AVS Forum banner

HD-XA2 region free question

9K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  jra166 
#1 ·
#2 ·
It's kinda sorta legit, but you can get the same off AVS for free plus a few CDs.

You need 3 firmware updates - one of them downgrades you to 1.x, the next converts you to the HD-XE1 which is the region free Euro version presuming you want PAL playback as well. The third accomplishes the region free part. Edit: once done, then you apply the appropriate 4.0 update.

HD-DVDs are region free by default, so all you're doing is making the DVD side region free.

There's a thread in this forum all about it... With links. I found one that brought you to someone's one live account.

#5 ·
So I took the plunge and converted my XA2 to "region free" however there appears to be some exceptions to this. I have some older Region 1 Paramount titles and it appears all Region 1 Fox titles are unable to be played. Anyone know the reason for this? All other region 1 studios I've tried appear to play ok.

#6 · (Edited)
After making the player regionfree, and if you want to play a RCE encoded region 1 disc (like those from Fox), you will need to apply the RCE hack which is as follows:

RCE HACK.
1) Turn on player
2) Open tray, put disc in tray but don´t close
3) Push T.search on remote
4) Push 1, 3, 9 and "Region number" (e.g. 1 for US discs)
5) Push T.search on remote.

You will see TEST on your player

6) Press PLAY on the remote

When player is turned off, this setting is cleared.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.