Closed Thread

post #61 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 03:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"no one has portable DVD players or DVD players in their cars........"

Well I'd not go that far, it's the new wave for the "kids" to watch in the back seat of your new "high $$$" SUV, factory installed and all (so you don't have to watch them [the kids], I guess), I just can't see HD versions which would cost way more going over very well. Who knows?

On the "call home" issue, it was a very big thing in the HTPC forum, the M$ "T2" offering comes to mind. I did not know others (here) might wonder about this also, when M$ got into HD-DVD ;-0 MPAA being the control freaks they are.

We'll see how this all works out, right now it's much the mystery to most possible end users, with roll out 6-9 months away.

It is "WOW" TV!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 03:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amirm
Trailergod, the video will be 1080p@24 for film content (as with DVD, interlaced content will be encoded as interlaced). Not sure what the actual output on typical CE equipment will be. PCs of course, naturally put out 1080p. Let's hope CE equipment does the same.....

thanks for the info amirm :-)

just last one question, will HD-DVDs be barebone? Will they simply port the bonus material from the DVD to the HD version ? I mean simply copy them in pure mpeg2 form in SD quality, makes no difference to upconvert them coz most movies have bonus material from video/old sources.

So does this mean the bonus materials would actually only use up around 4GB or even less if its gonna be transcoded to mpeg4/VC-1.

I am sure and hopefully HD-DVD will have bonus material or even new material made for it, coz until now the favorite selling point (bonus material) of most DVDs to most people are the deleted scenes....

OCEAN'S TWELVE for example has been released WORLDWIDE on DVD with only the movie !!! no bonus, this this mean the HD-DVD will have the bonus material and the DVD won't have ?
post #63 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I just can't see HD versions which would cost way more going over very well. Who knows?
the problem is you are thinking today and not 2-3 years down the line when they will be much cheaper. No one had DVDs in the car a few years ago and the first portable DVD players were beyond luxury. The point is one day further down the line there will be no more DVDs and peoples collections will be 2g and when that happens everyone will want a 2g player with them instead of a DVD player. The problem is that if the tech forces a call home today it will force it when those things come to market and are affordable
post #64 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 12:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikey p
"no one has portable DVD players or DVD players in their cars........"

Well I'd not go that far, it's the new wave for the "kids" to watch in the back seat of your new "high $$$" SUV, factory installed and all (so you don't have to watch them [the kids], I guess), I just can't see HD versions which would cost way more going over very well. Who knows?
OK, I admit it, I had it put in wife's minivan. You can get them for $300 or so these days (don't have to be factory installed any more), takes 30 minutes to install. Great for going on long trips with kids. I see them in a lot of SUVs/minivans around here. The DirecTV mobile system is tempting, but I digress...

No law says the display has to be HD when playing the new HD discs.

Keith Jack
Sigma Designs
BD, IPTV, HDTV decoder supplier
Blog: http://www.keithjack.net
post #65 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

"....the first portable DVD players were beyond luxury........"

Thanks, but funny, as I never looked at it that way ;-)

OTOH; I wish I had got a wide screen laptop, it would have been much more useful in the long run.

As for HD optical the news seems be be they are trying to work out a deal with ONE format, and that's worth waiting a little longer for. If their talking about that issue, they got to know an repeat of SACD / DVD-A would cause HD optical to be still born very quickly. This has to make me wonder if all the other threats will not happen either?

It is "WOW" TV!
post #66 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 01:09 PM
AVS Special Member

"No law says the display has to be HD when playing the new HD discs."

OK, with news of the peace pipe about to be passed around, who knows these issues may all be moot, one can hope.

It is "WOW" TV!
post #67 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I am guessing that even if there is one format it won't change much so no moot issues
post #68 of 69 Old 04-21-2005, 10:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Trailergod, I don't know what the studios will do with secondary material. I suspect a lot of will be re-encoded as they would have to reformat them anyway for HD-DVD/BD. As part of that, I am sure they will try to make them look better if they could. But I am just guessing here.

Amir

Amir
Founder, Madrona Digital
"Insist on Quality Engineering"

post #69 of 69 Old 04-22-2005, 03:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amir, ohh ok thanks for the info
Closed Thread HD DVD Players