pondering the hd format war - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes

post #61 of 72 Old 08-17-2015, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Already have the a1, and sorta want the serial port for easier hacking around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 72 Old 09-26-2015, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The format war is what brought me here and I was hardcore red. Why? Java sucks, encrypted media is a PITA, but finally a couple years ago players are cheap and powerful enough and the standard mature enough for it to be affordable. HD-DVD was the consumer's format. Blu-ray was the studio's. But hey, we got a nice scratch-resistant coating.

But now, we have streaming media: Ultraviolet, Amazon, itunes, etc etc. With Disc-to-digital I've been able to legitimately buy/convert movies for $1 a piece. I don't have the big money audiophile set up any more. AQ/PQ may not be as good but since the studios weren't really pushing that in the first place with discs full of DNR, bad encodes, etc in many cases I rather save money AND have a bigger collection.
post #63 of 72 Old 09-29-2015, 01:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 650 Post(s)
Liked: 432
I rooted for HD-DVD thinking it would be cheaper (and players of course were) and that Microsoft would natively support it in Vista Media Center (which never happened).

Like several others I bought the 360 drive and a lot of discs in 2010. I'm glad I archived them to MKV, as at least a third of them fail now.

My basement media room and bar
Epson 2030, Onkyo TX-NR626, and Kodi based system

Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma

post #64 of 72 Old 10-01-2015, 07:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
I haven't had any fail to play that weren't bad discs to begin with. The trouble discs I've had are all of the Harry Potter discs save Azkaban, Space Cowboys, and a few others. Most rip and play just fine.

This line intentionally left blank.
post #65 of 72 Old 10-09-2015, 09:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsoccer33 View Post
I rooted for HD-DVD thinking it would be cheaper (and players of course were) and that Microsoft would natively support it in Vista Media Center (which never happened).

Like several others I bought the 360 drive and a lot of discs in 2010. I'm glad I archived them to MKV, as at least a third of them fail now.
I converted all my HD DVDs to BD ISOs years ago and my Dunes play them flawlessly. I still have a brand new XA2 in the box in my attic. In a few more years I'll contact the Smithsonian to see if they want it for an exhibit.

I've paid for my sins. We're even!
post #66 of 72 Old 11-10-2015, 01:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked: 1845
I originally bought the A1, then after that the XA1 and the Onkyo version (plus I think it's an A2 I have as well). My Onkyo HD DVD player has worked flawlessly and still plays my large HD DVD collection (I can't be bothered with the time and expense of replacing them with Blu-Ray when the collection plays fine). I have a new-in-box XA1 and A2 that I thought I'd need as backup, but my Onkyo doesn't seem like it's giving up the ghost any time soon.
post #67 of 72 Old 11-12-2015, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Let me tell you about the High Def wars Sonny

I recall getting my first Toshiba A-1 player from some sort of third party promotion, some airline catalogue ?? that some member put up, boy was that exciting time, that box was beautiful, I remember running down to Best Buy, and Circuit City which had a so call sale on HD-DVD's I think I purchased Serenity first, alone with a few other.. AND WOW that picture looked like nothing I ever seen on my Pio 50incher in that time, it rival anything on broadcast networks, I was HOOKED! I did purchased an XA-1 Tosh down the road, which was even sexier, faster, featured packed than the A-1

I must had purchased a little over 200 disc, it was great, unit till that dreadful January !

We fought a good format war, but at the end it wasn't the consumer's out come that lead the decisive blow!

Djoel
post #68 of 72 Old 11-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked: 2791
I recall driving up to VE to pick up my new A1 from the initial shipment

He had so many A1's delivered he had to store many of them outside on the sidewalk in front of his store

Really a shame the way this whole thing went: I had no idea of the firestorm that would be created starting that day: I never intended to end up in the middle of it

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess this is a red flag issue
HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
Test Reports HDMI Cables that support 18GBPS&HDMI 2.0b
post #69 of 72 Old 11-14-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
I came into it late, in the sense that I pretty much knew the format war was lost.

I bought my HD-A35 just around the time that Toshiba punted. I was always going to go to both formats, and planned on an Oppo 83 (which I got in 2010). I figured that I could get a reasonably priced HD-A35 (around 250) and load up on very cheap very good movies.

So during the time when people were dropping 30 to 40 dollars on blurays, I was getting a library of about 300 titles (including 300), for about 4 dollars a piece. They are now mostly MKV's, played through an Oppo 103D, but I still play an HD-DVD every two weeks or so, and enjoy it as much as I did originally.

I really enjoyed the format, and have the discs still. The only weakness, and it's due to the time of printing is that about half have lossy audio, but it doesn't really take away from enjoying the movies.

I figure it's about the movies, so HD-DVD really worked out for me.
post #70 of 72 Old 11-14-2015, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 571 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I went into HD-DVD after seeing the initial tear down of the A1 showing it to be a full PC, so I bought it for that (especially with a $50 off $500 coupon from best buy), then bought a ps3 for the Blu-Ray. Because back then the cheapest Blu-Ray player was over $1000 and they were pretty bad. Preferred the format because Blu-Ray was quite awful - no extras or anything on the disc. As someone who loved extras, well, that left HD-DVD. It took Blu-Ray profile 2.0 to accomplish everything HD-DVD had at the get go and then it was only the ps3 that had that feature.
post #71 of 72 Old 11-23-2015, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
I went into HD-DVD after seeing the initial tear down of the A1 showing it to be a full PC, so I bought it for that (especially with a $50 off $500 coupon from best buy), then bought a ps3 for the Blu-Ray. Because back then the cheapest Blu-Ray player was over $1000 and they were pretty bad. Preferred the format because Blu-Ray was quite awful - no extras or anything on the disc. As someone who loved extras, well, that left HD-DVD. It took Blu-Ray profile 2.0 to accomplish everything HD-DVD had at the get go and then it was only the ps3 that had that feature.
I think Disney going bluRay was the death knell for HD, so to speak
post #72 of 72 Old 01-17-2016, 04:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I think there's a lot of rose colored glasses here.

First the mythical HD DVD 51 disc never materialized. We never did get answer if it was backwards compatible with the current players. The most likely scenario was that it was probably not and hence it was dropped. BD50 discs were working fine within a year or so of Blu-day's release.

Next money was being thrown from both camps. Paramount was dual support until late summer 2007. Toshiba paid them for sole support of HD-DVD to get the biggest money of that summer locked up on HD-DVD. I just find it funny how the HD DVD supporters discount the payouts that their camp made.

HD-DVD had an uphill climb from day one. They had limited hardware support and limited studio support initially. The studios played both Toshiba and Sony. The fact is that HD media may have died if they went much beyond 2007 without a winner declared.

The smoking gun in all of this was the PS3. After that console launched BD titles started taking the weekly sales charts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page