post #4981 of 5103 Old 12-28-2007, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia View Post

So does anyone know what hidef audio codecs the old A1 / XA1 passes via multichannel PCM?

I think it passes only non-hidef audio via bitstream.
But, does it internally decode all hidef audio variants?
And passes all of them via PCM?
And outputs them as analog?

If not, whats the actual situation with multichannel PCM on A1 / XA1?

I know they do Dolby True HD (I have both the A-1 and the XA-1), via both PCM/HDMI and analog Multi-channel.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4982 of 5103 Old 12-28-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumanMedia View Post

So does anyone know what hidef audio codecs the old A1 / XA1 passes via multichannel PCM?

I think it passes only non-hidef audio via bitstream.
But, does it internally decode all hidef audio variants?
And passes all of them via PCM?
And outputs them as analog?

If not, whats the actual situation with multichannel PCM on A1 / XA1?

It decodes internally and will output via PCM and analogs DD, DD+, DTS TruHD, and LPCM. It will not do DTS HD or DTS HD MA.

Of the formats it does do, you can use any of the sound codecs and bitstream via Toslnk as a DTS signal. It has an internal DTS encoder that will convert any of the availbale codecs to DTS. For example, you can select TruHD, set the player to bitstream, and it will convert it to 5.1 DTS. Analog outs will always decode with no translation the soundtrack you chose regradless of the PCM/Bitstream setting.

To get 5.1 PCM you must use HDMI, toslnk will not pass it. Hope that helps.
post #4983 of 5103 Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

I just received the 2.4 firmware update disc from Toshiba in the mail.
Anyone have any experience with it yet?

to each his own...
post #4984 of 5103 Old 12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slogun View Post

I just received the 2.4 firmware update disc from Toshiba in the mail.
Anyone have any experience with it yet?

I did my update over the web a couple of weeks ago...

Don't really "know" what it was supposed to have changed... they probably have some info on Toshiba's web site I just have not bothered looking.

However, I have noticed that my "load" times seem to be quite a bit quicker on both my A-1 and XA-1.... or I am just getting more senile and don't notice the time anymore.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #4985 of 5103 Old 12-31-2007, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I also received the disk from Tosh today and will load it and can't harm it I suppose. Perhaps somebody that has loaded it and found out what firmware upgrade is all about will chime in???

Ralph
post #4986 of 5103 Old 12-31-2007, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapper View Post

I also received the disk from Tosh today and will load it and can't harm it I suppose. Perhaps somebody that has loaded it and found out what firmware upgrade is all about will chime in???

I did the upgrade over the ethernet port but the only thing I see it did for the problems I was having was on Superman returns it did not hang on the scenes right after Lois and Superman return from their flight together and some dual layer +R dvds that I have copied would stop on the layer change and now they do not. Nothing major with menu items or anything like that but probably just stability and playback issues. Some have said the bass/subwoofer response through the analog outs is better also with transformers.
post #4987 of 5103 Old 01-09-2008, 06:17 PM

i'm using my hda1 as a cd-player & an upscaling sd-dvd player. it is now temporarily hooked-up to an old jvc tv via s-video.

seems i accidentally erased my setup menu.

'was following directions to initialize settings to factory default. after entering the setup/maintenance menu & entering 'yes' to initialize, the unit freezes with 'setup' displayed on the front panel and nothing on the tv screen. 5 minutes later i unplugged the unit & restarted it. sd-dvd's & cd's still play as long as i avoid setup. once i enter setup menu, the unit freezes with same 'setup' on front panel and blank screen on tv.

any suggestions on how to get my setup menu back?
post #4988 of 5103 Old 01-10-2008, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I would download via your computer the latest firmware and install it. As it installs from a CD you should be OK and then see if that brings back the menu.

post #4989 of 5103 Old 01-10-2008, 10:12 PM

thanks stevo, 'will give it a try.
post #4990 of 5103 Old 01-11-2008, 12:23 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardd View Post

i'm using my hda1 as a cd-player & an upscaling sd-dvd player. it is now temporarily hooked-up to an old jvc tv via s-video.

seems i accidentally erased my setup menu.

'was following directions to initialize settings to factory default. after entering the setup/maintenance menu & entering 'yes' to initialize, the unit freezes with 'setup' displayed on the front panel and nothing on the tv screen. 5 minutes later i unplugged the unit & restarted it. sd-dvd's & cd's still play as long as i avoid setup. once i enter setup menu, the unit freezes with same 'setup' on front panel and blank screen on tv.

any suggestions on how to get my setup menu back?

Did you push the V.OUTPUT button on the remote? When you initialize, the player resets to default settings and you have to change back to hdmi.
post #4991 of 5103 Old 01-12-2008, 09:08 AM

As you can tell from the title, I have an HD-A1 and the Anthem AVM50 preamp. I currently am using the HDMI connection for audio and video, and it works very well.

Has anyone done a comparison of the anolog vs HDMI outs for audio? Does anyone have a recommendation?

Thanks in advance,

Ron
post #4992 of 5103 Old 01-21-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arioch View Post

I have one of the old converters from Dtrovision however and it works perfectly.
So, technically it's no problem at all.
Actually, any DVI/HDMI-splitter removes HDCP on all outputs except the first one, otherwise the splitting wouldn't work. Only two devices can exchange HDCP-handshakes at a time, so all splitters have to remove the HDCP like that...

Are you sure its that simple ?
post #4993 of 5103 Old 01-22-2008, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoneinax View Post

Are you sure its that simple ?

I'm pretty sure that it was when I wrote that, it was some time ago.
The splitters I have tried does it like that, but of course some players might refuse to function when connected to such a splitter.
The HD-A1 is however not one of them, I know from my own experience that it plays just fine if connected to a splitter that removes HDCP on outputs 2, 3, 4 etc.
Note that I'm talking about SPLITTERS, not switchers.

