pondering the hd format war - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #31 of 72 Old 04-18-2015, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Yeah, I know they're basically the same unit, but still. I only went with the A1 because that was all I could get. Funny since I used to think that the XA1 could do 1080p...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 72 Old 04-18-2015, 09:28 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Back in 2006, unfortunately, for both 1st gen Toshiba HD DVD players, the A1 and XA1, only 1080i (720p) was the max video resolution.
...No firmware update either to get them full HD 1080p. ... C'était la vie, a ce moment la.

Second gen with the XA2 came to the rescue; with full HD 1080p; enfin. ...The A2 was still only 1080i. ...But the A20 was 1080p.

* Back then, in the era of HD DVD and Blu-ray, right @ the very beginning, 2006-07, I wasn't posting around; I was watching hi-def movies.
So I never get intertwined with all the Internet raging battles between the two clans. ...I was totally @ peace in my own movie cocoon.
Here @ AVSForum they had to shut down the site because too much red blood was spilling all over. ...I only learned of it much later. ...Blu smelling.

But there are still battles lurking ahead...

It's not what's behind it's what's ahead.

Last edited by NorthSky; 04-18-2015 at 09:33 PM.
post #33 of 72 Old 04-19-2015, 08:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone remember the original prices? I think the xa1 was like close to the original Blu Ray player prices, with the a1 being half that... Funny for a moving door and serial port...

post #34 of 72 Old 04-19-2015, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 7012 Post(s)
Liked: 3557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Anyone remember the original prices? I think the xa1 was like close to the original Blu Ray player prices, with the a1 being half that... Funny for a moving door and serial port...
* XA1 = $799
* A1 = $499

MSRP, back in 2006. ...$300 difference, basically for the motorized front door of the XA1, that's it. ...And it could break easily; so I bought the A1.
post #35 of 72 Old 04-20-2015, 08:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_huntington View Post
Just some questions about the format war...

I basically slept on it. I had gotten engaged in 2006, move to another state in 2006, changed jobs in 2007, and married in 2007, so basically any and all of our disposable income went to that from 2006-2008 ish… so I just missed the whole thing. I finally picked up blu ray in jan. of 2010. And I just don’t really remember the nitty gritty of this all, because I just had way more important things going on in life so… whatever. I missed the boat

So the past few months I have really gotten back into the Betamax format, and was looking at the downfall of that format, and a lot of people speculate one of the main reasons (beside tape length) was lower cost of the vhs players getting more people through the door for the format, and the cost was due to JVC licensing any and everyone who would give them royalty money. Was that also one of the many reasons for the failure of HD-DVD?? Like look at this, out of all the HD DVD players, here is the breakdown:
-21 toshibas
-2 venturers
-2 lgs (but were hd-dvd/bd combo units)
-1 rca
-1 onkyo
-1 integra
-1 samsung

That’s a crap load of Toshiba units… and not much else. Did Toshiba have a less than stellar licensing agreement? Why did no one else churn out any players? Now i know the main reason was company alliance, and of course the PS3 put several million units in household overnight basically. I don’t think it would make any difference at all what the prices were, or the availability of units, or anything. If the movies you want were all on blu-ray, you would have to support that format. So in the end, yes, the main deciding factor was the ps3, and all the company’s that ran to blu-ray in late 2007/early 2008, and left Toshiba standing alone. But why is that list of units so scarce with 3rd party manufacturers for hardware?
I still have two HD-DVD players. I always preferred it over Blu-ray....
post #36 of 72 Old 04-21-2015, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 528
I have an A35 that still has a place in my rack. I use it a couple of times a year to watch Pan's Labyrinth and 2001 A Space Odyssey. I have a brand new A3 as a spare also.

HT, Mitsubishi HC6500, 106" screen, Vizio P50-C1, Oppo BDP-103, Sony UBP X800, Panasonic LX-1000U, Pioneer Elite CLD-95, Faroudja NRS, DirecTV H21-100, PS3, Pioneer Elite SC-85, Def Tech; SM 450, CLR 2002, BP2X, Klipsch KSB 1.1(X4), Pro Sub 100, Polk PSW125
Old School, Sony PS-5500->Denon 103r->AU-320 SUT, Dual 1219->Shure M91ED, Kyocera DA-610cx, Realistic STD-2000D, Polk Monitor 10A
post #37 of 72 Old 04-22-2015, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Still rocking my Onkyo HD-805
RonAlam likes this.

tony4k
post #38 of 72 Old 04-30-2015, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuSoardGraphite View Post
I garuntee you people are going to be purchasing 4K Blu Rays thinking they are going to work in their 1st generation BD players and expecting them to work because they have a 4K TV.
Aw heck, LOTS of people haven't even signed on to Blu-ray from DVD! That much is evidenced by the fact that the Redbox warns me each time I rent a BD "Are you REALLY sure you want a Blu-ray disc, because it won't play in a DVD player!" Yeah, genius, I know.

