Ideas of what to do with HD-DVD disc? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 11Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 07-18-2015, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Ideas of what to do with HD-DVD disc?

Hi fellows,
Back then when war between Bluray and HDDVD just started, I enlisted and fought on the HDDVD side and it ended up like everyone knows.
I bought a set of The Bourne Triology in HD-DVD format and it is still on the shelf for many years.
I don't have any HDDVD player or writer or reader to watch. I wanted to thrown it away but somehow still love it
I want to convert it to .mkv or .mp4. Does anyway I can do with it?
Appreciate all input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 07-18-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 162
You won't be able to do anything with them unless you have something that can actually read the discs. Cheaper to sell them and buy the BD versions. I couldn't even sell my Toshiba player and the discs I have left after trading them in for the Blu versions, so I just gave them to a relative.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo UDP-203, Roku Ultra.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB16-Ultra sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #3 of 35 Old 07-18-2015, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I know that I can't do a thing. Just wondering if there is any service that can convert those discs to .mkv.

post #4 of 35 Old 07-20-2015, 01:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked: 306
makemkv

This line intentionally left blank.
post #5 of 35 Old 07-21-2015, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
makemkv
???
R u just throwing out a random suggestion?
post #6 of 35 Old 07-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinhvo View Post
???
No.
post #7 of 35 Old 07-21-2015, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Hi fellows,
I don't have any HDDVD player or writer or reader to watch. I wanted to thrown it away but somehow still love it
Appreciate all input.
I saw an HD-DVD drive (xbox 360) at a thrift store for like $15. That sure is affordable to then be able to play/rip your HD-DVD collection. You don't need to abandon everything.
philmike21 and tinhvo like this.

Last edited by kitti; 07-21-2015 at 02:38 PM.
post #8 of 35 Old 07-21-2015, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I got a Bluray / HD DVD combo drive about 4 years ago and picked up a bunch of cheap movies. You could rip them with one of those, but not sure what they go for now. You wont be able to rip or view anything unless you get a player....
tinhvo likes this.
post #9 of 35 Old 07-24-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
???
No (makemkv), it's what you're asking for. Google it. Doesn't work on all discs though. I've ran into quite a few where it won't pull in the main feature or it won't even scan the disc. And this isn't just because of bad mastering or replication. So far, I have a stack that won't play in HD DVD players or rip; essentially coasters. A stack that will play in player but not rip and then the rest that will play and rip. The ones that bug me the most are the ones that play but don't rip. These, sometimes it's the main feature that's just missing from the title list, and some that will open the disc but then it won't open any titles. Then some don't even open or register as a disc at all.

BTW, HD DVD's seem to be encoded as 30p then have the 3:2 pulldown flag for players to playback at 24p, and makemkv doesn't remove that so they will show as 29.97. Another free app, handbrake, you can run it through, add any compression if you want to decrease size, or just remux and it will make it a pure 24 frame encode. FYI.

Last edited by tomtastic; 07-24-2015 at 10:59 PM.
post #10 of 35 Old 07-25-2015, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks for providing input, tomtastic but I think you've misunderstood my point.
Firstly, like others said, I can't do a thing with those HDDVD discs if I don't have any reader/player device.
Secondly, when I said "service" I meant someone who provide the service.
AFAIK, makemkv is a software tool to rip the disc content to HDD. Again, I don't have any reader to begin with.
Unless I misunderstand the "makemkv" that you've mentioned, I apologize.
post #11 of 35 Old 07-25-2015, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you have a VUDU account you can take the disks into Walmart and do a disk to digital. I've been meaning to do this myself.
tinhvo likes this.
post #12 of 35 Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Why not sell the movie and use the proceeds to buy it in Blu Ray?

