Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-19-2005, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After I Googled your query, I found out the answer.

And it is -

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #3 of 24 Old 06-20-2005, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 40
Fuad

Thanks, when I searched, all I could find was DTS++

So we will have Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD. Now, if we only knew when it would make sense to think seriously about upgrading. Well, let's see. How long before Blockbuster has HD-DVDs? 3 years minimum perhaps.
post #4 of 24 Old 06-20-2005, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
DTS++ was the original name. DTS issued a press release a few months ago officially changing the name to DTS-HD.

Regarding upgrade timing, I'd say you're at least a year away. No discs currently exist that are encoded with DD+ or DTS-HD. No players currently exist that can read those discs. No receivers currently feature DD+ or DTS-HD decoding.

We're supposed to get discs and players starting at the end of the year (HD-DVD) and in the spring of next year (Blu-Ray). Perhaps we'll see the receivers sometime around the middle of next year.

Even still, I'll probably wait six months to a year after that, just to see how the chips all fall.

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #5 of 24 Old 06-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Here's the official page
» http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/dtshd.php

Andre
post #6 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Advanced Member

I think it's safe to assume the players will do the decoding so we don't have to buy a new receiver. However, if the HD players don't play SACD or DVD-A discs, we might need a switchbox to get all of those analog outputs into our receivers.
post #7 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think it is safe to assume that
post #8 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
Yeah, seriously, why would Pioneer, for example, go to the added expense of adding a bunch of analog outputs to their player when they can just make you buy a new DTS-HD receiver as well? I can't remember the last time I saw a DVD player with 5.1 analog outs, so the track record is not so good here.
post #9 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyn00b
Yeah, seriously, why would Pioneer, for example, go to the added expense of adding a bunch of analog outputs to their player when they can just make you buy a new DTS-HD receiver as well? I can't remember the last time I saw a DVD player with 5.1 analog outs, so the track record is not so good here.
I think he means that the HD-DVD and BD players must be able to channel the 1536 Mbps DTS bitrate to the coax/optical. Certainly DTS HD is built that way so that you don't have multiple DTS data streams.

fuad

"DonÂt let them tell you who you are is not enough, that itÂs wrong and that you wonÂt find love. DonÂt let them use my life to put your future down, or tell you that happiness canÂt be found."
post #10 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
Quote:
– As a mandatory technology in the next generation standards, a DTS decoder will be built into every HD-DVD or Blu-ray Disc player.
Think again...
post #11 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

They will be able to decode DTS and DD but that doesn't mean they will do DTS-HD or the best DD+ rez.

I have a feeling they'll can coax and optical outs and have cheap analog out sections like typical DVD players, but only the lossless hi rez audio formats will be sent out over HDMI cable.

But... maybe they'll output over cheap analog outs? I don't think we know yet.

A big flaw in the current high rez formats DVD-A and SACD of course is that mostly they aren't getting sent out digital cables into Recs. or pre/pros that can process it with the kind of quality that's demanded of hi rez audio.
post #12 of 24 Old 06-23-2005, 08:41 PM

http://news.designtechnica.com/featured_article25.html

If you go to page three of this article it states that Toshiba's first HD-DVD player will have a Dolbly Digital and DTS HD 5.1 decoder built in. Does this not mean a receiver with 6 channel inputs could power at least some form of the new audio streams?
post #13 of 24 Old 06-24-2005, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyn00b
If memory serves, MOST of the first generation of DVD players did the DD decoding and recievers were advertised as DolbyDigital Ready meaning they had the analog 5.1 inputs. This was before SACD went multichannel or perhaps even around in it 2 channel form. You can probably even still find on eBay DD decoders that went between DVD players and recievers.

I think we will see decoding in the players at least in the first units, and maybe longer........I mean we still have no standard digital output for SACD/DVD-A.

I've seen things you wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
post #14 of 24 Old 06-24-2005, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W

If you go to page three of this article it states that Toshiba's first HD-DVD player will have a Dolbly Digital and DTS HD 5.1 decoder built in. Does this not mean a receiver with 6 channel inputs could power at least some form of the new audio streams?
Yeah, but just because there is a decoder chip, that does not guarantee that you will get outputs for all channels. They could very easily include decoding that is automatically downmixed to a stereo analog output - this seems to be the scheme for most of the DVD players I've seen lately.
post #15 of 24 Old 06-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_W

That's funny because Dolby Digital Plus and normal DTS are mandatory(dts HD optional), so why would they put a dts HD decoder and not a Dolby Digital Plus?
post #16 of 24 Old 06-25-2005, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but just because there is a decoder chip, that does not guarantee that you will get outputs for all channels. They could very easily include decoding that is automatically downmixed to a stereo analog output - this seems to be the scheme for most of the DVD players I've seen lately.
Exactly why I made sure to say
Quote:
could power some form of new audio
streams
Quote:
That's funny because Dolby Digital Plus and normal DTS are mandatory(dts HD optional), so why would they put a dts HD decoder and not a Dolby Digital Plus?
I found that odd too. One could chalk it up to press release confusion or to not having the right terminology down.
post #17 of 24 Old 06-25-2005, 11:59 AM

Guys, just remember what Richard Doherty (ex-BDA member) said in the Latest HiDef News thread.