I only hope that when UHD BDs come out they'll take on a form kind of like BDs: The one box includes the UHD BD, a standard BD, and a digital copy.

Please, oh please, oh please!

---
Striving to live life in high dynamic range and ultra high definition.
Samsung UN65JS8500 / Denon AVR-X4000 / 5.1 w/ Mixed Speakers / Sony BDP-BX59 / TiVo Premiere XL / Apple TV (3rd gen) / Fire TV (1st gen) / Xbox 360 R2-D2 Edition
KC area / Father of 4 / Husband / Video Producer / Skeptic
post #39 of 72 Old 05-10-2015, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
(...respectfully snipped for my posts brevity...)

Great post you made Worf,

Great thread too, I learned some good information reading all the back and forth between some of you members.
post #40 of 72 Old 05-10-2015, 08:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I blame this thread for my recent HD-DVD spending on eBay....

Though, I purchased two HD-xa2 - one of them is like new with box, the other was used.

At least now I can watch happy feet without it pausing around the 23 minute mark (known problem on the a1).

Funny though, I never see any xa1 on eBay. Lots of a1 and the xa2 comes in bunches...
post #41 of 72 Old 05-19-2015, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I have two XA2's as well. Both have the overheat shutdown bug. I have one side panel removed which prevents shutdown. I've got about 50 more discs to finish ripping out of over 200, then I may just box up the discs and play them from Plex. I haven't bought anything on HD DVD in over 2 years. I think I'm done buying them, too many that have issues. I've got around a dozen that won't rip or play. Just not worth it. I've got some blanks too. Quite a few. About 15 of the 15gb ones and 12 or so 30gb. I need to do a limited release of something, maybe a short nature documentary. I've got the software for it 2 HD DVD burners, I just need a PC with XP.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #42 of 72 Old 05-19-2015, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 206
For you guys that recently picked up HD-DVD players, check my post #28 for a link to Toshiba's website so you can update your firmware to V4.0, it may help with some of the issues you are experiencing...
RonAlam and Squirrel! like this.

post #43 of 72 Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 123
I'm a computer guy, and watched the beginnings of the War with a great deal of interest. I heard all of the arguments before I invested in it, and one thing became glaringly clear:

HD-DVD had far less capacity than Blu-Ray.

I could see quite quickly which format would win. It was so obvious. The game was over as soon as Blu-Ray came on the scene. HD-DVD could have made every concession to the industry, and still could not have possibly been in contention without a major upgrade to the spec.

The final blow wasn't the defection of the studios - it was the lack of interest in selling blank media. Remember, this was the time that disc storage was the main means of storage.

School was out.

HD-DVD was a dead duck from day one in the face of plain facts. The rest was smoke, and busted mirrors.
post #44 of 72 Old 05-19-2015, 07:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 52
so you knew about the dual layered HD-DVD discs that they were going to make also right? oh and that they were larger in capacity then a Dl BDR? go home fan boy, dont try to stir things up in here...
post #45 of 72 Old 05-19-2015, 09:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah. It took after the war before the dual layer Blu-rays came out cost effectively, and HD-DVDs were dual layer from he get go with triple and quads demo'd. (Being DVD based, and DVDs had mastered the dual layer art ages ago, it was trivial to extend it to HD-DVD).

Computer storage is a joke - few people buy Blu-Ray blanks, and all my burners support bd-xl which I've not seen a disc for sale. I know of one person who uses them for storage, and he doesn't do it much - media pricing, speed, and well, a portable hard drive is faster and more capacious.

Heck, you'd think PCs would use it to distribute their 30GB games, but no, everyone still uses DVD. It didn't take long for DVD drives to be standard in a PC, yet Blu-Ray drives are rare, and they're not exactly that much more expensive.

