Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-18-2012, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all!

So i know these things are long gone but damn-it I have been watching a ton of my sealed HD DVD's lately and I'm still sitting here saying to myself "Wow, Blu wasn't then and still isn't now much better!" Sorry for the quick rant but honestly between all the HD players I owned I believe the XA1 has always been the better performer in terms of AUDIO/PICTURE. Just my opinion so you can call me old fashioned....Have one player in my primary with 250 HD DVD backing it up which I will NOT replace for blu-ray and another XA1 on the way as my back up.

So AVS HD DVD enthusiasts, which I am sure there are still plenty out there, (hell I still have a pioneer elite laser disc player eek.gif) Which set up do you all PREFER for AUDIO? Lately I been running HDMI to my receiver which decodes the audio and then sends it to my receiver. I love it but have been flirting with the idea of trying a 5.1 analogue option? From your tests which do you all prefer?

I know I know it really should be what "I" prefer but then again I just would like some opinions!

THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-13-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 10
It depends on the quality of the DACs in the HD-A1/XA1 vs your receiver. It is a well known fact that the A1/XA1 have excellent DACs and many owners use them as dedicated CD players. In my case, I think it sounds better when I let my Pioneer Elite VSX-01 do the decoding via HDMI.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Interesting. I just ran across this post and dug my old HD-A2 out of the basement. I have seen on other groups that it is supposed to have inferior DACs, so I pulled the circuit board (the chip is on the underside). I was surprised to see the BB logo on the chip. I could not see the number too well, because there was a streak of marker thought it, but I could make out 'PCM..55." There could be another number in front of the '55' but I cannot see it. Is anyone familiar with that DAC? Is it a decent one?

Thanks and Best,

Brian
post #4 of 11 Old 08-01-2013, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansxx View Post

Interesting. I just ran across this post and dug my old HD-A2 out of the basement. I have seen on other groups that it is supposed to have inferior DACs, so I pulled the circuit board (the chip is on the underside). I was surprised to see the BB logo on the chip. I could not see the number too well, because there was a streak of marker thought it, but I could make out 'PCM..55." There could be another number in front of the '55' but I cannot see it. Is anyone familiar with that DAC? Is it a decent one?

Thanks and Best,

Brian

Most likely a PCM1755 DAC, a common and capable chip.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
LOL I wish I can still use my XA1 as a high end CD player (when it worked it sounded AWESOME), but it will NOW read any CD's anymore. Sad thing is I also (in the garage rack) have a Denon 2910 that woun't read CD's either, but sounded great when it did.

I have been itching to pull apart the XA1 and swap out the drive with my XBOX 360 unit and see if that will work.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2013, 04:28 PM

Liked: 12
What do HD-XA1 go for nowadays?
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
10-30$
post #8 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post

10-30$
That's a ridiculously low price(as in give-away) for a very solid and capable CD-transport, much less a HD-DVD and DVD up-scaling player! But there's no denying the format is long dead, never to live again. frown.gif Rick

redjr...
Pioneer Elite - A-20, DV-79AVi, BDP-HD1, SC-05

post #9 of 11 Old 04-04-2014, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
thats what I saw them for...shipping costs more than the unit now unfortunately...
post #10 of 11 Old 06-14-2014, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just tossed mine in the trash, it stopped working completely (neverending bootup)....The drive in it is NEC IDE HD/DVD/CD rom unit. The player is basically a Pentium 4, socket 478 computer using an embedded Linux OS. Have connected the drive to my computer and it will only play some CDs, not DVD or HDDVD....

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr View Post
Quote: Originally Posted by RonAlam

10-30$

That's a ridiculously low price(as in give-away) for a very solid and capable CD-transport, much less a HD-DVD and DVD up-scaling player! But there's no denying the format is long dead, never to live again. Rick

Last edited by vcrpro3; 06-15-2014 at 10:25 PM. Reason: clarifying info
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 54
It's too bad the XA-1 doesn't get more respect as an audio player. A nice solid chassis with some audio grade DAC's. I believe the audio section was also isolated. There was a thread somewhere that analyzed the audio capabilities of the XA-1 and found it a top notch CD player. I just sold one of mine recently and gave a couple of CD's a listen before I packed it. It sounded fantastic.
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page