBuck1, have a soft spot for HD DVD. I've got a XA2, A2, A35 and a 360 add on, among hundreds of discs (some SUPER rare). The picture is every bit as good as my tons of Blu-ray's and my Panny BDT310 player. I think it really was a David vs. Goliath with HD DVD vs Blu-ray, with Blu-ray ultimately winning (obviously). There are still plenty of those hard core HD DVD supporters that have since crossed over to Blu-ray that still have a real fondness toward HD DVD and have kept everything (me included). Viva la HD DVD I say.

My goodness guys - I had the XA2 player and a host of HD DVD movies along with Bluray [I also had a PS-3] Haven't had HD DVD in quite awhile though. Here's wishing you guys much success.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 09:32 AM

I have a HD-A20 with about 25 HD DVD titles and I pulled it out the other day and hooked it to my TV and it came right up with great picture.....BUT I have no audio.

I messes arounds with the settings and nothing.....finally. after unplugging and plugging back in the hdim cble I heard audio.

Tried it again and last night no audio.

There is no support for my player......If you know of any place I can go for help please let me know. I would really like to be able to watch movies on this again.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
i think you're having hdmi hand shake issues.

tony4k
post #13 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 05:58 PM

Next time you try it out, position the player so you can view the back when you turn it on. When the power is on, check the optical connection. I bet you won't have the red light on. If this is the case, you're pretty much out of luck. Some of us had this issue over the past few years, and there's a post on this issue here. With a hard reset (power unplugged for hours) the sound would reset at first until you turn off the player again. Then even that wouldn't bring back the sound.

One person posted that it seems like a software issue that mutes the system, and nothing could reset it. I owned 2 different A20's that had that happen, while no other unit gave that error.

Hopefully that isn't your issue, but I have lost faith in the HD-A20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinfire View Post

I have a HD-A20 with about 25 HD DVD titles and I pulled it out the other day and hooked it to my TV and it came right up with great picture.....BUT I have no audio.

I messes arounds with the settings and nothing.....finally. after unplugging and plugging back in the hdim cble I heard audio.

Tried it again and last night no audio.

There is no support for my player......If you know of any place I can go for help please let me know. I would really like to be able to watch movies on this again.

post #14 of 14 Old 05-17-2012, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeags View Post

Next time you try it out, position the player so you can view the back when you turn it on. When the power is on, check the optical connection. I bet you won't have the red light on. If this is the case, you're pretty much out of luck. Some of us had this issue over the past few years, and there's a post on this issue here. With a hard reset (power unplugged for hours) the sound would reset at first until you turn off the player again. Then even that wouldn't bring back the sound.

One person posted that it seems like a software issue that mutes the system, and nothing could reset it. I owned 2 different A20's that had that happen, while no other unit gave that error.

Hopefully that isn't your issue, but I have lost faith in the HD-A20.

+1 on the A20 audio issue. I have dealt with this for several years. I will have everything good for awhile, then when powering up, will get NO audio (not even the analog outputs). I really liked that player when it worked. The 3rd gen (A30/35) works OK, but seems to freeze more, and I HATE that every time you remove power, you need to reset the clock (NEVER had that with the first/second gen players I have).

Still on the lookout for a XA2 though, have over 200 HDDVD's that I know have little or no value for selling, so gonna keep them and maintain a player in my setup.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page