However, some time has passed since I wrote that which You quote, and I haven't really tried any new splitters for a while, so it might be untrue for many newer splitters.
But if You get a hold of a splitter that is a couple of years old (for example a Dtrovision/PureLink), then it should work just fine.
post #4994 of 5103 Old 02-18-2008, 08:42 AM

Liked: 13
Well, with the impending announcement from Toshiba that it will halt production of HD-DVD devices, I guess we have to face the fact that if we want to continue to get movies, etc. in HD, we are going to have to make the switch to Blu-ray. Now what are we going to do with all of our HD DVD players and discs?
post #4995 of 5103 Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The A1 is on of the supreme-o SD-DVD players out there in my opinion and it will stay in the rack. I'm still going to buy media if it's something I really want in HD and it's not out on Blu.
post #4996 of 5103 Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Thomas View Post

Well, with the impending announcement from Toshiba that it will halt production of HD-DVD devices, I guess we have to face the fact that if we want to continue to get movies, etc. in HD, we are going to have to make the switch to Blu-ray. Now what are we going to do with all of our HD DVD players and discs?

Yep my A2 works great and is a fantastic Upconverting DVD Player. I may buy a few more New releases like Beowulf, and then as the firesales commence, otherwise I'm Blu on the few HD Disks I actually buy
post #4997 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 05:58 AM

So, how can we turn this machine into a multi-region SD dvd player like the A2 etc? If I could, then I'd keep it as my HD & DVD player for all my discs!

I'm tempted to sell mine and get a HD DVD Rom for the HTPC and just use that! I only have about 25 films, so not sure its worth holding onto!
post #4998 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 06:09 AM

I am keeping my A1 and moving it to our basement and going to order an A35 today.
At the price I feel that even with HD gone, it still makes a great upconverter as does the A1.

post #4999 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I bought my A1 on Apr. 26, 2006 - it is still playing discs flawlessly. I still have the 2 year warranty on it from BB. I wonder if they would replace it if it broke?
post #5000 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnacha View Post

I'm tempted to sell mine and get a HD DVD Rom for the HTPC and just use that! I only have about 25 films, so not sure its worth holding onto!

Used units are only selling for about 60 bucks, tops on ebay
Is it really worth selling?
We all got into this knowing it would very possibly be a poor financial investment.
At the time it was worthwhile to get a taste of HD at half the price (or less) of blu ray.

to each his own...
post #5001 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:

We all got into this knowing it would very possibly be a poor financial investment.
At the time it was worthwhile to get a taste of HD at half the price (or less) of blu ray.

I'm keeping mine (HD-A1) for the HD discs I have, but it is also an excellent up-converting DVD player. I'm considering picking up a newer model to have just for that. I understand that Blu-ray players don't up-convert very well.
post #5002 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The average Blu-ray player scales as well as the average HD-DVD player.

The best HD-DVD players do seem better at it than the best Blu-ray players though.
post #5003 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:

I don't regret buying it at all and love it to bits, but I use a HTPC for upscaling my DVDs and play blurays. My ultimate goal is to have it all from the HTPC, so the A1 will be surplus to requirements, but would not be if it played multiregion & PAL SD DVDs!
post #5004 of 5103 Old 02-19-2008, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnacha View Post

I don't regret buying it at all and love it to bits, but I use a HTPC for upscaling my DVDs and play blurays. My ultimate goal is to have it all from the HTPC, so the A1 will be surplus to requirements, but would not be if it played multiregion & PAL SD DVDs!

I hear you.
I read recently about an internal drive that plays both BD and HD-DVDs for about $400.

to each his own...
post #5005 of 5103 Old 04-14-2008, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Two years ago today, this thread burst upon AVS, and thus began our HD DVD player experience.

Things have quieted down now, changes have come, life goes on, and here is a toast to the HD player that started it all for many of us!

The Mod Squad: New vs. Classic TV Series Opening https://vimeo.com/63119329
post #5006 of 5103 Old 04-14-2008, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Two years ago today, this thread burst upon AVS, and thus began our HD DVD player experience.

Things have quieted down now, changes have come, life goes on, and here is a toast to the HD player that started it all for many of us!

Ditto from me. I got mine on May 1, 2006. It was a blast following that first thread. I haven't ever been as excited about a CE product as I was those days.........Good times, good times!
post #5007 of 5103 Old 04-14-2008, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoob View Post

Ditto from me. I got mine on May 1, 2006. It was a blast following that first thread. I haven't ever been as excited about a CE product as I was those days.........Good times, good times!

It goes on and on for me. I still have my A1 and now own several others. I now have nearly 200 discs and can't for the life of me see why people would jump and give up this. Unlike the change to other new technologies, the quality of video/audio from these at least equals what the other technology has. And, they made over 500 titles. I can see why people jumped from laserdisc, VHS, etc. (the new tech replacing it was better) but why would you not hang onto this for quite a while?

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #5008 of 5103 Old 04-14-2008, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blasst View Post

Yes, I still have the A1 and I got it the day it came out (4/06) from BB. I now have the A1, 2 A35's and 1 A30. I got the A30 and 2nd A35 as backups because I want to enjoy the HD DVD movies for years to come.

lujan
658 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #5009 of 5103 Old 05-06-2008, 06:20 AM

Has any member downloaded and installed the latest firmware ver 3.0? Have you seen any improvements?
post #5010 of 5103 Old 05-06-2008, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Interesting question -- I see it's not available for ISO download. Anbody have any experience with the April 23 3.0 release?
Reply HD DVD Players

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page