post #91 of 94 Old 04-16-2005, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by amillians
Cross licensing doesn't solve the replication economies of scale issue for either camp.
We are not trying to solve those problems.... In a market where you can have LOTR but not Star Wars....most consumers will have neither...

Mr. Stringer and I are focused on the consumers point of view...see below....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 94 Old 04-16-2005, 10:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally posted by WriteSimple
Toshiba and Warner would see no incentive on this for one simple reason.

Once the production of both HD-DVD and BD goes to full capacity, and the market has dual-HD disc format recorders, nobody in their right mind would wanna buy HD-DVD-R to record on. If a) the supposed price difference between BD and DVD is in the "cents," b) there's not much production change to press BD-ROM, BD-R and BD-RW (unlike HD-DVD-R and HD-DVD-RW), and c) there's not much marketing needed for single- and dual-layer BD-R/RW (as compared to movies), people are going to wonder why they need to pay about the same price for a blank HD-DVD and a blank BD.

As far as pre-recorded movies are concerned, this won't matter. But again, eventually the market will decide the outcome of this too when people whine that they'd really want the Lord Of The Rings: Extended Editions, with all the audio options and supplementary materials, to come in one disc-per-movie only.

If Toshiba and Warner agrees to do this, the market - particularly the early adopters - would decide that HD-DVD is really of no use. It may be gone in five years after the "merger" of formats.

fuad
Maybe you have just hit on Mr. Stringer's plan! To support the other side so we can see just how irrelevant it is!

I have always felt that Warner's position and that of Toshiba and NEC as well was not about any of the things that we talk about here...for them it's only about the $$$. In the beginning I think they hoped that Sony and the other members of the BR group would find something in their plans to be interested in and offer $$ for licensing. Didn't happen.....putting aside my personal belief that's because there is nothing interesting about HD-DVD for a minute- at this late hour- it's no longer about who best, it's about can we do this in a way that everyone can win. If we can not we are headed for a war that will be costly for all. As with every war there will be blood spilled on both sides. So I think the late discussions are not about the logical reasons that we might offer- they are about can we come up with some way for us all to get some of what we want.

Thats were my proposal comes in.....The consumer wins because no matter who provides the movie they want he/she can play it. Both side's of the content argument win because they have the TOTAL HDDVD market to work with not just their sides users. The CE's win because this gives 1 less reason to overcome (a format war) to sell equipment. It should be noted that one of the HD-DVD's sides weaknesses is their lack of the big name CE's ....they are all BR....

But back to my analogy about DVD+- R/RW....There was stalemate in that market due to a format war...I felt + was better but I DID NOT vote with my money until +- drives came out and now look where we are in that product....drives falling off the shelves at $70 or less, Media for both sides widely available and both sides are making $$$...in the end that is what it's all about
post #93 of 94 Old 04-16-2005, 07:05 PM
nyg
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by ADGrant
BTW The fact that VCD outsold Laserdisc does not bode well for the HD disc formats even how much better LD looked than VCD.
The cost of laserdiscs was much more than that of a VCD. Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are expected to be priced not much more than DVDs are. Paramount has stated there HD-DVDs will be only $20-30 each. Not bad and certainly not enough to scare new customers away IMO.
post #94 of 94 Old 04-17-2005, 09:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
Todd agree and disagree, I think universal DVD writers has helped but I think if there was only one standard there would be even more. The thing is none of this is provable
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page