Error 2007C023 HD-XA2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 05:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This error has been driving me insane. When playing an HD DVD, about 45 minutes in, the audio stops and the video goes black. After a minute or so, the error shows on the display. Then, the only way to power down the XA2, is to unplug it. With regular DVDs, this happens in 15 minutes.

I've cleared persistent storage, initialized the unit, downgraded the firmware, updated back to 4.0, and cleaned all of the dust out of the unit. I also tried operating the unit with the cover removed. No dice! The error is not mentioned in the service manual. Internet searches have yielded very little about this error.

I REALLY want to fix this issue. I love my XA2...And since it cost me over a grand, I'm not willing to give up easily. The XA2 is the best player I've ever owned. Up until now, it never so much as glitched mildly.

Please! If anyone has experienced this error, please tell me how you fixed it. If anyone can shed any light on what the issue may be, please let me know. I would even pay to have it repaired, if it was something I could not fix on my own. But, I have serious doubts that Toshiba is still supporting the HD-XA2.

I have a substantial DVD and HD DVD collection. And for those who own one, know that the XA2 is the only way to fly!

Thanks in advance...Will

Red was my first love. Blu is my new wife!
HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

You can't have everything. Where would you put it? Steven Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 31
When something electronic starts misbehaving based upon how long it has been running, one has to think of components failing due to overheating. Is there a cooling fan in the XA2? If yes - is it working?
Toshiba has been pretty good about providing support for their HD-DVD players, so it might be worth a shot to contact them.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #3 of 8 Old 10-19-2012, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Overheating was the first suspect. However, I ran the XA2 with the cover off, and had a fan blowing over the unit. The results were the same. In two of the three search results I had found, corrupt firmware was mentioned. That being said, I did drop down to 2.7, then updated back to 4.0. I had the same error. However, I could not recall if I had initialized the player after downgrading to 2.7. So...I ran through the process again, this time, making certain that I followed the process to the letter. It's been four days, and I've watched 2 HD DVDs and 1 DVD...No errors!

I also let the XA2 "run in the background", where I would swap out discs as the movie ended. The XA2 ran without a hitch for hours. I think it is safe to say that this error is the result of corrupted firmware. It is not mentioned anywhere in the service manual. I am happy, once again!

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

post #4 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got this error today. How does one "downgrade" the firmware on the HD-XA2?

Will, what are the steps you took to resolve this? Initialize the player?
post #5 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
You can try this procedure. It is actually for changing an Aussy version to a US version. But by doing a switch to Aussy and then back it will work .

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=63415
post #6 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If you don't mind me asking.....what films are you actually trying to play?? If you check my history I have been very big on these discs that "supposedly disc rot" from Warner bros. films which is why I'm asking...! Eventually they stop playing and have a disc error issue in which they don't play at all or stop working 15-60mins in!

What do you think?
post #7 of 8 Old 12-22-2012, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Scent of a Woman, Christmas Vacation, 12 Monkeys, and Zodiac.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-08-2013, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Charles0424,

I actually discovered that I had the Warner Brothers issue after the firmware fix. I started with The Matrix boxset (all 3 had rot). All 3 failed at some point in the movie. One by one I started testing my Warner titles. So far, I have checked about 10 discs...All failed. I have nearly 50 Warner titles, and I'm just a tad upset about this. The error I get is not the same as I had mentioned in my original post. I've held fast to HD DVD since the beginning, and I kept my XA2 and an A2, and never sold my discs. In fact, I bought a bunch of discs months after Toshiba threw in the towel. Warner Brothers has a lot to answer for...But, alas, I can't see them doing anything after all these years.

I still love my XA2. I will run that puppy till the wheels fall off. If for nothing else, it's superior up-conversion capabilities.

Is anyone old enough to remember when the first CDs came out? It was said many times that you could bury them in the ground for a 100 years, dig them up, and they would play as if new. What a crock!

Best regards...Will

Louisville S,

The method that Phase700B mentioned is the exact way that I was able to downgrade, and then, upgrade the firmware. I have not had an error 2007C023, ever since.

HD DVD-117
Blu-Ray-287
SD DVD-544

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page