4k Blu-Ray is probably end of the line, reserved for very high end applications because the public wants to go netflix and streaming.
RonAlam likes this.
post #46 of 72 Old 05-23-2015, 03:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post
Aw heck, LOTS of people haven't even signed on to Blu-ray from DVD! That much is evidenced by the fact that the Redbox warns me each time I rent a BD "Are you REALLY sure you want a Blu-ray disc, because it won't play in a DVD player!" Yeah, genius, I know.

I only hope that when UHD BDs come out they'll take on a form kind of like BDs: The one box includes the UHD BD, a standard BD, and a digital copy.

Please, oh please, oh please!
That would be optimal. Or better still, figure out a method where a UHD BD has a layer that reads like a standard BD which can be read by regular Blu Ray players so it doesn't matter which one you put it in, it will work. It's a pipe dream, I know, but I'm an optimist.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #47 of 72 Old 05-23-2015, 03:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam View Post
so you knew about the dual layered HD-DVD discs that they were going to make also right? oh and that they were larger in capacity then a Dl BDR? go home fan boy, dont try to stir things up in here...
That sounds like a lot of "was gonna" and "almost did" non of which matter in the end.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #48 of 72 Old 05-24-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
I drove about 45 minutes to a local BestBuy the day the A2's became avaliable and arrived from the distribution hubs. I fondly remember walking out of the only BestBuy in my area (and which I had never been to before) with 3 brand new HD-A2's for around $500 each as I recall. I later picked up 2 XA2's (brand new) and a A20. I still have all of them and all my discs (probably around 200) in addition to my BD collection. I also have a couple HDDVD/BD PZC drives. Heck I even have a VMD player and a few discs-somewhere in storage. You probably never heard of VMD format I bet.
post #49 of 72 Old 05-24-2015, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yeah, VMD is one I never heard about... Must've died before the war started because it was only between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD. The only advantage I saw is really cheap players - given they use red lasers which at the time was stupidly cheap over the blue lasers used by both HD-DVD and Blu-Ray.
post #50 of 72 Old 06-28-2015, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-dog-avs View Post
I'm a computer guy, and watched the beginnings of the War with a great deal of interest. I heard all of the arguments before I invested in it, and one thing became glaringly clear:

HD-DVD had far less capacity than Blu-Ray.

I could see quite quickly which format would win. It was so obvious. The game was over as soon as Blu-Ray came on the scene. HD-DVD could have made every concession to the industry, and still could not have possibly been in contention without a major upgrade to the spec.

The final blow wasn't the defection of the studios - it was the lack of interest in selling blank media. Remember, this was the time that disc storage was the main means of storage.

School was out.

HD-DVD was a dead duck from day one in the face of plain facts. The rest was smoke, and busted mirrors.
Absolutely nothing here is true. This segment on Wiki says it best:

On January 4, 2008, citing consumer confusion and indifference as a reason for lackluster high-definition software sales, Warner Bros. publicly announced it would stop supporting HD DVD by June 2008, and the company would release HD titles only on Blu-ray Disc.[35] But despite public statements from Warner Bros., privately it was rumored that Warner Bros. had received $500,000,000 from the Blu-ray Disc Association (BDA) to go Blu-ray exclusive. According to Matt Buchanan at Gizmondo, "Warner actually wanted to go HD DVD. They gave Toshiba the chance to bring another studio into the HD DVD camp before they turned Blu. Fox was lined up, and told the HD DVD camp it was going to switch to HD DVD, which would've also turned Warner exclusively HD DVD. At the last possible minute, it nixed the deal." Gizmondo also reports that Don Lindich from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette received inside information a week before the switch. Quoting Lindich, "It's because Fox received a reported $120 million payout from Sony to stay Blu-ray—Warner then switched and received between $400 and $500 million for its defection".[36] According to Lindich's article for the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, "With no studio joining them on the HD DVD side, Warner's hand was forced and it went with Blu-ray, receiving a reported $500 million for doing so".[37] This was followed by news of Netflix phasing out support for the format, and Best Buy's decision to recommend Blu-ray Disc over HD DVD in its retail locations and to remove HD DVD players as part of its ongoing "HDTV advantage" promotion. Finally, retailer Wal-Mart announced that it would be supporting only Blu-ray Disc by June 2008. On February 19, 2008, Toshiba announced plans to discontinue development, marketing and manufacturing of HD DVD players while still providing product support and after-sale service to consumers of the format (including firmware updates). The company cited "recent major changes in the market".[38] Shipments of HD DVD machines to retailers were reduced and eventually stopped by the end of March 2008.[39]