Both DTS-HD and DD+ are backwards compatible. This means you will be able to listen to a DTS-HD track on your actual receiver. And the CE companies cannot push you to buy a new receiver to listen to your BD/HD-DVD movies (unless you want the advantages of these new audio formats).

Neither BD or HD-DVD will require a DTS-HD or DD+ decoder. But since these tracks are backwards compatible, any BD/HD-DVD player will be able to decode DTS-HD as DTS and DD+ as DD. That means, for example, you could have a BluRay disc with a DTS-HD track only (and no other track) and this disc will play on all BD players and receivers.

Andre
post #18 of 24 Old 06-25-2005, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

backwards compatible does not mean that. What it means is that if you have a disk with DTS-HD (or DD+) and connect your player to a receiver that only has (DTS and DD) what will happen is it will only read the DTS (DD part and ignore the rest. So yes you have a choice to upgrade or not, but if you don't you don't get the HD or + benefit but just the old DTS and DD
post #19 of 24 Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 PM

That's exactely what I meant. The player, however, is required to decode only the "old" part of DTS and DD, no matter it is DTS-HD / DD+ or not.

Andre
post #20 of 24 Old 08-11-2005, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Are there any current pre/pros that can 'decode' the expanded bitrate and Mhz of DD+ or DTS-HD?
post #21 of 24 Old 08-12-2005, 08:30 AM
Advanced Member

Has anyone actually heard something encoded in DD+ or DTS-HD? If so, how does it compare to DD/DTS -- is it obviously better or is impossible to distinguish the new formats from the old formats?

Thanks!

Beer. So much more than just a breakfast drink!
post #22 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
The only parts of the specs. that concern me are high resolution Dolby Digital Lossless (the new branding of Meridian Lossless Packing) and DTS-HD Lossless modes, and on Blu-Ray the addition of uncompressed LPCM high res. tracks too... all three can go up to 8 channel discrete by the way, and up to 24/192 resolution. Except for HD-DVD all three audio options are available, with HD-DVD it's sans uncompressed LPCM as it doesn't have the bitrate capacity or the room.

Lossy codecs can go take a flying leap. I'd be absolutely torked if you have HD discs that can do both high bitrate video and audio, and they still skimp on the audio part due to wanting to cram a ton of extras on the discs too.

Also, HD-DVD (at least pre-recorded studio discs) has been delayed until next year with Time-Warner now making noises as if they're rethinking HD-DVD and wanting to talk to the Blu-Ray camp again for negotiations (the head of their video department does not want a format war, it seems). Time-Warner's biggest supplier of discs, Cinram, is telling them to compromise or no discs will be stamped from them. Cinram has both new HD-DVD/DVD and Blu-Ray stamper lines.

Look for all of these audio and video formats (along with SACD/DSD and DVD-Audio/LPCM) to go through encrypted HDMI connections, with the regular lossy tracks and constricted resolution stereo LPCM also going through coaxial and toslink optical as before. Analog component video will more than likely be downrezed due to copy protection measures... draconian copy protection measures.

Receivers and pre-amps may start coming out with these formats included as soon as the manufacturers and chip supplier companies get a lock from both parties as to what version of HDMI switching they need and the codes from DTS, Dolby Digital, and whatever party controls LPCM standards to embed in their chips (along with their own software control). I'd say late next year or early 2007 unless there is breakthrough news during this year's CEDIA and/or the CES '06.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #23 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 01:10 PM

So you're saying that we will have to wait till late next year at the earliest to be able to buy a receiver to connect HDMI for lossless audio? So we will have to have lossy audio when we buy PS3?

Onkyo 818, Emotiva Amp
B&W CT700 Series Speakers, (2) PowerSound Audio XS30s
Custom HTPC running Mediabrowser, 12TB Server for storage
post #24 of 24 Old 08-14-2005, 10:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 263
I'm saying that, yes. The studios will not allow high resolution audio and video through any other connection other than HDMI (and there is no bandwidth room anyway), except maybe analog (and you need a receiver or pre-amp that will have a 5.1 to 7.1 analog bypass input just like with lower end SA-CD and DVD-Audio players), but that means the player must have all the new formats in its decoder on board.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page