Unless the HD DVD version is better in some way (possible since the Blu Ray can be just Dolby digital while the HD DVD is Dolby digital plus), that would seem the easiest and probably cost the least...
post #13 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for providing input, tomtastic but I think you've misunderstood my point.
Firstly, like others said, I can't do a thing with those HDDVD discs if I don't have any reader/player device.
Secondly, when I said "service" I meant someone who provide the service.
AFAIK, makemkv is a software tool to rip the disc content to HDD. Again, I don't have any reader to begin with.
Unless I misunderstand the "makemkv" that you've mentioned, I apologize.
I guess it would depend on how many discs you have, whether or not it would be worth it. If you only have a few, just throw them in the recycle bin and buy the Blu rays. You won't get diddly for them if you sell them now. If you have hundreds as in my case, it would be worth while to invest in an Xbox drive which you can get for 10.00 or so then make your own digital copies. Aside from Vudu disc to digital service, no one will do this for you.

post #14 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
If you have a VUDU account you can take the disks into Walmart and do a disk to digital. I've been meaning to do this myself.
Care to elaborate, please?

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #15 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess it would depend on how many discs you have, whether or not it would be worth it. If you only have a few, just throw them in the recycle bin and buy the Blu rays. You won't get diddly for them if you sell them now. If you have hundreds as in my case, it would be worth while to invest in an Xbox drive which you can get for 10.00 or so then make your own digital copies. Aside from Vudu disc to digital service, no one will do this for you.
Does it have anything to do with "makemkv" as you suggested earlier?
post #16 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenisG View Post
Oh, that's sweet.
I've never heard of Vudu service.
Do you know they can convert 1080p and passthru hifi audio tracks from HDDVD disc?
post #17 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:17 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Why not sell the movie and use the proceeds to buy it in Blu Ray?

Unless the HD DVD version is better in some way (possible since the Blu Ray can be just Dolby digital while the HD DVD is Dolby digital plus), that would seem the easiest and probably cost the least...
Buddy, I'm not gonna to sell any. Who would want to buy it anyway? As I said previously, I was about to thrown it away but just the love of it, I keep holding it back
And I don't think that HDDVD is any better than Bluray, in fact, it should be worse. Again, time to throw it away but ............
post #18 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Oh, that's sweet.
I've never heard of Vudu service.
Do you know they can convert 1080p and passthru hifi audio tracks from HDDVD disc?
Right now their highest quality is 1080p DD+ which is alot of HDDVDs.
post #19 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
Care to elaborate, please?
VUDU is an ultraviolet steaming service that is owned by Walmart. It is free to create an account. If you activate those digital copies that come with Blu-Ray movies then you own them in the ultraviolet locker and can stream them threw services like VUDU and flixster. It only costs you money if you rent, buy or convert movies. You can disk to digital from home, which I have done for a bunch of Blu-Rays, but I have to go to Walmart for my HDDVDs since I don't have a PC HDDVD drive. http://www.vudu.com/disc_to_digital.html
VUDU also has a share my movies with up to 5 people which is nice. I'm sharing my collection with a few family members, so they have their own log ins.
JP32 and Squirrel! like this.
post #20 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I take a look at the site and there is no where mentioning about HD-DVD, is it the in-store Walmart only?
The $5 option is DVD-to hi-def though.
post #21 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 10:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I take a look at the site and there is no where mentioning about HD-DVD, is it the in-store Walmart only?
The store can do HDDVD disk to digital, it falls under Blu-Ray pricing of $2.00 a disk since it is a high def disk. Like I said, I don't have an HDDVD drive for my PC so I have not been able to try from home. I did see some where that someone did the HDDVD in store conversion and it was $2.00 a disk in full HD (Blu-Ray pricing).
tinhvo likes this.
post #22 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Quote:
DVD as in home movies on DVD or actual DVD movies to HD Blu-ray? If the latter, it seems that would somehow be a copyright infringement.