The size of the discs mattered little, like previous posters have mentioned, no one uses BD's for computer storage, not now not then, access is slow and limited size and little compatibility that someone else will have a BD/HD DVD drive to transfer info to if physically transporting data. I use a Mac exclusively and even though they supported BD, they never opted to support BD, actually phasing out optical drives altogether. Flash media is more readily used for this type or an external enclosure drive. Between 2006-08, no one would use a BD or HD DVD to store data or transport, they had external drives then too with faster transfer rates. At the time of launch up to HD DVD's demise the majority of HD DVD discs were already using the 30gb discs while most BD's were using 25 and MPEG-2. HD DVD's used mostly VC-1 which is on par with MPEG-4 which most early BD's hadn't used yet.

The one thing Sony did right was put a bd drive in every PS3, while Microsoft didn't even support their own software with the launch of the Xbox, relying on the add on drive later. This would have more to do with early failures of HD DVD rather than capacity. BD's took 10 years to go from 50gb to 100gb, while HD DVD had already a 51gb disc in the works within 2 years of launch.

The reason for HD DVD's failure has more to do with Sony throwing money at the studios under the table and having their own large film studio to work from. If you look at sales early on, up to 2007 HD DVD was outselling BD like 2-1. Looking back Blu-ray has been a costly investment and a bag of hurt for Sony. They should have looked to online streaming like Netflix and digital downloads which is what most consumers want now. Discs are old world technology and at some point will be forced to phase out.
RonAlam and Squirrel! like this.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #51 of 72 Old 06-28-2015, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

very well put
post #52 of 72 Old 07-04-2015, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quick question, two actually: Do any modern gaming consoles or any other device play HD-DVD's? I have an old player not used in many moons, but may be in the market for a gaming console, so just curious. Also, someone mentioned ripping to the computer. I assume I would need an HD-DVD driver for that? Certainly don't have that. My 2010 era PC does have a Blu-Ray drive, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't read the HD-DVD. I'm assuming my only option, unless I hear otherwise, for playing my few HD-DVD's is going to be the old Toshiba player.

Thanks,
RT
post #53 of 72 Old 07-04-2015, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
The XBox360 has an optional external HD-DVD drive that plays HD-DVDs. It came with software for the XBox 360 and a remote control, as I recall. It also works as an external drive when connected via usb to a computer. There are also other external drives I've seen occasionally & internal computer HD-DVD drives as well that can be loaded into a desktop computer or installed in an external drive case. Playback software will be an issue since most programs dropped support long ago or never updated programs to work in newer op systems.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #54 of 72 Old 07-04-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks,
Just picked up an external drive for my Xbox 360 on Ebay

RT
post #55 of 72 Old 07-04-2015, 08:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Huh, I thought Blu Ray had that as well these days. It's the one reason you have to have the audio mixing option. It was a neat feature, but I guess the few of us who cared about extras really cared so most discs don't bother as it's a lot of effort.

2009 isn't too bad, there are still people who only got into Blu-Ray in 2015. And there are people who are insisting on buying the DVD version instead of the combo pack as they said they'd never upgrade.

There shouldn't be separate releases anymore. It should be combo packs or nothing. Just like there better not be separate UHD-BD releases at all.
post #56 of 72 Old 07-07-2015, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lozin View Post
There shouldn't be separate releases anymore. It should be combo packs or nothing. Just like there better not be separate UHD-BD releases at all.
The movie studios will package and attempt to sell whatever they think will maximize their own personal revenues & profits. Blu-ray never exceeded DVD volume sales, and never will. Streaming will surely take over all optical media sales before too very long (unfortunately). The bulk of the marketplace values convenience over quality.

A long-time audio/video addict!
post #57 of 72 Old 08-16-2015, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Just dropped off my A1 to Goodwill. I kept it around all of these years but finally today loaded it up and dropped it off. Kinda sad on some level.
post #58 of 72 Old 08-16-2015, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Too bad it wasn't an xa1, I'd take that from you for shipping....
post #59 of 72 Old 08-17-2015, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Ive got my xa1 in storage, was thinking about selling it or using it for my audio station
post #60 of 72 Old 08-17-2015, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Too bad it wasn't an xa1, I'd take that from you for shipping....
According to FoolintheRain "Just to let you know the electronics of both of the Tosh are the same. You just get a backlit remote, a motorized front cover, and the rs232 port, along with a heavier chasis"

Unless those differences are what's driving your decision why not just look for an A1?

Stace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page