Desperately need help with my XA-1 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-01-2015, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Desperately need help with my XA-1

Hello, I have recently received an XA-1 HD-DVD Player and I'm having trouble getting it to play actual HD-DVD Discs.

The player will only play standard DVD's at the moment. Every time I put an HD-DVD disc in, I get the HD-DVD logo briefly like it recognizes the disc but then I get a message on the LED panel that says "NO PLAY." The player locks up and I can't even eject the disc without power cycling it.

I've tried several different discs with the same result. I tried to update the firmware by burning the ISO image on a CD-R disc but then I get a message that says that it can't play CD's.

I have yet to try connecting it to the internet with an ethernet connection. That is what I'm going to try next.

If that doesn't work, are there any suggestions on what I can do to get this rig up and running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-01-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 139
You could try a lens cleaning disc. I'm have very little confidence in them, but it is worth a shot I suppose.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-02-2015, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have a HD-A1 like that but with DVDs. The answer I received years ago was that the DVD-ROM was dead/malfunctioning. Hard lock freezes every time with DVDs after a "No Play" or "No Disc" message.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-07-2015, 03:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankoman77 View Post
Hello, I have recently received an XA-1 HD-DVD Player and I'm having trouble getting it to play actual HD-DVD Discs.

The player will only play standard DVD's at the moment. Every time I put an HD-DVD disc in, I get the HD-DVD logo briefly like it recognizes the disc but then I get a message on the LED panel that says "NO PLAY." The player locks up and I can't even eject the disc without power cycling it.

I've tried several different discs with the same result. I tried to update the firmware by burning the ISO image on a CD-R disc but then I get a message that says that it can't play CD's.

I have yet to try connecting it to the internet with an ethernet connection. That is what I'm going to try next.

If that doesn't work, are there any suggestions on what I can do to get this rig up and running?

Can't believe I saw this thread. I was just going to post the exact same type of thing.

I just typed a big story response to your thread as I am an original XA1 owner and hit the wrong button and blew it up, so here's a double angry retype. Tried burning both CD-Rom and DVD-R discs and the former says NOT A DVD , can't run for CD-R, and it says NO DISC when burning a DVD-R and inserting that.

SO I took my old vr. 2.0 update disc to be sure my player is reading correct and it's running just fine RIGHT NOW in the player. My IT guys said the file may be corrupt from the Tosh website................

I spoke with Phillipines for a few hours over the last 2 days.............useless.............I'm so friggin mad right now.................

Any ideas? I too noticed you can do update over Ethernet cable, but I've never done that and looking at the manual page 45, I'm wondering if all the selections are to show up in the DVD display window or what.............

If you have any luck or anyone please text me your ph or email so I can get an idea. 978-502-0174. I believe a factory made update disc for 4.0 would work if we could get one. I also have 2 NIB HD-A2's that I wanted a 4.0 update for. I'd like to try Toshiba in America if we could get someone, who has worked with TOSH long enough to know how to help us.

This is like the trying to get Tech help in the middle of a Walking Dead Episode for this stuff.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-26-2016, 04:20 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If your still looking for the firmware let me know as when we move in July I'll check in my XA2 part box. I should have the factory 4.0 disk in there.

My stuff is old, but it still works well. Apparently AVS finds it to old to keep in their database but I'm still happy with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page