Main: Mitsubishi 73736 DLP|OTA|fireTV|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-4311CI|MartinLogan Preface|Phantom|MartinLogan Encore TF|2 - DIY Class G 540w 12" Subs|2 Aura Bass Shakers|APC H15|Harmony 720|TP-Link Archer C7|Linksys SE2500|50+ OTA Channels

MBR: Vizio VF550M|OTA|fireTVstick 2|Sony BDP-S1100|Denon AVR-X1000|Chane A1rx-c|Phantom|Dayton Audio SAT-BK|MartinLogan Dynamo 300|Belkin PF30|Belkin Bridge|Harmony 550
post #23 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Just go on ebay and buy a used hd-dvd player, problem solved. I have about 50 hd-dvds and still have my Toshiba player in my rack. Ill bust out an hd-dvd disc once in a while to watch lol.
post #24 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel! View Post
DVD as in home movies on DVD or actual DVD movies to HD Blu-ray? If the latter, it seems that would somehow be a copyright infringement.
To do the disk to digital, you show that yes you do own the movie and want a digital copy for a few dollars. To upgrade is like trading in your DVD for Blu-Ray at a higher price premium. I know Wal-Mart's vudu and flixster has disk to digital. Not sure about best buys cinemanow. I'm sure the studio's would raise hell if they were not on board with the ultra violet locker.
post #25 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 08:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 570 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Quote:
Buddy, I'm not gonna to sell any. Who would want to buy it anyway? As I said previously, I was about to thrown it away but just the love of it, I keep holding it back
And I don't think that HDDVD is any better than Bluray, in fact, it should be worse. Again, time to throw it away but ............
Well, there's always eBay which seems to sell discs for $5 each or so, and you can try selling it in the classifieds. HD-DVD players still go for $100 ish or so. So there's a market, surprisingly.

I would get it if i was interested, and if I didn't already have it.
post #26 of 35 Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Does it have anything to do with "makemkv" as you suggested earlier?
Not sure what you mean. I'll spell it out for you, if you google it, it's pretty simple to do. makemkv is a free (while in beta) program you can run to extract the movie file into a raw mkv container. You can then watch your movies without a player on your favorite media server, like WMP, XBMC, PLEX, etc. But in your case, if you only have a few, and you don't already have a usb HD DVD drive, it may not be worth it when you factor in the cost of the drive just to rip a few movies. Just dump them and move on. Unless you have some rare titles, but the Borne Trilogy was mass produced, no shortage there, you won't be able to sell them locally, no brick and mortar places will buy them. So your only option is eBay or Amazon and all the HD DVD collectors already have The Borne Trilogy by now. If you were selling the Jack Ryan set (which I have), I'm sure you could get at least 100.00 for it.

post #27 of 35 Old 07-27-2015, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. I'll spell it out for you, if you google it, it's pretty simple to do. makemkv is a free (while in beta) program you can run to extract the movie file into a raw mkv container. You can then watch your movies without a player on your favorite media server, like WMP, XBMC, PLEX, etc. But in your case, if you only have a few, and you don't already have a usb HD DVD drive, it may not be worth it when you factor in the cost of the drive just to rip a few movies. Just dump them and move on. Unless you have some rare titles, but the Borne Trilogy was mass produced, no shortage there, you won't be able to sell them locally, no brick and mortar places will buy them. So your only option is eBay or Amazon and all the HD DVD collectors already have The Borne Trilogy by now. If you were selling the Jack Ryan set (which I have), I'm sure you could get at least 100.00 for it.
LOL
I got it. You thought I didn't know about the MakeMKV tool so you had suggested.
Thanks for your input but it's not helping, m8
post #28 of 35 Old 07-27-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Bowing out on this one. Not that hard to figure out. If you just have a few discs, toss em. End of story. You're really making this a big issue which it's really simple.

Then you claim to know about makemkv but your original post asked for a tool to convert specifically to .mkv. So why did you ask in the first place?

post #29 of 35 Old 07-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 1397
He asked for a service not a tool. He clearly said he has no drive to read the discs. The best advice was to take them to Walmart to see what they could do.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.

Oppo UDP-203 -> Yamaha CX-A5100 -> Sony XBR-75X940C; Mediabridge 6' and 15' HDMI cables.
post #30 of 35 Old 07-28-2015, 01:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I guess this confused me then from the first post:
Quote:
Asking for a way to convert to mkv or mp4 sounded like a tool to me. Yes there's VUDU, it's cloud based, not quite the same as having the content locally. Those aren't really converted anyway, you're just enabling access to them online after you prove ownership.
JP32 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page