Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 07-26-2005, 11:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
if the DVD forum would have said "our mandate is DVD and anything with a blue laser is not DVD and so the BRG has the mandate for the next generation disk" that would have done it as well. It takes two to have a war.
Oh god you truly are the master of spin and revisionist history.

Quote:
no, but they seem to have their act together much more the the DVD-forum. Everything important is in there and no one has said that there will be any devices before the spec is finalized
So you're saying future recordable specs are not important? Can I play future 4L BRE on a PS3? Heck they don't even know how they should go about in applying a cover layer. Yeah they got their act together alright...

Quote:
diminishing returns means exactly that a function that has diminishing returns is a function that the slope decreases as X increases. The point of diminishing returns is an imaginary threshold where because of the slope of the function you need a delta in X that is too big and not worth the cost or effort (or whatever you are considering) to make a significant difference in Y. It never means there will not be a difference in Y. For instance (since you have said you are an engineer) If you are designing something where precision is not as essential and you need to use pi you could use 3 and skip on some calculations, that will be your point of diminishing returns the effort needed to calculate more decimal places is not worth it, it does not mean that using 3.1416 would not give you better (more precise) results. And it does not mean that 3.14159265358979 won't be better. But since pi is irrational you will never b able to use the full value for computations and so at some point you need to call it quits.
Haha nice cut a paste job, too bad it means very little. Once you pass a certain point and can't perceive any difference, there is no need to go further for the sake of bigger numbers. Feel free to play the numbers game, while the experts laugh at you.

Quote:
The thing is at this point we have two formats one of witch can offer something better. that makes HD-DVDs point useless. The same as pi. if I calculated by hand and using three was good enough I would use 3, but if I use a simple calculator and needed to push in the buttons I could decide to use 3.1416 and if the calculator has a pi button I would just use the value it has even if I don't need that much precision because there is no extra effort
I think the fact TW is releasing movies on HD DVD is enough for a lot of people to support it. It's your choice to wait years for TW movies on BR if ever. I truly feel sorry for you.
post #93 of 98 Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Haha nice cut a paste job, too bad it means very little.
FYI all typed, no cut and paste, when you actually know what you are talking about it is not needed.

Quote:
Once you pass a certain point and can't perceive any difference, there is no need to go further for the sake of bigger numbers.
the problem is we are no where near that point, not to mention that even if we were near that point with today’s tech it does not mean that in three years a projector won't be good enough to show the flaws. Didn't that happen with DVD? when it came out and we were using 20" TVs it was OK, 10years later it is hooked up to a 120" projected image and looks like crap

PS obviously if you use a 24" screen the value of good enough is tainted by size

Quote:
Feel free to play the numbers game, while the experts laugh at you.
well have not found an expert that does that, or that can guarantee that at 20mbps or 30mbps has 0 chance of looking better then 8mbps using the same codec

Quote:
I think the fact TW is releasing movies on HD DVD is enough for a lot of people to support it. It's your choice to wait years for TW movies on BR if ever. I truly feel sorry for you.
love their movies, but won't let the greed of any company dictate what I do.
post #94 of 98 Old 07-27-2005, 08:14 AM

Quote:
FYI all typed, no cut and paste, when you actually know what you are talking about it is not needed.
It was sarcasm in case you didn't get it...

Quote:
the problem is we are no where near that point, not to mention that even if we were near that point with today’s tech it does not mean that in three years a projector won't be good enough to show the flaws. Didn't that happen with DVD? when it came out and we were using 20" TVs it was OK, 10years later it is hooked up to a 120" projected image and looks like crap
We're near that point with respect to 1920x1080 resolution displays. When 2K displays become available, we can talk about needing more space for movies.

Quote:
love their movies, but won't let the greed of any company dictate what I do.
The irony is that greed was the main reason why the BDA formed their own group. They didn't want to share the royalties.
post #95 of 98 Old 07-27-2005, 09:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The irony is that greed was the main reason why the BDA formed their own group. They didn't want to share the royalties.

I never said any company on the BR side is not greedy. The simple truth is all companies are greedy, the ones that were not don't last. it is a job of every company to make as much profit as possible, if there is a benefit to people that is a bonus. If TW decides not to make BR now or ever, that is their tough luck and a decision made because of greed. I don't need to accept it and give in, I can live without their movies on HD-DVD. Like I said, I can start with movies from Sony and Disney and most likely Fox and then add movies from Paramount and Universal when they add BR to their collection and when TW gives in, I will buy their movies as well. Like I said, greed is not a bad thing, but I am greedy too, and won't part with my money that easily
post #96 of 98 Old 07-27-2005, 09:47 AM

Prepare to wait a very long time.
post #97 of 98 Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

my guess not as long as you think. But aren't you in the same boat with movies from other studios or will you buy both?
post #98 of 98 Old 07-27-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyP
my guess not as long as you think. But aren't you in the same boat with movies from other studios or will you buy both?
There are obviously some movies from SONY studios that I would like to have in HD, but the numbers are very few compared to the titles offered by Paramount, Universal, and TW. Fox hasn't committed any titles. I'm not really interested in Disney movies. If end of next year Fox releases must have titles along with SONY must haves then I will probably buy a BR drive for my PC. Personally I'm hoping TSST releases a dual format BR/HD DVD drive.
Closed Thread HD DVD Players

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page